• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What if Cam is a Bust?

Catalyst

Last 10 Quarterbacks selected with the number one pick.

1998 Indianapolis Peyton Manning, QB, Tennessee

1999 Cleveland Tim Couch, QB, Kentucky

2001 Atlanta Michael Vick, QB, Virginia Tech

2002 Houston David Carr, QB, Fresno State

2003 Cincinnati Carson Palmer, QB, USC

2004 San Diego Eli Manning, QB, Mississippi

2005 San Francisco Alex Smith, QB Utah

2007 Oakland JaMarcus Russell, QB LSU

2009 Detroit Matthew Stafford, QB Georgia

2010 St. Louis Sam Bradford, QB Oklahoma

Four bust. One hall of famer (Manning), and one very good QB (vick). Palmer and Manning are above average. Bradford looks promising. Jury is still out on Stafford due to injuries.

All of these guys were superstars in college, which is why its very difficult to judge NFL success based on college play.

Vick was most definitely a bust for the Falcons, even if he isn't on his new team. He was good when he was in ATL but you can't really ignore what he did. He's a weird situation... heh.

Stafford at this point isn't looking good but that could change. Bradford is the opposite of Stafford.

If you remove those two, you're left with two Mannings and a Palmer. The other 5 were ultimately busts/Vick.

QB is a risky bargain, but as the Mannings have shown it can pay off big.

Yeah but if we do draft Cam, he most likely won't play, so we won't know if he is a bust or not... Which means we pass on Luck in either year. So yeah, he could cripple the team for a couple of years.

edit: I don't think he will be a bust for whatever team drafts him.

I think he would have to play this coming season. He may not start from day 1, and unless we are in playoff hunt, the old "sit the qb for a couple seasons" is no longer how things are done and he will play the second half of the season. First round rookie qb's play their rookie season, most start from day 1, ex. Freeman didnt start til after week 10 and I could see that being similar for Cam. If we pick him, I hope he wins the position at the beginning.

IF he is a bust, well we will be handcuffed for the next 3 years and not be able to pick a QB because we cant have that much money tied up in one position.

Bust seems like a word that is probably limited to first round players, maybe early second, because that is where the serious MONEY is spent.

Is Clausen a bust in the second round? He might end up being a bust, but his salary was modest, so it'd be a minor one. Look at it like this: if Oakland had signed JaMarcus Russel in the early 2nd round, he'd not be epitome of "bust" that he is today.

If we hypothetically take Cam Ward with the first overall pick, then he is likely to be rewarded with 15 to 40 million guaranteed. The margin between those numbers depends on our power of negotiation with him and his agent. Can we convince "Team Newton" that it is widely considered a stretch to have taken him first overall, or does ego demand that he is worth the full 45M guaranteed? Could the Panthers convey to Newton that under the lockout, they are capable of winning any Newton contract holdout situation, and move forward with second year Clausen?

The final grand total of guaranteed money is what I think puts a player squarely in the boom or bust category. It would not surprise me to see Carolina be one of the last teams to finalize a contract with their first overall pick.

So Sanchez was picked number 5 in the draft. So it is okay if you pick five to have his numbers but if you pick four spots earlier then it isn't good enough???

Thanks for explaining that?:confused5:

#1 is #1, you better not miss, so yes there is a difference. Jets took a huge risk and traded up to get him at #5, and we can all agree it was a good risk.

I think he would have to play this coming season. He may not start from day 1, and unless we are in playoff hunt, the old "sit the qb for a couple seasons" is no longer how things are done and he will play the second half of the season. First round rookie qb's play their rookie season, most start from day 1, ex. Freeman didnt start til after week 10 and I could see that being similar for Cam. If we pick him, I hope he wins the position at the beginning.

IF he is a bust, well we will be handcuffed for the next 3 years and not be able to pick a QB because we cant have that much money tied up in one position.

If the new CBA lowers the rookie scale we could. It is a win win. Plus if Cam does fine next year but we end up number one pick in 2012 draft we will own two years of someones elses draft picks.

If the new CBA lowers the rookie scale we could. It is a win win. Plus if Cam does fine next year but we end up number one pick in 2012 draft we will own two years of someones elses draft picks.

we would still be paying the highest paid rookie with or without a scale. it might not be $70 mil but still probably $50mil, then add that IF we would have to draft ANOTHER QB, I'd say we would be in some deep poo.

#1 is #1, you better not miss, so yes there is a difference. Jets took a huge risk and traded up to get him at #5, and we can all agree it was a good risk.

The difference between number 5 and number 1 is negligible if you only get 1 first round pick. Yeah the guys who follow draft picks and positions have a value board but like the Bucs said 2 years ago. They would have taken Freeman at 1 just like they did at 17. There is really no difference, if all you get, is one pick. In this draft you might miss out on Newton and Gabbert if you try and trade down even to 5th.

The whole notion you can miss or you are screwed is really overblown. Teams like Detroit or Buffalo haven't missed with one high first rounder but several. Sure you want to hit a homerun when you get to pick everyone you want but it isn't the end of the world.

we would still be paying the highest paid rookie with or without a scale. it might not be $70 mil but still probably $50mil, then add that IF we would have to draft ANOTHER QB, I'd say we would be in some deep poo.

It is probably closer to a 3 year deal for 25 million with 15 million guarateed. Depends on whether the players or the owners win on that one.

Will it hurt? of course. Will it set us back for years? I doubt it. Frankly it will take 3 years to determine if he is a bust or not.

Archived