• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam is running too much

JawnyBlaze

Cam needs to learn how to slide. Falling on his shoulder 10 times per game is absolutely stupid.

Doing something stupid requires making a choice. Haven't seen him choose to go down on his shoulder unless he's stretching for a 1st down. If he's doing that, he certainly can't slide. I also feel safe in saying he does indeed know how to slide.

When footing and the ball is wet, the more you try to do with the ball, the more risky. Having the QB take the ball and run with it is the safest play out there. Especially when he is bigger than most folks out there and mobile. He doesn't look at risk. He hurt his ankle in the pocket not on a scramble. No we don't want to do it all the time but honestly when you have a weapon like him you are crazy not to use it.

The draw plays were great.. in fact I was thinking Chud should had them to the playbook to help spark a running game. With teams playing a ton of coverage now with their LBs, instead of blitzing, it will open our passing game back up.

Green Bay gets chunks of yards from draw plays because teams respect their pass so much. This is how we need to concentrate on getting our run game going.

The draw plays were great.. in fact I was thinking Chud should had them to the playbook to help spark a running game. With teams playing a ton of coverage now with their LBs, instead of blitzing, it will open our passing game back up.

Green Bay gets chunks of yards from draw plays because teams respect their pass so much. This is how we need to concentrate on getting our run game going.

I agree. How many designed draws did he run like 3? Cam handles the runs well, infact i worry more when i see him get blasted in the pocket like he nearly did but fliped it to olsen.

I think the designed runs are fine they just need to be dialed back a little so they are not so predictable...other than that cam is so good at running the ball i say why not...

Why not? Because if one of our running backs gets injured, we have another one...and a fullback. Let them run it. Another reason being that the QB keepers were good for about 6 yards of offense yesterday.

He needs to run more when the play breaks down

Actually no. He doesn't.

Scrambling out of the pocket is fine. Using your feet and scanning downfield to extend the play is fine.

But running when the pocket collapses is what Vick does. And look what happened yesterday (and his response that the refs aren't protecting him :lol:). He's lucky not to have broken another more important bone. As it is, it looks like he's going to miss 3-4 weekes.

I think Newton's mix of run and pass has been great. Note that he didn't get sacked once yesterday.

Newton has too many designed QB keepers imho, but that's just how I feel about it. I don't mind run/pass options but it seems like 3-5 times a game he just has a designed run, usually up the middle. =|

I like the occasional draw play but I feel like we're leaning on it a bit too much, especially between the tackles.

I don't think he is running too much. Look at his pass attempts vs. rush attempts.....that answers the question.

I think Cam is still learning when and how to run effectively in the NFL....it is a learning process.

I agree with this but I much rather see more Waggles than QB runs and Draws. He has a great arm and should be used if possible on every play. Let Stewart take on those LBs not Cam.

I agree with this but I much rather see more Waggles than QB runs and Draws. He has a great arm and should be used if possible on every play. Let Stewart take on those LBs not Cam.

overall, I think Cam picked his spots better in the preseason....I have seen him w/ the holes and space and opted not to take them in the regular season.

Not a fan on the designed runs unless it is a goal line scenario.

I agree with that the designed runs, read options might need to be toned down but I don't agree with the overall statement that he is running too much.

There are a lot of times when he stays too long in the pocket and needs to take off sometimes. I feel like he is trying to prove people wrong about him being more than a running QB. But he shouldn't feel that way after his first weeks as a QB. If he were to take off just a second or two earlier his runs on breakdowns could be better.

overall, I think Cam picked his spots better in the preseason....I have seen him w/ the holes and space and opted not to take them in the regular season.

Not a fan on the designed runs unless it is a goal line scenario.

Im not either, and I think we use them too much and there predictable. It might just be we cant run bootlegs because of the SS in the box or something else but we really have not ran it as much as we should have. I think people get the wrong idea of Newton though. He is a QB that can Run not a Running QB. There were a lot of times in the GB game I was like oh poo Rogers is going to get 10 with his legs but he opted no too as well.

Archived