• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young #34 on Chris Simms' top 40 list

22 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I think Bryce has a little swagger to him when he gets comfortable. Watch some of those Bama games. I saw him doing the “karate kid crane” celebration with Metchie, getting fired up with his WRs etc… 

There were stories of his locker room speech which none of us saw so who knows. I saw a little (pun intended) glimpse when he did the Cam first down taunt after his run. There are some clips of him and CJ going back and forth on who is the better basketball player. I think on the field he will show some of it if he can get comfortable. The scripted, reserved Bryce is what you see in interviews and press conferences because he has been coached that way most of his life. 

Yeah can't discount that he can't bring a cocky, beat the world mentality when his back's against the wall.  But you're also right, this kid is super coached.  That's what growing up in Pasadena under a heavily directed football life at one of the OC's better HS football programs will get you.  Also - I still can't imagine what his HS commute was like.  Yeesh.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

46 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Him and Canales both said they don't use this kind of stuff. Not into negative motivation or something. Seems a little counter intuitive when the gm is trying to otherwise build a team of dawgs

"I want dawgs"

"We're just here to be positive and take our best foot forward, oh gosh, oh golly, look how beautiful it is outside today"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgX8mqBSk_O1RbjsQq3v5

Let's hope it's all what it seems--in other words: coach and player speak to the media lol

• Beer 1

13 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

"I want dawgs"

"We're just here to be positive and take our best foot forward, oh gosh, oh golly, look how beautiful it is outside today"

Let's hope it's all what it seems--in other words: coach and player speak to the media lol

Cam came in here and it took him years to kill the check cashier and it’s just a game  mindset that existed.  It seeps in quick without the right leadership.  Cam essentially acknowledged it when he briefly returned.  

Carolina IMO has clearly lacked the right in house mentality since Cam, Luke, TD and Greg all left.   I think Morgan is right to identity that.  I think we are still missing it.  New HC ain’t bringing it.  QB ain’t bringing it.  Morgan got work to do there.  Can’t fix that in an offseason though. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

44 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

What did Bryce do at all last season to make some of you think he should be ranked better on the list???

All the reasons he struggled, were addressed. 

New IOL, new skills, new coaches. All those things holding him back were fixed. Now we will be able to see his greatness. 

1 minute ago, strato said:

All the reasons he struggled, were addressed. 

New IOL, new skills, new coaches. All those things holding him back were fixed. Now we will be able to see his greatness. 

Except for O scheme that doesn’t fit him and  a newb OC that has never been an OC and another first time QB coach.  That’s all repeated.   And going in he has a slot WR that can’t get open quick, meh TE play in 2024 most likely and a no proven NFL rec RB. 

he has a weapons in place for a downfield pass attack.  Which isn’t his game. 

I still think he is set up to fail largely.  Again

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, CRA said:

Bryce Young is Eli Manning-ish IMO.  I mean, it's not that you can't be successful with a QB wired like that.  But Bryce Young doesn't check so many of the textbook boxes you look for. 

Eli didn't check that box either.  Problem is Bryce just doesn't check so many of them.  They add up at this level.

You're comparing Bryce Young to 2x Super Bowl Champion Eli Manning?

2 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

"I want dawgs"

Are you truly a "dawg" if you need negative bulletin board material to bring out the best in your game?  I would think a dawg is someone who consistently puts in the work regardless of external factors.  Otherwise that would suggest that they're not playing up to their potential without that extra motivation.

On a bit of a side note: Cam obviously brought a huge amount of energy and hype on and off the field and we loved him for that, but one of his most badass moments IMO was that Giants shootout game where they had just scored and the camera panned to him off the field where he just calmly nodded his head, put on his helmet, and knew it was time to go out there and respond to win the game.  It seems like that kind of cool, calm, collected demeanor is looked down upon here in favor of the more fiery archetype.  I haven't seen evidence to suggest that there's a correlation between a player's temperament and their performance.  I think we tend to see players struggle on the field and then assign reasons for their failures largely based on assumptions combined with our own preconceived opinions on what the recipe for success entails.

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

You're comparing Bryce Young to 2x Super Bowl Champion Eli Manning?

I compared their demeanors as QBs.  Eli didn’t check the traditional box you look for there at the NFL.   Where the QB is basically slotted in as the default leader of the team.   Eli wasn’t really that guy.  100% wasn’t early on in his career.  

Eli got lucky in the postseason.  That’s sports. But he was a .500 NFL QB with the Manning legacy aiding him.   Hell, Cam and Jake had better win %s than Eli.  

23 minutes ago, CRA said:

I compared their demeanors as QBs.  Eli didn’t check the traditional box you look for there at the NFL.   Where the QB is basically slotted in as the default leader of the team.   Eli wasn’t really that guy.  100% wasn’t early on in his career.  

Eli got lucky in the postseason.  That’s sports. But he was a .500 NFL QB with the Manning legacy aiding him.   Hell, Cam and Jake had better win %s than Eli.  

You don't luck into two Super Bowls bud. 

Just now, CPcavedweller said:

You don't luck into two Super Bowls bud. 

You could replay that head catch 100 times and Eli wouldn’t even get the throw off for the lucky catch to of even had a chance.  Big time athletes talk a lot about luck factoring.  The Giants caught some luck when it mattered.  

But again, I was comparing their demeanors as players.   Not the highlights of a team whose QB didn’t even have a winning record as a starter.   Eli has the trophy case of a great QB.  He wasn’t one. 

• Pie 1

Posted (edited)

Idk what's happening on the last page of this thread but if anyone was around through the entirety of the Cam years and sums him up as cool calm and collected like he was some boring milquetoast they must have been watching something else.

I mean I guess I imagined all the taunting and over the top celebrating and the ensuing constant handwringing over that from certain people in our fanbase for about a decade.

If Bryce is low key and that works and translates to wins and better days in the Carolinas for Panthers fans I'll be on board. But let's not rewrite history regarding one of the most heavily scrutinized QB's of the last 20 years.

Edited by frankw

I can't find video of it because it was 13 years ago (that is insane) but this is rookie season Cam and I know Panthers fans remember this one.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2011/10/9/2479170/saints-vs-panthers-cam-newton-steve-smith-fight-video

Can you even imagine Bryce involved in any kind of on field scuffle let alone running into one?

Let's just keep Cam out of all this. The man was rare.