• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

To those who want AJ Green #1 overall

Eazy-E

I think we could take Fairley #1 without it being much of a reach and DT is definitely a need...for those who think we have to reach to draft need.

I like Green though - he's very very good from what I've seen (I'm pretty much an anti-GA fan so I admittedly don't watch much but once we started closing in on the #1 pick I started paying attention). I don't know if I would personally take him #1 because WR is not an area of need for us ATM, at least not nearly so much as DT.

That said, however, I wouldn't be suicidal if he ended up playing for us either. Lafell and Gettis showed flashes last year but we don't really have a stud receiver either.

I don't understand why it's nuts just because it's only been done once in the past 25 years. We've only had one black president in history, does that make it nuts? In most drafts, especially lately, there's been a clear cut #1. A QB, a LT, or at least multiple prospects that would be worth #1 overall. Not this year.

There's some people who want to take Fairley #1. There hasn't been a DT taken #1 since Keyshawn's draft. A couple years before him, there was Dan Wilkinson, DT, Ohio State. WHO?! Before him there was only Russell Maryland and Steve Emtman. Emtman was a bust, Maryland was good, but that was a weak draft. The first QB taken was Todd Marinovich in the late 1st. No HoF'ers in the whole draft and only 8 people taken in the first that made a Pro Bowl ever, and I've only ever heard of 3 or 4 of them.

With the new CBA, I think the days of "OMG YOU DON'T DRAFT A _____ #1 OVERALL!!" are mostly done. Money was a huge part of that mindset. I think we'll begin to see more BPAs taken.

We don't need a DE, and I don't think we'll take a QB #1, I don't really see any of them being worth it. It really comes down to Green or Fairley, if we can't trade down. If I'm betting with the success of the franchise, I'm betting on Green.

I keep changing my mind on this. I would agree with the op if this year wasnt such a crappy year for draft prospects. I would like trade down for someone in the top 10. I really think someone like Clevand/Titans would trade up to get AJ Green and give us their second.

Green is the only player worth taking the #1 for and wont make it out of the top 5. If we're staying with the #1 pick, it will be Green. And Smith most likely will be traded for picks afterwards.

As mich as I love smith. If I was GM thats what I would do. Maybe try to get a 2nd and third rounder, or maybe a stretch get a later first round pick.

Green is the only player worth taking the #1 for and wont make it out of the top 5. If we're staying with the #1 pick, it will be Green. And Smith most likely will be traded for picks afterwards.

You make sense most of the time, and this is no exception. Looking forward, at 2011 and beyond, we need and will need a playmaking WR. Gettis and Lafell are good, but neither can handle the top CB and doubles. All I had to hear was similar to Calvin J and Larry F. Worth #1 to me.

And I also agree with the fact made earlier that the scale will make the position the player plays irrelevent. Pass on Green and you will hate watching Sports Center for the next decade.

Someone had to say it. Fairley needs to be our Pick!

I agree, but the only reason I wouldn't take him: The draft is deep at DT this year. We can find good value in the third and I think we bring in a vet as well.

We would not be able to afford a free agent #1 WR, and there are only 1 or 2 in the draft. Green's hands are better than Jones and he is smoother--that is important to a QB. Take Green, and get a DT in the third round. Steve Smith cannot hold the franchise hostage if we have a 6-4, 215 lb WR who is faster (now he is) and has better hands.

If we take Fairley, we have a 5'9" 32 year old #1 WR who yells at rookie QBs, drops 1 out of 8 passes, and hints at wanting to be traded. Our WR corps would be set for a decade. A new QB, and imagine the chemistry.

[HUDDLEVOICE] If we don't draft...

[DIDNOTDECLARE] Andrew Luck [/DIDNOTDECLARE]

[WRONGTHREAD] Cam Newton [/WRONGTHREAD]

[WRONGTHREAD] Nick Fairley [/WRONGTHREAD]

[NEWHOPE] AJ Green [/NEWHOPE]

...we will be doomed for years!!!!1!1!!1 [/HUDDLEVOICE]

You are nuts. I would be fine with the pick if we traded down but not the 1st overall pick. I did some research and there has been 1 WR taken #1 overall in the past 25 years and that was Keyshawn Johnson.

So unless Green comes out in the combine and blows everyone out of the water, You would have to be crazy to take him #1 overall.

And how did that work our for the Jets? I sure bet they were kicking themselves for not taking Cedric Jones instead!! And for those of you asking, who is Cedric Jones, EXACTLY!!! He was the next big thing at DL that year and only had 1 decent year.

Just because something doesn't happen regularly doesn't mean it is bad/wrong to do.

If we are stuck with the first pick and can't trade down I would love the Green pick. Fairley is the next option IMO.

That being said, anything can happen between now and the combine/interviews/prodays to change everything.

Also, just a note: Smith is not getting any younger.

Archived