• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My Depth Chart (For your Convenience--Top 10 needs included)

MHS831

Well done.  Thielen should be listed as a slot receiver, so the second receiver slot is still a need. Mingo still May develop but I think this is where we go with the 33rd pick and get a first round grade receiver  in a deep WR draft. 

Edited by NAS
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Here is what concerns me about C--they have already announced moving Corbett there and I think they have made Mays the backup C.  They have other open starting positions and they have not announced it.  I think they will draft a C if the BPA is there, but I worry that they see it at least covered, on paper, for now.  I feel confident that there are 4 positions that have nobody in the starting position (SS, CB, Edge, and possibly TE.)  I am very worried about depth at WR, CB, DL, LB, OL etc etc.   A swiss army RB, reserve Mike LB, etc.  Someone said that Shaq is gone (cap) and they need to find his replacement. 

Fitterer really, really sucked.  Bad.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, NAS said:

Well done.  Thielen should be listed as a slot receiver, so the second receiver slot is still a need. Mingo still May develop but I think this is where we go with the 33rd pick and get a first round grade receiver  in a deep WR draft. 

Yeah, I did not break down the WRs into their roles and that makes WR seem like less of a need. I did color the need square with the "starter" color.  I think we go Edge and WR in round 2 with a possibility to add a CB--but I think we add a few free agents that make this easier.  CB has to be one--We are probably about to see some 1-year contracts soon.

Edited by MHS831

19 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

No, but if you had 10 players considering our situation across the board, is C a top 10?  While C is an uncertainty, we have indisputable needs for starters in the following areas:

Starter Needs

Edge

CB

SS

WR

TE

I am not disagreeing with you, but we also need depth a ILB, CB, CB, RB, FS. so is a position with an established OL and even a backup in year 3 still that big of a need?  Every team has its weak spots--I see the point being made

At this point I may be overvaluing offensive players just solely on the fact the Panthers need to see if Bryce develops. It's extremely important to know what we have with him by the end of the next season. A center would solidify the offensive line depth, aside from maybe left tackle.

A tight end that could turn into a pro-bowler would be amazing, but those guys usually take several years to develop, and it's not an outright priority in my mind. As depth later in the draft sure, but I wouldn't prioritize them.

There's also the idea in my mind that this defense most likely will not have a pass-rush next year and so will be very porous.

Let's say we add an edge from the draft that develops into an elite player. This most likely is not going to be something that happens in one season or even two. With that in mind, with loss of depth across the board, and outright holes means I'm not very concerned with having complete defense next season. This, in my opinion, devaluates positions such as safety and to a degree linebacker. As I don't consider these 'premium' positions that must be developed in the next few years.

Edge is necessary to start finding and developing ASAP, but with years ahead in mind. Talented corner depth is also necessary to find, unless we're betting on Horn being healthy from this point forward. The rest of the defense I'm not super pressed about as the weak pass-rush will be hard to overcome.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very much BPA for this draft early, and almost always for that matter. If there's a blue-chip guy that falls that's a tight end or safety or linebacker and we like them, it's fine, it's great even, take them. However, I'm personally not looking for those tertiary positions in this draft as the defense at this point is far from complete or even competitive and I view keeping Bryce Young upright as the number one priority of this off-season.

Edited by Krovvy
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Krovvy said:

At this point I may be overvaluing offensive players just solely on the fact the Panthers need to see if Bryce develops. It's extremely important to know what we have with him by the end of the next season. A center would solidify the offensive line depth, aside from maybe left tackle.

A tight end that could turn into a pro-bowler would be amazing, but those guys usually take several years to develop, and it's not an outright priority in my mind. As depth later in the draft sure, but I wouldn't prioritize them.

There's also the idea in my mind that this defense most likely will not have a pass-rush next year and so will be very porous.

Let's say we add an edge from the draft that develops into an elite player. This most likely is not going to be something that happens in one season or even two. With that in mind, with loss of depth across the board, and outright holes means I'm not very concerned with having complete defense next season. This, in my mind, devaluates positions such as safety and to a degree linebacker. As I don't consider these 'premium' positions that must be developed in the next few years.

Edge is necessary to start finding and developing ASAP, but with years ahead in mind. Talented corner depth is also necessary to find, unless we're betting on Horn being healthy from this point forward. The rest of the defense I'm not super pressed about as the weak pass-rush will be hard to overcome.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very much BPA for this draft early, and almost always for that matter. If there's a blue-chip guy that falls that's a tight end or safety or linebacker and we like them, it's fine, it's great even, take them. However, I'm personally not looking for those tertiary positions in this draft as the defense at this point is far from complete or even competitive and I view keeping Bryce Young upright as the number one priority of this off-season.

