• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How short a leash will Young be on?

Jmac

25 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

If we didn't draft Young and had kept DJ, we probably wouldn't have ended up with the #1 pick though. Probably pick somewhere in the  6 to 10 range. 

and that would also be much better than where the panthers currently are

• Beer 2

25 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

If we didn't draft Young and had kept DJ, we probably wouldn't have ended up with the #1 pick though. Probably pick somewhere in the  6 to 10 range. 

Still could've taken a qb at 6. To me picking inside the top 10 may indicate that you have a qb problem. Of course there could be other issues like terrible coach or lack of a complete team. But none of that would prevent me from taking a chance on one were it me making the decision. 

• Beer 2

5 hours ago, CRA said:

that's not where my head expects things to be.....but realistically, it's going to make Bryce uniquely different than all his peers at #1.  Even the "bad" ones.  

Did we overdraft him? I think so.  But that doesn't really matter.  The org, fans, media, etc largely is going to acknowledge what he was drafted to be.  QB is weird.  I think you could get away with drafting a DE #1 overall and he end up being a Charles Johnson caliber DE (slow progression where he sort of comes into his own in year 4) vs a Julius Peppers.   Hard to imagine QB being treated as such.  I think if Bryce has a future of being "solid"....it likely ends up being w/ another team.  His expectations, fair or not, or for more than solid here. 

It's not that you drafted a QB #1 overall.

It's that you gave the Bears literally everything for the right to do so. 

• Beer 2

8 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

It's not that you drafted a QB #1 overall.

It's that you gave the Bears literally everything for the right to do so. 

Going into the draft their biggest mistake was thinking they were a qb away. Their second biggest mistake was trading up. It went down hill from there. Turning down the Rams picks was a harbinger of things to come.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Going into the draft their biggest mistake was thinking they were a qb away. Their second biggest mistake was trading up. It went down hill from there. Turning down the Rams picks was a harbinger of things to come.

A bunch of us were screaming that.  fug fat fitterer.    Should have rolled with the 9th pick and see what Corral had

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

A bunch of us were screaming that.  fug fat fitterer.    Should have rolled with the 9th pick and see what Corral had

Hell they could have drafted whoever fell to them and tried again this year. So many choices and they chose poorly. 

Posted (edited)

Corral didn’t have poo which basically puts us in the same place in the standings, hmm. I think you’d have been on to something.

edit: and yeah I’m all for fliers on fallen QB prospects. 2nd day is even better. Just do it until you get lucky.

Edited by strato
  • Beer 1

Just now, strato said:

Corral didn’t have poo which basically puts us in the same place in the standings, hmm. I think you’d have been on to something.

I wasn't against it. But I tend to look at the big picture where most want instant gratification. 

32 minutes ago, strato said:

edit: and yeah I’m all for fliers on fallen QB prospects. 2nd day is even better. Just do it until you get lucky.

I'm a little bummed at the lackluster udfa signing. It's not meant for any sort of qb competition. Devin Leary, Hartman, Austin Reed, Pratt, Travis, all could have actually pushed Bryce a little bit to step up his game. Pretty much all went where we could have taken a flyer on them

• Beer 1

So what will define a successful season for Bryce Young in 2024? Please don't come with the "look like a real NFL QB" type responses. Like statistically. Yards, TDs, INTs, QBR, wins, etc.

What will it take for the masses to believe Bryce is the franchise QB they drafted, and last year was just a cluster fug of bad team ball? 

20 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

So what will define a successful season for Bryce Young in 2024? Please don't come with the "look like a real NFL QB" type responses. Like statistically. Yards, TDs, INTs, QBR, wins, etc.

What will it take for the masses to believe Bryce is the franchise QB they drafted, and last year was just a cluster fug of bad team ball? 

Interested to hear from the Bryce optimists on this, something other than "show improvement"

28 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

I'll go first:

4000 yards passing

20 TDs passing and rushing

Anything less would be disappointing in my eyes.

3 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

I'll go first:

4000 yards passing

20 TDs passing and rushing

Anything less would be disappointing in my eyes.

I was going to say 2020 Teddy numbers as the floor, since that wasn't good enough for Tepper/Rhule/whoever decided to go on that fuging qb carousel. If TB played all 17 games it would have been right about what you listed. 7.6 yards per attempt, up from BY's season 1 5.5.