• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Connor to test free agent market

AntiBuc

one of the best backups/special teams players you could ask for. starting material? i don't think so. he's been exposed this year and teams know it. he has straight line speed and a good nose for the ball but his lack of lateral quickness has proven to be his achilles heel. he doesn't stand a chance against stretch plays or anything out in the flats that he's supposed to cover because he simply can't get out there fast enough.

if he gets an offer it'll be from a team with very little depth at LB (or possibly as a pass rusher in a 3-4, though i'm not sure he really fits that prototype.)

I am convinced Connor is the most overrated linebacker on this team.

I agree. I thought the guy was going to be another Dan Morgan but the guy isn't that good. He lacks athleticism which affects him running sideline to sideline. I believe his best attribute is tackling and is above average at stopping the run. He is horrible at coverage and I believe he is one of the reason why we suck so bad on short passes.

I wish him the best though and if he does decide to stay with us I don't mind him being Beasons back up. He is right though he has been behind Beason since day one but its not like he has done anything to take his spot. Maybe he will be a good 3-4 mlb?

I'll agreeably disagree about sliding Beason over. He's an elite MLB, but not as good a WLB. If something happens during the season and you have no other choice, so be it. But as we've got the offseason to address it, I'd recommend re-tooling through the draft or FA to try and avoid moving Beason again.

Connor really needs to be retained because if/when Thomas Davis gets hurt again Connor can pick up where he left off, of course we'll have to slide Beason over.

Carolina needs to move past the Davis/Beason/Anderson...with Connor, Senn etc. backing them up.

Davis = done. Even if they bring him back it should under the assumption he won't play.

Beason might never be the same player again. Need to start trying to find some new talent. playmaker potential.

Connor really needs to be retained because if/when Thomas Davis gets hurt again Connor can pick up where he left off, of course we'll have to slide Beason over.

I'm not certain we should be talking about Davis at all - he has had three knee surgeries in 2 years right? I really like TD and I would be thrilled to see him back there playing at a high level again but as a realistic person I just don't see it as likely. I'd say it's more accurate to say we should try to retain Connor, based on what we have right now, because Davis is not likely to be an effective starter again. If he is great.

The other piece of this puzzle is that they may want to pursue someone who is closer to the TD mold to play that spot. Beason is a force at MLB and Connor is a different player than both he and TD. If the coaches want to retain the highly athletic WLB style that we had before and keep Beason where he can be the most effective that is a likely route. If that's the case then I imagine Connor will be allowed to test the waters in Free Agency. If he gets a bite for a big payday then I'm thrilled for him and he deserves it - if he doesn't he can be had back here for less money to do what he was already doing.

Connor has been a serviceable stop gap MLB given our injury situation the last few years, but when we are 100% healthy, he is just a special teamer on our squad. Backup LB's can be found in the draft, let him walk unless he wants to play for cheap. We are going to be good with or without him.

I am convinced Connor is the most overrated linebacker on this team.

Yep, and it isn't even close.

He is a great between the tackles run stopper, but he is molasses slow when it comes to getting to the edge and stopping a running back.

Also a huge liability in coverage (ala Senn trying to cover a drag route from a tight end).

He is a good backup. He could start on some teams, not most. I would like to keep him as a backup to Beason but money is better spent elsewhere. And I'd rather draft a OLB in place of Davis who I am not betting on next year, instead of moving Beason. Beason thrives at MLB an likes it there. Plus we have Anderson, so 2/3 studs is good if it means money going to the Dline or Secondary. Hurney is great at snagging LBs so that's where we should look.

Archived