I think we are going to address edge within the next day or two, but that is with a questionable player at best---we still could use a veteran.

Gonna read this more carefully and maybe respond later--some very thoughtful and valid points in here.

• Pie 1

Tremble is the starter at TE.  Would we like better?  Sure but, he’ll have to do this year.  Perhaps he surprises and continues to develop into the long term solution.  Some players take 3-4 years to come into their own; this could be the year.  Maybe.

Corbett at C is an experiment and Mays is still unproven.  Time to take a C in a year when there are some very good options.

Mingo will have to be WR2 this year.  Time to see if Mingo belongs on the roster or not. 

Since we are finally (finally!) doing a full roster rebuild, we really should be drafting BPA at 33, 39 and R3.  If we are drafting for need, Edge, Corner, C.  Start all three on day 1; this is a rebuild year.

Low cost FA’s and later round draft picks will have to be our depth and the 2-3 positions without obvious starters.  This is not a one year rebuild.  Bite the bullet and do it right this time.

Edited by bythenbrs

Center is definitely a need but i dont know if its a second round need. I would look at somebody like beau limmer in the later rounds who could come in and start right away having 2 very good guards next to him.  I wouldnt be opposed to nose tackle in the second round,  remember the defense had trouble stopping the run at times cuz we were just to small up front outside of brown. We still dont have the right players to run a 34 like that and getting somebody like tvondre sweat would go a long way in fixing that. 

Edited by CPF4LIFE
  • Pie 1

I get the worry about C.  I don't see it as a top 10 need nor do I see Mays as being the backup C by default.  Corbs going to C was prudent but it is indeed a good draft for C. SVP, Limmer, Nugent out of Michigan could come in as a backup OC/OG type of deal.  We are in no way done with the line this off season. Not saying they are throwing a bunch more money at it, but it's not in it's final form.

Defense.. Yeah it looks rough now, I'm waiting for more moves to be made before I hit the panic button there.  CB is for sure a need but I've been pounding the table for them to grab a guy with starter potential to eventually usurp Donte for a min now.  Work in progress though, I don't feel one way or another at this point.

12 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Center is definitely a need but i dont know if its a second round need. I would look at somebody like beau limmer in the later rounds who could come in and start right away having 2 very good guards next to him.  I wouldnt be opposed to nose tackle in the second round,  remember the defense had trouble stopping the run at times cuz we were just to small up front outside of brown. We still dont have the right players to run a 34 like that and getting somebody like tvondre sweat would go a long way in fixing that. 

a 2nd round C isn't a solution for 2024.  Not saying we shouldn't draft one.  But you got to assume that's a developmental pick when we make it no matter the round.  

I think outside of WR/RB or LB/Edge player.....it's really hard to expect too much from most rookie positions in year 1. 

i think given our budget constraints, we're looking at the 5 to 10 mil per player for edge (clowney - spotrac 7.2 m), safety(? Jordan Whitehead - no spotrac value available), corner (?), and tight end (Noah Fant -spotrac value 6.2 m).

Chase Young is slated to get 13 m according to spotrac, if thats close to true, i say pass on that. Get Clowney, maybe try to snag Wonnum as well. i know he gets injured but Carl Lawson is still putting up stats and can be gotten for cheap maybe a depth piece. 

4 hours ago, MHS831 said:

This scared me.  I realize we have more free agency, the draft, and then even undrafted free agents---I still do not see how they are going to field a decent team===and then there is the QB question mark at best.

We haven't fielded a decent team in nearly a decade.  It's not going to be this season either. They should be a bit better and hopefully not the worst team in the league this season.  But I would not expect much of anything drastically changing this season. 

55 minutes ago, Panthero said:

i think given our budget constraints, we're looking at the 5 to 10 mil per player for edge (clowney - spotrac 7.2 m), safety(? Jordan Whitehead - no spotrac value available), corner (?), and tight end (Noah Fant -spotrac value 6.2 m).

Chase Young is slated to get 13 m according to spotrac, if thats close to true, i say pass on that. Get Clowney, maybe try to snag Wonnum as well. i know he gets injured but Carl Lawson is still putting up stats and can be gotten for cheap maybe a depth piece. 

The Panthers will have to add the bad team surcharge on the FA contracts. 

• Beer 1