• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Some Media Panthers Draft Grades & Some Thoughts

TD alt

1 hour ago, TD alt said:

I forgot to mention that overall we probably received a B. Like some said in the other thread, the real or practical grade comes after the season. 

The best improvement comes after the second full off-season.

So the start of 2025 is when the fair grade/judgement can take place. 

*this changes if the player is cut or makes a all-pro/pro bowl/SB MVP etc. 

1 hour ago, TD alt said:

I think that sometimes fans get caught up in the names and media-driven hype, while the more analytically minded, and the experts---including GMs, team scouts and coaches realize that team building isn't about that. 

I don’t see that. Year after year, fans get it right more often than the ‘experts’.

Especially when it comes to the Panthers.

One thing I keep coming back to is: edge is a very difficult position to find quality players at. It's entirely possible outside of the top three guys we had all of the other edges rated very low. overdrafting one of them is how you get DJ Johnson

1 minute ago, SOJA said:

One thing I keep coming back to is: edge is a very difficult position to find quality players at. It's entirely possible outside of the top three guys we had all of the other edges rated very low. overdrafting one of them is how you get DJ Johnson

There were more than a few comments on nfl network that eluded to this being a bad draft to need edge help.

• Pie 1

31 minutes ago, Tbe said:

I don’t see that. Year after year, fans get it right more often than the ‘experts’.

Especially when it comes to the Panthers.

Not really. Fans opinions are all over the place. And fans aren't going to highlight how wrong they were and  scream "bloody murder" when they get it wrong. Fans get it wrong a lot, and they also aren't privy to all of the dynamics between drafting players and budgetary constraints. They don't necessarily see the long term picture or the bigger picture. 

I'd also point out that just because something appears right today, that it may be totally wrong tomorrow. A certain amount of right and wrong when it comes to personnel doesn't reveal itself until time has passed.

Lastly, you can't get everyone you want, and no one is going to be right all the time, execs, so-called experts, or fans.

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

If you're going to bring up the Burns trade you have to include the players we were able to sign with the money we saved by trading Burns.  We got three positions of need with the money we saved by trading him. 

SMH. Do you guys get that I was just trying to state that it’s fair for analysts to grade us on the players we actually selected and that’s it. You guys were getting so bent out of shape that our grades weren’t reflecting our new 2025 pick so I said I think it’s fair because then you’d have to consider everything like Burns. This circle jerk is not worth the energy.

5 minutes ago, TD alt said:

Not really. Fans opinions are all over the place. And fans aren't going to highlight how wrong they were and  scream "bloody murder" when they get it wrong. Fans get it wrong a lot, and they also aren't privy to all of the dynamics between drafting players and budgetary constraints. They don't necessarily see the long term picture or the bigger picture. 

I'd also point out that just because something appears right today, that it may be totally wrong tomorrow. A certain amount of right and wrong when it comes to personnel doesn't reveal itself until time has passed.

Lastly, you can't get everyone you want, and no one is going to be right all the time, execs, so-called experts, or fans.

He’s right in our recent past. It’s not difficult to find the huddle draft opinions, especially in the Fitterer era. The Panthers drafting was so bad that even with huddle mistakes, the consensus in hear was way better than Fitterer.

1 hour ago, WhoKnows said:

Overall, we really didn’t get decent grades. In everything I looked at C or C- were the lowest grades given out. Seemed like Atlanta was universally the bottom grade and we were usually tied with several teams in the tier above that. I’d say we were universally bottom 10.

We got guys at the top of our board. We got the 2nd best running back, the fourth or fifth best receiver, and the 2nd best tight end. 

dan Morgan went BPA which is what you need to do when you’re working with what Morgan had and where the team is right now. 

6 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

We got guys at the top of our board. We got the 2nd best running back, the fourth or fifth best receiver, and the 2nd best tight end. 

dan Morgan went BPA which is what you need to do when you’re working with what Morgan had and where the team is right now. 

Who was your RB1 this draft?

4 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Honestly I got PTSD form herniay drafting LBs and RBs. 

The draft nerd in me loathed seeing that happen again in rounds 2&3. That's WITH me agreeing the brooks was the best, I didn't know of the LB.

In those early rounds focus should always be QB, edge, DL, OT, WR, and CB.... * unless Larry Allen ed reed clones are there....

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Who was your RB1 this draft?

I know Daniel Jeremiah had MarShawn Lloyd as his best RB. I super disagrees as did other teams. bryce young got a few inches on him!!

I had brooks as the clear best, just didn't want to touch him until 65, honestly I wanted to avoid drafting RBs in general, made a exception for brooks. You can get a stud RB in the FA market each year for discounted cost the last 5 or so years..

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 1

4 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

I’m hopeful but I was just stating the facts on where our grades were. We were not consistently getting lauded for our draft. Almost every grading I read put us in the bottom 10. I’m also not convinced we went BPA, especially in round 3 and day 3, with the exception of Sanders.

21 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

SMH. Do you guys get that I was just trying to state that it’s fair for analysts to grade us on the players we actually selected and that’s it. You guys were getting so bent out of shape that our grades weren’t reflecting our new 2025 pick so I said I think it’s fair because then you’d have to consider everything like Burns. This circle jerk is not worth the energy.

Honestly, dude. "Bent out of shape?" "Circle jerk?" 

If you don't want to listen to different perspectives regarding the Carolina Panthers and football, then why even come to the Carolina Huddle? Sometimes people are going to---you know---have differences of opinion. Believe it or not, some of us can do it in a thoughtful, if not respectful, manner. 

Mind Blown GIF