• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2024 Who would you have picked

SOJA

My take assuming all the same trades were made.:

Rd1 (32)-Ladd McConkey -WR

Rd2 (14)-Chris Braswell - Edge

Rd3 (8)- Peyton Wilson- ILB

Rd4 (1)- Audric Estime- RB

Rd5 (22)-Chau Wade-Smith- CB (the reason I like this pick)

Rd6 (24)- Beau Limmer- C

Rd7 (20)- Justin Rogers - NT

I know we missed out on a TE, but it was a weak draft and with Thomas and Temble as #1 and #2, dude wouldn't have seen the field much anyway outside of STs.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Pie 1

They really should have gotten JPJ or Frazier in R2 and picked up a RB later 

R1 Legette

R2 JPJ or Frazier can't remember which was available, both were if we didn't trade down iirc 

R3 Payton Wilson 

R4 Sanders or RB of choice 

R5-R7 depth, personally I woudlve gotten Brendan Rice in R6 

Edited by Hoenheim

Just now, Hoenheim said:

They really should have gotten JPJ or Frazier in R2 and picked up a RB later 

Yup or Edge.  Edge guys take time to develop and we have a bunch of short term rentals there.  Needed a youngster to groom for 2025.  I don't dislike Brooks, just where we drafted him.

About Wilson-yes, he played a sensational season at NCSU in 2023. He may never have another injury.  But if you draft him, you must always have a suitable replacement ready to go.  You might carry 5 ILBs instead of 4, for example.  You must be able and ready to adjust your game plan...I realize that is the case for all of these players---heck, the Colts drafted a player who was told he would never play football again, but with Wilson, I would struggle for peace of mind.  I had the same insecurity about Thomas D after his third ACL--and he turned out fine.  I just saw so many players get injured in college and it changes you mentally and physically.  How long until age slows Payton through his injury?  He is 23 now, after 2 NFL seasons, what will be the impact?  I am sure they have these answers, but he scared me.  Regardless, I thought he could be our pick at #39.  The fact that so many teams passed him by means something.

I should also note that Ian Rappaport said that Wilson had a lingering left shoulder issue that was not repaired during surgery--he wears a brace that limits range of motion.  LBs need their shoulders, and he probably takes pain killers before and after games and practices to help cope.   Eventually, it mentally catches up to you.  In college, they would give us cortisone shots and we were fine--until they wore off.  Is that happening?  Although the teams cannot administer those kinds of drugs any longer, players who want a payday can get them.  Conspiracy theory?  Yeah, prolly, but I played in a different age.  Still, the mental impact of a lingering injury or condition is in your brain, and your brain's primary job is to protect you. 

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

On 4/28/2024 at 1:41 PM, SOJA said:

with all the negativity right now, I think a fun exercise would be to see if you were GM who would you have picked. It's too complicated to go back through all the trades so let's just pretend those are set in stone. Here's how I would have done it:

This will be fun to bump in a year when I am completely wrong about all of this. 

FWIW this is not a complaining thread it's more of an exercise to show that for all of you negativity it's actually really hard to nail drafts in real time. 

32- Ladd

46- AD Mitchell

72- Christian Haynes

101- Theo Johnson

157- Caelen Carson

200- Cedric Johnson

240- Beau Brade

I would go back in time, not trade for Young. I would’ve grabbed O’Torrance, Kincaid, Charbonnet, resigned Darnold and rolled with him. Would’ve drafted Marvin Mims as well. 

Then, assuming we sucked, I would’ve taken Drake Maye. I’m an anything but Carolina fan, and I think Maye has Hall of Fame potential. 

Give me Maye, Mims, Charbonnet, Diontae Washington, DJ Moore, Dalton Kincaid, Adam Theilen, and a power run scheme with heavy play action.  

that’s just my fantasy though. Tepper fuged it up man.