• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Did Scott Fitterer draft any good players?

14 minutes ago, Basbear said:

I still think those first two years fall on rhule, but his 1st year at the wheel was nothing short of terrible results for both draft and FA players. 

20/20 and allll, but I think tepper should have hired a former GM instead of a rookie one. 

The drafts all looked the same whether Rhule was here or not, it was Fitt and he fuging sucks, never seen a guy get so many passes. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 hours ago, PootieNunu said:

Lmao on the slight edge to Hurney, the dude has drafted All Pros/HOFs/Pro bowlers, Fitt has drafted a bunch of Jags. 

Huge edge to Hurney. 

Hurney had many more drafts too. He hit on an average of one pick per draft, the first one.  He gets the edge because his one hit was usually better than Fitterers. But he was a bad GM too. 

26 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Hurney had many more drafts too. He hit on an average of one pick per draft, the first one.  He gets the edge because his one hit was usually better than Fitterers. But he was a bad GM too. 

Hurney is a legend at drafting 1st rounders. Honestly one of the best all-time. He hit on a few later round picks over his long tenure and signed some big time free agents who paid off big, but his biggest downfall was overpaying to re-sign veterans which lead to a lack of quality depth on most of the teams he built. But overall, Hurney was responsible for drafting, trading for, or signing the overwhelming majority of Panthers legends. 

It’s funny because Mr. Scot would literally keel over and die before he admits Hurney was a better GM than Scott Fitterer though. I swear to god he has some personal vendetta against him, maybe just too much emotional investment in the team. 

On 4/5/2024 at 10:51 AM, AU-panther said:

This is why its comical when people disparage fans for an opinion or thinking they could do better.  Granted, your good front office people are smarter than most fans, but anyone can be terrible.

I could take a big board list from ESPN or PFF and let my dog paw at it and he would at least be terrible also.

Highly highly debatable that the people that actually work in football front offices are smarter than the average fan. The NFL is a genuine certified bonafide electrified six car good ol boy network. 

• Beer 2

41 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Hurney is a legend at drafting 1st rounders. Honestly one of the best all-time. He hit on a few later round picks over his long tenure and signed some big time free agents who paid off big, but his biggest downfall was overpaying to re-sign veterans which lead to a lack of quality depth on most of the teams he built. But overall, Hurney was responsible for drafting, trading for, or signing the overwhelming majority of Panthers legends. 

It’s funny because Mr. Scot would literally keel over and die before he admits Hurney was a better GM than Scott Fitterer though. I swear to god he has some personal vendetta against him, maybe just too much emotional investment in the team. 

Where is Mr. Scot?

Horn is good but can’t stay healthy. So that’s a C. Icky should be a guard but they keep trotting him out at LT. That’s a C.  Young gets a D right now with how absolutely inadequate he looked at QB. 2nd worst QB play since pickles.   If Young/pillows sucks this year, Fitt will be know ans drafting one of THE BIGGEST busts in NFL history.  Ryan leaf Jam Russel level bad.  Overall, he gets a strong F.  That’s why homeboy is out of a job. 

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

I wouldn’t deny Hurney was better, but the gap ain’t that big. Yea Hurney drafted some really good players in the first but he still had some misses there. If we’re going to fault Fitterer for Horn’s injury history, we have to give Hurney a big L on Otah. 

12 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I wouldn’t deny Hurney was better, but the gap ain’t that big. Yea Hurney drafted some really good players in the first but he still had some misses there. If we’re going to fault Fitterer for Horn’s injury history, we have to give Hurney a big L on Otah. 

Hurney drafted Newton and Fitts drafted Young.....

That's a big gap.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Johnstonny said:

Where is Mr. Scot?

He's been dealing with some life issues and probably doesn't want to continue to be berated about his outspoken support of Scott Fitterer over the years. Now on the one hand I say at some point we have to let him move on from his mistake. On the other hand though many here know how condescending he could get toward anyone that challenged him on the subject. Funny enough on the subject of David Tepper he used to tell me personally I was being paranoid and engaging in conspiracy theories because I felt Tepper was involving himself too much in team personnel matters. Well look where we are now and look what we know now. Mr. Scot has previously and still can bring good content here. But if he wants to move on from his position on Fitterer he needs to just admit even the man who he used to badmouth on a regular basis for being an awful GM (Marty Hurney) is and was significantly better. At least he could hit in the first damn round!

4 minutes ago, frankw said:

He's been dealing with some life issues and probably doesn't want to continue to be berated about his outspoken support of Scott Fitterer over the years. Now on the one hand I say at some point we have to let him move on from his mistake. On the other hand though many here know how condescending he could get toward anyone that challenged him on the subject. Funny enough on the subject of David Tepper he used to tell me personally I was being paranoid and engaging in conspiracy theories because I felt Tepper was involving himself too much in team personnel matters. Well look where we are now and look what we know now. Mr. Scot has previously and still can bring good content here. But if he wants to move on from his position on Fitterer he needs to just admit even the man who he used to badmouth on a regular basis for being an awful GM (Marty Hurney) is and was significantly better. At least he could hit in the first damn round!

We have have our misses but digging in and dying on the Fitterer hill is probably the most bizarre argument this board has seen in years

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

Hurney drafted Newton and Fitts drafted Young.....

That's a big gap.

It's a longshot but something could still happen for Bryce Young. I doubt he will ever be anywhere near that significant of a centerpiece as Cam Newton was to the Panthers though. The sad thing is leading up to the draft of all the QB's in the class Stroud reminded me of Cam the most. The way he carried himself. He acted like he actually wanted to prove himself instead of hiding at the combine. He seemed genuine. He was as we know now despite people trying to sabotage him.

At the end of the day no matter how much hopium any of us can fill ourselves with none of us can escape the fact we seemingly shot a brick and faceplanted onto the floor when given an easy layup repeat of the 2011 QB draft class with the first overall pick. We didn't even opt for Marcell Dareus. We took a tiny Blaine Gabbert.

The documentary years from now about the top 2 picks of the 2023 draft is going to be entertaining.

Edited by frankw