• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

BREAKING: Panthers insider leaks pick #39

Just now, MHS831 said:

I am guessing we might have a shot at Kool-Aid or Saintrisil.  I am really getting tired of last names that are difficult to pronounce//remember.

We seem to like Saintrisil a lot and he would make a good leader on the defense.  Still seems a little high for a strictly NB, but maybe he can play some outside as well just undersized?

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

We seem to like Saintrisil a lot and he would make a good leader on the defense.  Still seems a little high for a strictly NB, but maybe he can play some outside as well just undersized?

Outside wise - check out Sainristil against Marvin Jr. when Johnson went down in that crazy game. 

He held his own against one of the top WR prospect in forever, at hair under 5'10.  The year prior, same rivalry game, a moment at NB, had to stack up in the slot against a 6'4 250 TE in Stover and had one of the best plays you'll see to swat the ball away from the defender in a crucial moment in the endzone.  As with any guy he has misses on tape, but his highs are big highs in big moments.  

And between Evero's penny front (the nickel 3-3-5 we disguise as a 5-1), dime, and our other subpackages, he loves using slot corners and runs heavy zone with high % blitzes.   We really haven't had ideal guys for him yet --did get some who had experience in the system like Hill.  Chinn was tried a bit and didn't work out, others rotated in but we never found our long term answer.  And that's the bulk of our defensive snaps.  We have 6 DBs on the field quite a lot.    

And historically, Evero seems preferential and totally fine with shorter DBs.  Interestingly-Who is the best rated zone DB in the draft? Sainristil (at least according to pff).  Not to mention being the captain, spoke of as a coach amongst players, being a tough willing blitzer, solid/aggressive run defender, and the best ballhawk on his team (one of the top in the country).  He made big plays in big games.   Lot's of good IMO, but yes, slot corner high is a ballsy move.

Some good info: https://theathletic.com/5392472/2024/04/05/raiders-nfl-draft-prospects-mike-sainristil/

One of the articles that sold me--

“He was pissing me off — he was calling out formations, routes,” McMillan said at the NFL Scouting Combine last month.

“He’s an undersized nickel who can probably give you some time at safety,” The Athletic draft writer Nick Baumgardner said. “More importantly, though, there’s not a better defensive leader/table setter in this class than Mike Sainristil. (He’s) extremely intelligent in coverage and a fearless run defender who also caused problems as a blitzer.”

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Outside wise - check out Sainristil against Marvin Jr. when Johnson went down in that crazy game. 

He held his own against one of the top WR prospect in forever, at hair under 5'10.  The year prior, same rivalry game, a moment at NB, had to stack up in the slot against a 6'4 250 TE in Stover and had one of the best plays you'll see to swat the ball away from the defender in a crucial moment in the endzone.  As with any guy he has misses on tape, but his highs are big highs in big moments.  

And between Evero's penny front (the nickel 3-3-5 we disguise as a 5-1), dime, and our other subpackages, he loves using slot corners and runs heavy zone with high % blitzes.   We really haven't had ideal guys for him yet --did get some who had experience in the system like Hill.  Chinn was tried a bit and didn't work out, others rotated in but we never found our long term answer.  And that's the bulk of our defensive snaps.  We have 6 DBs on the field quite a lot.    

And historically, Evero seems preferential and totally fine with shorter DBs.  Interestingly-Who is the best rated zone DB in the draft? Sainristil (at least according to pff).  Not to mention being the captain, spoke of as a coach amongst players, being a tough willing blitzer, solid/aggressive run defender, and the best ballhawk on his team (one of the top in the country).  He made big plays in big games.   Lot's of good IMO, but yes, slot corner high is a ballsy move.

Some good info: https://theathletic.com/5392472/2024/04/05/raiders-nfl-draft-prospects-mike-sainristil/

One of the articles that sold me--

Ok I’m sold! Gimme! 

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Ok I’m sold! Gimme! 

Not everyone will be fans of a slot corner early, but I'm personally sold on the player.

Thing is, ILB is critical for our two-high shell.  They need to be fast sideline to sideline, be able to close in quickly, hover all over and Shaq coming off injury scares me.  

Colson or Cooper could make a lot of sense.  Don't know how we'd do if we're looking at journeymen at LB this year.  Very important for the Fangio disciple defenses.  

• Pie 1

Just now, Bear Hands said:

Not everyone will be fans of a slot corner early, but I'm personally sold on the player.

Thing is, ILB is critical for our two-high shell.  They need to be fast sideline to sideline, be able to close in quickly, hover all over and Shaq coming off injury scares me.  

Colson or Cooper could make a lot of sense.  Don't know how we'd do if we're looking at journeymen at LB this year.  Very important for the Fangio disciple defenses.  

we need a starter at 39

3 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

If not one of the centers, Cooper/Wilson/Colson are my preference. 

Edited by JawnyBlaze

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

we need a starter at 39

Just depends I suppose how you qualify starter when there's a NB who can play the star role that would be in there at a higher snap % than some technical starters.  

There's about 7-9 always out there--Both ILBs, two starting S, two outside CBs, 2 of the 3 DL, 1 of the two EDGE guys.  Our remaining edge rotation and 3rd-4th DBs are still pretty much starters.  

But sure, if we have an outside corner we love, I imagine that would take precedent (I.E. Kool-Aid or Tampa).  Same goes if they think Kneeland is a 3-down guy.  

Just now, Bear Hands said:

Just depends I suppose how you qualify starter when there's a NB who can play the star role would be in there at a higher snap % than some technical starters.  

There's about 7-9 always out there--Both ILBs, two starting S, two outside CBs, 2 of the 3 DL, 1 of the two EDGE guys.  Our remaining edge rotation and 3rd-4th DBs are still pretty much starters.  

But sure, if we have an outside corner we love, I imagine that would take precedent (I.E. Kool-Aid or Tampa).  Same goes if they think Kneeland is a 3-down guy.  

a top center would be aces.  If we dont go center at some point and when corbett goes down, this entire revamped line is at the mercy of whoever they sign off the street

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

a top center would be aces.  If we dont go center at some point and when corbett goes down, this entire revamped line is at the mercy of whoever they sign off the street

Ah - yeah I got sucked in thinking only about defense haha.  Totally fair.