• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

No one talking about this as the cause of the loss to the Bears?

PghPanther

When the Panthers had the ball for their last drive of the game against the Bears and were trailing by 1 point they drove down the field methodically moving the chains and running down the clock.

Once they got into Bears terroritory where a FG attempt could be made with about 2.5 minutes left in the game they decided on a 2nd and short yardage to throw to Smith into the end zone...........then on 3rd down they tried another pass play that failed and as a result kicked the field goal to go ahead in the game but leaving 2.27 on the clock for the Bears...............well we all know what happened then and watched the frustation as the defense gave the Bears the middle of the field to complete pass after pass on their way to a game winning FG....

.......but........

Why didn't the avold this all to begin with the way every head coach would have managed the drive that the Panthers had in taking the lead......

.....instead of throwing for two downs on short yardage in an attempt to score a touchdown..........why didn't the Panthers just work those two downs to move the chains and then with a fresh set of downs keep wearing down the clock as you close in on a shorter FG attempt???.............

Most teams successfully moving the chains near the end of the game looking to win by FG will keep working on moving the chains to get as close as they can for the kick will as little time left on the clock as possible..........then they kick the FG and watch the time run out............game won.

The Panthers were clearly able to keep moving the ball with the run on that last drive and that coaching staff wasted two risky passing plays instead of trying to get a few yards for a first down and run down the clock?

That is a major coaching fubar of clock and game managment..............WTF is wrong with RR and Chud?????

I'm I missing something here?

Seems to me that we lost a super bowl to a team that did this exact same thing to us with a FG and the time running out..................

All well coached teams use this strategy......

Why has this oversight not been address with the Panthers coaching staff?

Would like any input on you thoughts........

Probably thought Matlock would miss...he almost did.............

Yeah but proving my point.......move the ball closer by going after that first down on two plays and make the kick easier with less time on the clock........... as it was we were fortunate he made that kick from where he did with the wind that day.......

I sort of agree with the OP. I agree in that we should have run some time and forced Chicago to burn their time outs... To that point we had essentially shut the Bears O down. On the flip side, I agree with going for the win...

The easy no brainer reason we lost is this simple... Field position... Pooch kicks/onside kicks gave the Bears field position all game. Pinning us often inside of our own 10 yard line. When if we kick it to Hester deep, we'd get the ball at our own oh about 40.

Hester is good, but to pooch kick the entire game and then instruct your punter to kick a 6 yard punt to ensure that the man doesn't touch the ball. I don't think another team has shown this man so much respect in his entire career.

This was ridiculous. I was sitting at a bar in the mtns, we were up 19-7, and had been dominating. As a fan, there is no reason I should have been thinking we were going to find a way to lose that game... And yet there I was, and that's exactly what we did... Smdh

If John Fox was here and we did what the OP suggested and we lost. We would have been tooo conservative. We can't have it both ways. We got the offense we clamored for... sort of eventually... maybe....

The soft zone D we've hated for years when a team was trying to come back with final drive is still lingering though......

Anyways the logic was this-- The Bears did take a time out so they figured we would run the OPs suggested strat so we did the opposite much like last year vs the Saints at home were we went for Smitty long on 3rd and 2 instead of pounding and trying to run out the clock same results both times, - the motive was the same. Run D- we try to pass to counter... heh didn't work either time. Much prefer Foxball in that situation...

Much prefer Foxball in that situation...

Archived