• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why firing Hurney has to happen in 2012

unicar15

Hurney has pretty much made this organization a team that could easily be one in a discussion of moving to LA if it's owner weren't so ingrained in the Carolinas. It is truly the laughing stock of the NFL. This is what our GM has done for us.

But I will be surprised, as most of you, if JR cans Hurney. Maybe he thinks Hurney is going to somehow take the Panthers back to the Superbowl... JR is dreaming if that is the case.

Or maybe he is being overly loyal to Hurney because Hurney was around when we went to the first SB and lost the the Patriots. I hope this isn't the case either or we will never be a consistanly winning organization as long as JR owns the team, IMO.

I'm disgusted with some, I mean alot, of draft choices, trades, players passed up, etc., that Hurney has made. We have talent on this team and with all the mediocre and downright horrible season we've had over the last several season, we should be a Superbowl contender by now.

Not betting on it happening.

My alternative has been to see him promoted to a figurehead position (Vice President in Charge of Whatever) and the GM spot given to a true 'football guy' whether it be rising star or retread.

Not really betting on that either, though, if I'm being honest :(

I've defended this man plenty. I think the needle has moved now, Hurney has to go. The more and more I see the bad he's done the more and more I get frustrated and angry. Not even the hits he's had cushion the blow. I'm starting to think he actually didn't know if the player he drafted that was a hit was actually going to be a hit. It's like he's pinning the tail on the donkey..with the draft and FA pick ups.

I wouldn't bet on him being fired myself. I don't think he really needs to be in charge of personnel decisions or really be a GM at all but I also don't think he's likely to be shown the door after this season (for several reasons - not the least of which is this is probably not that attractive a job until a few contracts are closer to being over - especially if NFL buzz gets to be that Rivera is in jeopardy

I wouldn't mind him being given a position in the organization that was...something other than GM. But I'd see the same problem. Not a very attractive job plus JR has to pull the trigger on cutting Hurney loose and my gut tells me that's just not...likely.

The Panthers have a 5th year option of Cam Newton's contract. We will most assuredley trigger that option.

Per ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Panthers have agreed on a four-year, $22 million contract with Cam Newton. The deal, which is fully guaranteed, also includes a fifth-year, non-guaranteed option worth $14 million.

Plus two years of francise tags (it should be around $19M (going by what Mannings contract gives this year) the first year and $23 (20% increase) the second years, after that it get out of hand).

To me it looks like there is a long term plan to keep Cam with a huge contract, payed for by the $10M a years we now pour into the RB position.

I wouldn't bet on him being fired myself. I don't think he really needs to be in charge of personnel decisions or really be a GM at all but I also don't think he's likely to be shown the door after this season (for several reasons - not the least of which is this is probably not that attractive a job until a few contracts are closer to being over - especially if NFL buzz gets to be that Rivera is in jeopardy

I wouldn't mind him being given a position in the organization that was...something other than GM. But I'd see the same problem. Not a very attractive job plus JR has to pull the trigger on cutting Hurney loose and my gut tells me that's just not...likely.

Something with a nice sounding title but little actual power would allow both he and Richardson to save some face while still doing what's right for the organization.

He's actually quite good at dealing with agents and not getting into pissing matches. If there was a way to have him do that but not have the power to set the contract numbers, I'd be all for it.

Archived