• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera deflects responsibility for penalties

Camdemonium

I've seen some of the worst calls against the panthers this year in recent memory. the shockey OPI against the Bears was a joke and everyone knows it.

Its not just the panthers. The whole League is plagued with Flags this year and it really pisses me off. I want to watch Football not 4+ hours of Refs fuging up games.

You can understand Rivera's situation. Invisible flags have at least cost us 2 games this season. Its not like our team is getting many faults starts or PF penalty's, its holding calls that could be called every single snap. I feel like the refs are not even warning players anymore they are just throwing the flag every single time.

You can understand Rivera's situation. Invisible flags have at least cost us 2 games this season. Its not like our team is getting many faults starts or PF penalty's, its holding calls that could be called every single snap. I feel like the refs are not even warning players anymore they are just throwing the flag every single time.

The difference isn't as dramatic as it might seem. We've had 19 holding calls (18 that were enforced, 1 was declined) and 14 false starts.

Total offensive pre-snap penalties? 21. Throw in offsides? 30. So roughly 42% of our total penalties have come pre-snap. These are typically considered mental errors.

While I agree that's it's easy to make excuses for penalties, it's not a good idea to accept untruths. Yes, the holding penalties are the responsibilty of the coach, but the refs have some "splain' to do" with that jeremy shockey bogus call and the entire NFL looks inept when they fail to address the inconsistency of roughing the passer. In the end, the Panthers have gotten too many phantom roughing the passer calls as well as too many phantom holding calls. Everyone needs to accept their part of the blame - not just the coach!

It's so easy to blame the refs. No coach gets all the calls they want. Just sounds like excuses for a very undisciplined team at this point.

No. They aren't going to call that Steve Smith holding call when Cam ran down to the 2 yard line........against Belichick's Patriots.

Rivera is being blunt. Carolina has had several huge calls go against them for mystery fouls......and they potentially dictated the outcome. Rivera being quiet about it.....wouldn't be good. Sometimes you have to start making noise.

Rivera needs to make noise that refs have made some VERY bad calls against Carolina....that doesn't mean he doesn't realize certain penalities he can control.

Archived