• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

does Terrelle Pryor as a back-up for Cam Newton make sense?

rayzor

We really dont need any more projects. We Ned a vet who can come in and play. At this point I would take Matt Moore or a free agent vet over another project who is projected as a wide receiver and not a quarterback. if we drafted him, there is a good chance he wouldn't even make the team. It makes no sepnse to draft him even if he didn't have of the field issues.

no no no no no no

agree here, no, no, no. I think Terrelle Pryor should and will be drafted by QB NEEDY teams. the panthers have 3 young QBs, they don't need a 4th and it makes Clausen's trade value worse, NOW if you are NOT going to put him at QB and plan to switch him then go ahead. the teams Pryor should be on are Seattle (Carroll lost to Young, he may want a Young clone), Buffalo Bills (he FITS Gailey's offense and they WERE intersted in Cam Newton and The Golden Calf of Bristol) and Washington Redskins (they NEED a young QB)

[EDIT: or at least someone with a similar skill set to cam newton. pryor is just an example.]

I'm thinking it might. now the idea of picking up yet another QB...essentially the 4th drafted in 2 years...does make me scratch my head, but of the guys that are on the roster currently, pryor would be more likely to be able to jump in without changing too much schematically. i thought about this last week sometime and forgot about it until i read a derp article about it today.

excerpt:

he also made a couple good points about it only costing us a 5th round pick to get first round talent...similar to a move the patriots were praised for in drafting ryan mallet. end game could be similar to what the pats are hoping with mallet, to develop him for a couple years with the intention of trading them away to a QB needy team in a a couple years.

the major draw, though, would be if something happened to newton and he got injured that we could plug in a QB who could jump in without having to change the scheme like we would with clausen or some old vet QB.

of course the question would be what do we do with clausen, but we'll probably be moving him anyway.

just a thought....

..LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cried..

actually hell we already have one quarterback-turned-receiver, let's get another. maybe then we can turn Cam into a semi-receiver in the craziest 'wildcat' ever created... line him up at TE, teach kalil to snap a hook pass to the TE where he'd unload it to Pryor who would throw a bomb to a wide open gettis! toucchdowwwn.

meanwhile jimmy can be on the field behind center so that he doesn't feel left out.

actually hell we already have one quarterback-turned-receiver, let's get another. maybe then we can turn Cam into a semi-receiver in the craziest 'wildcat' ever created... line him up at TE, teach kalil to snap a hook pass to the TE where he'd unload it to Pryor who would throw a bomb to a wide open gettis! toucchdowwwn.

meanwhile jimmy can be on the field behind center so that he doesn't feel left out.

No, Jimmy is gonna kick the PAT after Cam throws a touchdown. :biggrin5:

[EDIT: or at least someone with a similar skill set to cam newton. pryor is just an example.]

I'm thinking it might. now the idea of picking up yet another QB...essentially the 4th drafted in 2 years...does make me scratch my head, but of the guys that are on the roster currently, pryor would be more likely to be able to jump in without changing too much schematically. i thought about this last week sometime and forgot about it until i read a derp article about it today.

excerpt:

he also made a couple good points about it only costing us a 5th round pick to get first round talent...similar to a move the patriots were praised for in drafting ryan mallet. end game could be similar to what the pats are hoping with mallet, to develop him for a couple years with the intention of trading them away to a QB needy team in a a couple years.

the major draw, though, would be if something happened to newton and he got injured that we could plug in a QB who could jump in without having to change the scheme like we would with clausen or some old vet QB.

of course the question would be what do we do with clausen, but we'll probably be moving him anyway.

just a thought....

In the 5th or 6th round I don't see how we pass at the talent. Whether QB or any other position he might be worth the gamble. I would not sacrifice a 1st-4th pick but 5th round and beyond I would.

Under no circumstances would I touch the guy if what Evan Silva said on twitter is true:

NFL GM would rate Terrelle Pryor's personality "dead last...not-even-out-of-starting-gate last" behind Mallett, Newton.

NFC coach on Pryor: "Kid sounds like he didn’t give a damn about anybody. Was there for himself. Didn’t even try to hide it. He flaunted it"

Waits for someone to defend Pryor against those tweets as strongly as they did Cam

I don't know enough about him to defend him one way or the other on that stuff. From a football point of view I don't like him as a QB in the NFL. But as an athlete he may be a good value for a low draft pick.

