• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Front office/scouting staff changes

The analysts are really only as good as the people who want and make decisions based of the analytics. 

It's not like they are making any decisions 

17 hours ago, Mage said:

That tweet is hella misleading.  He literally says like 20 seconds later, "obviously, I think moving forward, you want Bryce Young."

I thought it was in reference to fantasy football as well.

It's too easy to clip bait these days. 

fantastic discussion up there with Eager. The guy is no doubt a stat nerd of the highest order, but he also understands the "it's just football" side of it. stats and analytics can help in making decisions, but he knows that there are moments of momentum that the coach just has to go with his gut and try to create or maintain momentum. 

i like that the guy isn't a BY bandwagoner. he wasn't hired because of that.

i think that having him help prepare for games will help, but i think also having him as a resource for a new HC can really help in managing the game. Canales will have his football guys on the field and in his ear, but he will also have this other guy (assuming he's in the booth during games) feeding him some info that can help making crucial decisions throughout the game. 

not completely sure what his role will be, but i think the guy could be a huge asset for us, especially having a rookie HC. 

• Pie 2

Posted (edited)

I think the long term is when this stuff pays off. You have to set it all up and get all the big dogs on the same page. 

So if you have the right guy set it up, assigning all the values, you are ahead of the game and he seems to be the top guy. Figures Tepper would be attracted to having the Top analytics guy. Okay with me I guess.

If they get to the point where I am mad they didn’t kick or go for it, it means they are doing okay. Cause I haven’t thought that mattered much for several years. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 3

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

Finally making changes to the scouting department? Why only the assistant though?

And the Commanders? Ehhh.

Accurate X comment: “So our Director of College Scouting comes from the Jaguars(one of the worst drafting teams) and now our Asst. Director of College Scouting comes from the the Commanders(one of the worst drafting teams. We are an unserious franchise.”

• Pie 1
  • Flames 3

2 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Accurate X comment: “So our Director of College Scouting comes from the Jaguars(one of the worst drafting teams) and now our Asst. Director of College Scouting comes from the the Commanders(one of the worst drafting teams. We are an unserious franchise.”

It's hard out here for a Panthers fan that's for sure.

• Beer 2

13 minutes ago, Tbe said:

I don’t know these people, but wouldn’t they be down the pecking order of deciding the pick? Hoping maybe it doesn’t mean a whole lot. 

• Beer 1

44 minutes ago, strato said:

I don’t know these people, but wouldn’t they be down the pecking order of deciding the pick? Hoping maybe it doesn’t mean a whole lot. 

He wasn’t making the final calls but he was contributing heavily to their draft boards. 

I don’t know. When you see guys bounce around from one bad team to another, it just makes you wonder.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Tbe said:

He wasn’t making the final calls but he was contributing heavily to their draft boards. 

I don’t know. When you see guys bounce around from one bad team to another, it just makes you wonder.

Yeah I hear you. I am hoping we have some things going better with the football side. What they talked about re meshing the scouts and coaches to get lined up with each other, I felt like maybe they know a thing or two. 

Edited by strato

On 5/13/2024 at 9:42 AM, TheSpecialJuan said:

Super interesting!  The talk of the different variables and even taking into account being an underdog is cool. Also I like the attitude/approach of if we are going to play 4 downs we need to actually play it as 4 downs and not have 4th down be a desperation play. You can use 3rd down to setup for it, but it has to be intentional. 

For me one big thing I pulled from this is teams are better are getting 1st downs now then scoring TDs and all games go "under" even Mahomes and Lamar. Possessions are even more valuable then before and you are mostly going to have to drive down the field to score and not try and rely on big hitters. So really seems to be a shift to this short/mid passing game because that is what defenses mostly give you. 

I also like his mentality on football also being football and things like momentum and edge are real. Hopefully that can help strike a nice balance between analytics and coaching moving forward. 

• Pie 1