• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lets Take A Look Back At The Huddles Opinion On Drafting Cam Before The Draft

malik

well while we're on the topic i might as well admit that i wanted dareus or peterson at the top of that draft with green as the wild card. if we just had to have a quarterback, i felt that gabbert's weaker numbers and fewer accomplishments were mitigated by the fact that he played in a pro offense which alone made him superior to newton for some insane reason. in truth, i thought all the first round quarterbacks in that draft sucked and that drafting defense and tanking it with clausen or a scrapheap free agent like marc bulger in order to get another shot at andrew luck would be the smart thing to do.

And why was that?

Shouldn't we be concern about ALL these QBs who haven't yet proven themselves on an NFL level? Why are we more concern about some and not all?

Do you really not know the answer? His past, his father's antics, his percieved arrogance--Even Ryan Kalil said he didn't want to play for Cam when we drafted him.

Gabbert didn't play in a pro offense though.

That's what I never understood, so many people were bashing Cam because of the offense he came from (something he has no choice over) but suggested Gabbert. Gabbert came from a spread.

see that's the thing, there were a few sports writers who pointed that out along with how weak gabbert's final year was. they were drowned out by and large by the newton circus though.

i don't really watch very much college football at all so i was just believing what i heard.

Sitting in Bank of America stadium before the draft party everyone knew we were picking Newton. I was a fan of Newton at Auburn and really liked the prospect of him becoming a Panther. By draft day I wanted nobody but Newton. On the other hand, I remember Steve Smith taking his shoes out of his locker and thinking he'd be gone, so the only alternative in my mind was for the Bengals to blow us away with a trade for the #1 and take AJ Green. Happy we took Cam.

you have to think about the ridiculous low point our franchise was at too. everything was so shitty it was kind of hard to fathom it not taking many years to field a competitive team again.

like i was at the grocery store in a panthers hoodie that winter and some random guy walked up to me and advised me to "get the fug out of here with that panthers poo"

I've learned that a garbage thread is garbage. I mean what's the endgame here? The people who thought there were better prospects then Cam aren't true fans or what? There's absolutely no point to this thread and it will cause more harm then good (see KT's post)....

I'm glad we picked Cam and have no problem admitting I was wrong. I thought the team would be better served improving our defense. I didn't think a rookie would be capable of really carrying the team to many victories in the next few seasons and it might just screw him up for us to lean on him like we likely would have to. I was kinda right, but holy hell was I wrong about the why he couldn't... damn defense.

Cam has to play with more consistency if we want to make the playoffs. He made a lot of spectacular throws and runs, but he also went ice cold for long stretches, and threw game deciding picks. He can be alarmingly off target with his throws, and he was lucky DBs dropped some potential INTs. If he can clean up his play, and our defense can actually play with passion and generate turnovers, we should be in great shape.

Archived