• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers plan to revisit signing Stephon Gilmore after draft

When edge rusher Jadeveon Clowney signed with the Panthers last month, he said that he was going to urge his former high school teammate Stephon Gilmore to join him in Charlotte. 

Gilmore has not landed a deal with the team yet, but it remains a possibility. Gilmore and the Panthers were in contact earlier this offseason and General Manager Dan Morgan said at a Thursday press conference, via Darin Gantt of the team’s website, that the door is still open. 

It’s going to remain that way at least a little while longer. Morgan said that the team plans to revisit the possibility of adding Gilmore to the roster after next week’s draft. 

Gilmore played for the Panthers in 2021 and moved on to the Colts and Cowboys the last two years. His most successful run came with the Patriots from 2017 to 2020. Gilmore was named defensive player of the year in 2019 and he made two All-Pro teams before being traded to Carolina.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/panthers-plan-to-revisit-possible-stephon-gilmore-signing-after-draft

feels like Gilmore wants to get paid more than the Panthers want to do.....but if they can't solve their DB problem they will give him what he wants.  Think Gantt touched on the pay dilemma I think a couple weeks ago. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Interesting, but his price could be impacted by what the Panthers do at CB during the draft.  I still say they need 2.

If you are going to pay a free agent, however, sign former Dolphin Center Connor Williams.  He is 26, coming off surgery which could make him unavailable for summer camp and maybe a few weeks into the season, but he would be cheaper considering that surgery. 

Perfect for zone schemes, and I think that is where we are headed.

We are building, not providing retirement plans for over the hill Rock Hillians.

23 minutes ago, T-Wazzle said:

We aren't a playoff team anyway, why sign a 34 year old CB.

Develop somebody. 

Because the other 10 players won't get to develop since they will be throwing it to whatever Day 3 CB we roll out there. 

I would do both. Draft a guy and bring in Gilmore. 

We all know Jaycee Horn's ass will be out by week 3.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

• 2 weeks later...

Im really hoping that we sign him. I get we are not a playoff team, but we need to put the best product out on the field as possible. Because..

1. Im tired of watching shitty football

2. A good defense will also help put Bryce in a better position.

To me this year is all about Bryce and a good defense impacts play calling and therefore how Bryce is used.  

• Pie 1