• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Per NFL.com: Rivera in the doghouse

Brokenbad

You don't understand the how percentages work do you?

Odds of converting 4th and 1(~80%) > Odds of stopping the Falcons from getting in FG range(45%)

I don't get it. The ballsy/stupid move was to punt it. It's purely cognitive bias to see going for it as the riskier alternative. That's not even bringing up the fact that his QB is Cam Newton. He took the ball out of his best player's hands and put in Matt Ryan's.

As for bringing up the Saints game, there are some major differences. First, putting the game in your defenses hands when you're up 8 is a lot better than being up 1 point. How do you not get that? The Falcons only needed to get to the 35ish to have a shot, the Saints needed to score and then some. There's also the fact that the Saints hadn't gone deep at all. The Falcons clearly knew who to pick on the entire game, why would it change in crunch time?

Had we been in position to kick a FG on our last possession we would have. The Falcons needing a TD to win with 50 seconds would've been significantly better odds for stopping them.

Do we not have a better %age to win if we are up 11, instead of eight?

Do we not have a better %age to win if we give the ball up on our 45, then punting and having the ball on the 20? or even the 1 yard line.

With all these percentages that I seem not to understand, let me ask you this, how did it work out for Mike Smith last year, when he went for it on 4th and 1 and came up short?

I would not and I don't think the media would be blaming rivera for going for the the 1st down if it didn't work. It's a gutsy call but in those situations you try to put away the game. You say it worked last time, well it didn't work on sunday's game, sometimes the gutsy decision is the right one.

The media outcry wouldve have been worse if we didnt get the 1st down, trust me, remember Mike Smith's 4th and 1 failure last year, these same media pundits crucified is ass for not punting. So you think it was a bad call to punt? My point is, RR is a DEF minded coach, 9/10 a DEF minded coach is going to punt....

I personally think we should have went for it... be aggressive, but the punt worked, the defense just didn't...

I agree. We have had several years of sh*t conservative football. I want this team to grow some balls and impose their will on other teams.

What happened to 4th and 1 during the Saints Vs Panthers game? Remember the fumble, that ended the drive in FG range? So lets see we went for the FG instead, How important would those 3 points be at the end of the the Saints game? Brees had more time then we gave Matt Ryan, just Brees threw a pick to Beason.... Imagine if Brees marched down field and got the 2 pt conversion, You dont think RR was thinking about that 4th and 1 against the Saints, when we were damn near field playing a better defense? Punting was the right call.......

If we wouldn't have got the 4th down conversion, RR would be looking like Mike Smith did last year.....

Cowards second guess and their teams will always play to lose.

The difference that separate this team from others is, it feels like every Sunday, you not only put the game on your QB's back but you play to hold on, not to win.

Playing to win also means, rolling the dice when you have too. Playing it safe sends you home losers more times than not.

The defense has never came through when we wanted them to-- why did he trust them then? Cam is 6'5 250 pounds.....and that's on a good day. You also have three other capable backs, this defense is incapable of any trust....at all.

The defense has never came through we wanted them to-- why did he trust them then? Cam is 6'5 250 pounds.....and that's on a good day. You also have three other capable backs, this defense is incapable of any trust....at all.

We have more than 50m in our backfield and not one of them gives RR any confidence to gain 1 yard?? GTFO.

Do we not have a better %age to win if we are up 11, instead of eight?

Do we not have a better %age to win if we give the ball up on our 45, then punting and having the ball on the 20? or even the 1 yard line.

With all these percentages that I seem not to understand, let me ask you this, how did it work out for Mike Smith last year, when he went for it on 4th and 1 and came up short?

The media outcry wouldve have been worse if we didnt get the 1st down, trust me, remember Mike Smith's 4th and 1 failure last year, these same media pundits crucified is ass for not punting. So you think it was a bad call to punt? My point is, RR is a DEF minded coach, 9/10 a DEF minded coach is going to punt....

Mike Smith made the right call at the time not to punt back to a team that holds numerous offensive records. I equate this coaching decision to staying on a 15 in blackjack when the dealer is showing a face card.

Archived