• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bittersweet day

LiQuiD

Made the decision yesterday to schedule my nearly 14 year old Lab/Border Collie to be euthanized today. She's lived a really good life but over the last year she has aged considerably and upon an x-ray to determine the cause of her loss of bladder control they discovered she's got very advanced spinal arthritis. Her pain level could be the reason why she has become so distant and isolated. She is so embarrassed about having accidents that we practically have had to force her to come inside when we leave. Her eyesight and hearing have diminished greatly in the past year as well as her willingness to obey boundaries and commands.

Basically she's become a bad dog and I resent her for that because she used to be very loving and obedient. Unfortunately, I resent myself for not seeing the signs that she was hurting much earlier because I can tell she has been suffering in silence for the last year. She's a very smart dog so maybe the disobedience was her way of saying "put me out of my misery."

Regardless, her appointment is in less than an hour and she'll be out of pain soon. I don't think mine will subside quite that fast, I've had her nearly half my life.

Needed to type that out. Thanks for listening.

Bye Zoe!

<-----His day is coming, and honestly I can't imagine. I have been preparing myself for it mentally for about a year, and he keeps on ticking right along.

Terribly sorry to hear about this, best of luck, you are doing the right thing.

I feel for ya. These animals that we take become an integral part of our family structure. It's always tough when it's time so good bye. When my boxer was 5 he was ate up with cancer and had to be put to sleep. I sat on the floor with my wife while we both held him as he took his last breath.

I sat in that room with him for 30 minutes not wanting to say goodbye. It was traumatic as hell. Went to the grocery store the next time and bought dog food. Would come home at night and be looking for him.

She will be at the bridge faithfully waiting for you.

ETA: I had my boxer cremated by Charlotte pet cemetery. He picked him up at the vet and I had him back in a few days in a beautiful urn. He was extremely compassionate and understanding.

I'm sorry for your loss - I too am having to prepare myself for the inevitable that will likely be upon us in a few years. I can't imagine how difficult it must be, but I agree with others that you definitely made the right decision, hopefully that will bring you a little bit of peace.

So sorry. There is not a more honest or pure relationship than the ones our pets give us. They give us so much without asking for much in return.

You likely did not see the signs because you did not want to...a side effect of loving her too much.

At 14...you must have taken really good care of her. What you had to do today is too dam hard. ((((((hugs))))) for you Liquid. I am really sorry.

Our purebred lab was 15 when we said our good byes. I'm 56 and I still get tears in my eyes when I think abut her... and she's been gone for almost 2 years. We don't have kids, so our 2 dogs are our family. And we're waiting for our 17 year old Husky/Shepard mix to tell us it's time...

Always appreciate the time you had together and remember the good times.

Why do we love our pets so much we wont let them suffer? We watched my stepdad gasping for breath dying of cancer for days on end. WTF?

This. We did the same with my dad and it was excruciating watching the downward spiral for months. I'd much rather my family euthanize me if I were in his shoes. It sucks when their pain is such that the death of a loved one is a relief. Seems unfair that anyone should have to live through such suffering.

This is the third time my wife and I have had to put a dog to sleep. Our great dane, Bull, has experienced one male and three female 'siblings' just not coming back home one day. He's going to be nine this year, so his day is approaching too. I could tell he knew exactly what the deal was when we got back home.

Everything went well yesterday, though. Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Archived