:lol: ok...i repent of the pryor suggestion, esp. after reading this...

“We spent a lot of time this year going through Cam Newton(notes) and Ryan Mallett’s(notes) personality,” an NFC general manager said. “I haven’t done all my homework on Pryor yet, but my initial impression is that if you line all three of them up and just talked about trust and reliability, Pryor is dead last. Like not-even-out-of-the-starting-gate last.

“And it’s probably only going to get worse.”

As one NFC head coach, concealing his identity because he and other NFL officials are prohibited from speaking about Pryor publicly since he hasn’t declared for the NFL yet, said about the passer: “The more you read about this guy with the cars and the tattoos and money and all that other stuff … Look, we all know how the college game works and what those [coaches] have to deal with, but this kid sounds like he didn’t give a damn about anybody. He was just there for himself. He didn’t even try to hide it. He flaunted it. If you’re like that, it’s hard to be a quarterback.”

Another NFC executive said he thought Pryor could be a second-round pick just because of that desperation. That executive noted, “I won’t be the one picking him in that case.”

The executive then went on to say: “Side by side, Pryor and Newton probably look identical. Same height. Newton is a little stronger; Pryor might be a little faster. But when you put them on the field, the results are different. Pryor was really good playing in the Big Ten. Newton was great playing in the SEC.”

For instance, despite the fact that the 6-foot-6 Pryor reportedly ran a 4.33 40-yard dash at an Ohio State workout last spring, there was a huge gap between him and Newton in rushing productivity. Pryor ran for 754 yards last season, his third at Ohio State. Newton rushed for 1,473 in his one year as a full-time starter for Auburn after barely playing during his two years at Florida and spending a year in junior college.

Likewise, while Pryor and Newton’s passing stats are pretty similar – Pryor completed 65 percent of his passes for 2,772 yards, 27 TD passes and 11 interceptions, and Newton completed 66.1 percent of his throws for 2,854 yards, 30 TD passes and seven interceptions – the discrepancy in picks raises red flags. Newton did that as a first-year starter at a program new to him. Pryor put up his numbers as a third-year player at a place where he was catered to for years.

“I would have expected a lot more from Pryor by this time given all the hype out there about him from years ago,” the NFC head coach said. “I’m not saying he’s a bad player. He’s a good player and maybe he’ll become great. He has the tools to be great, all the raw ability we look for. I’m just saying that when I actually watched him play in games, I always came away thinking, ‘That’s it?’ I expected to see something really dominant and he was just good.”

i still think the concept is good. getting someone with a similar skill set and style as newton so that the offense won't have to change dramatically if newton gets hurt. troy smith, tarvaris jackson, or even armanti edwards would be better choices than pryor.

:lol: ok...i repent of the pryor suggestion, esp. after reading this...

i still think the concept is good. getting someone with a similar skill set and style as newton so that the offense won't have to change dramatically if newton gets hurt. troy smith, tarvaris jackson, or even armanti edwards would be better choices than pryor.

i dont think it's a good concept from the fact that they dont need a young backup. they need a veteren backup, they have two young QBs backing up already in Moore and Clausen and likely one of them stays. ADD to that, Pryor NEEDS to be on a team where he HAS a chance to be the guy in the future and be developed. Miami, Washington, Seattle, Buffalo are the 4 teams who in my book SHOULD get Pryor. they all need a young QB and each can sit him for a year.

i dont think it's a good concept from the fact that they dont need a young backup. they need a veteren backup, they have two young QBs backing up already in Moore and Clausen and likely one of them stays. ADD to that, Pryor NEEDS to be on a team where he HAS a chance to be the guy in the future and be developed. Miami, Washington, Seattle, Buffalo are the 4 teams who in my book SHOULD get Pryor. they all need a young QB and each can sit him for a year.
troy smith and tarvaris jackson aren't young players anymore. jackson is 28 years old now.

i do think it would be nice to have an older vet who has been in the game a long time to help in the film room and in meetings and to be a set of experienced eyes on the sidelines, but he wouldn't need to be the #2 QB.

it's not that big of a deal, though.

we got our franchise QB now. who else they have on the depth chart doesn't really matter all that much. they'll get the right guys behind him and around him.

Archived