• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tillis: No State money for Panthers stadium

g5jamz

http://www.wral.com/tillis-no-state-money-for-panther-s-stadium/12039139/

Didn't see a thread specific about this...came out yesterday. In case you didn't know...Tillis is the state house leader.

Raleigh, N.C. — North Carolina should not put state tax dollars into the Carolina Panthers stadium in Charlotte but could vote to authorize a rise in the local sales tax, House Speaker Thom Tillis said Tuesday.

During a news conference with reporters in Raleigh, Tillis was asked whether he had met with Panthers owner Jerry Richardson.

"Every month, I probably have an opportunity to meet two or three times with major businesses in North Carolina that are considering moving somewhere else, and that is a very real possibility for the Panthers," said Tillis, R-Mecklenburg. He added, "They create some 4,400 direct jobs, and some 1,500 indirect jobs. They are a major employer in North Carolina."

Tillis described discussions with the team as "preliminary" but said he has taken one avenue for state support out of the discussion.

"I've been clear with the Panthers organization that it is not appropriate to have state taxpayer dollars go directly into the stadium," Tillis said.

if JR moves the team b/c he doesn't get free money off the backs and hard work from taxpayers i say fug him and his team. Don't get me wrong I love the Panthers but something about his actions and holding LA over our heads rubs me the wrong way. If they do leave I definitely wont be a fan of the NFL until we get another team (hopefully with a MUCH better owner that is dedicated to winning and doesn't seek handouts for his BILLION dollar business). I mean why does he think his mediocre team with it's sh!tty winning percentage (4 playoff appearances in 15 seasons) deserves anything in the first place?

if JR moves the team b/c he doesn't get free money off the backs and hard work from taxpayers i say fug him and his team. Don't get me wrong I love the Panthers but something about his actions and holding LA over our heads rubs me the wrong way. If they do leave I definitely wont be a fan of the NFL until we get another team (hopefully with a MUCH better owner that is dedicated to winning and doesn't seek handouts for his BILLION dollar business). I mean why does he think his mediocre team with it's sh!tty winning percentage (4 playoff appearances in 15 seasons) deserves anything in the first place?

except richardson publicly rebuffed california officials on the LA matter:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8619850/carolina-panthers-owner-jerry-richardson-spurns-la-overtures-source

the panthers are his baby and he wants them in the carolinas. the questionable part is going to occur after he passes on.

Every single year our state and local governments give out millions in direct benefits and tax credits to businesses all over this state. From FedEx and GE down to small regional companies we use all manner of financial incentives to get and keep employers. Heres a 30 page brochure on just what can be had from the state: http://www.thrivenc.com/node/624/financial-incentives

No reason the Panthers shouldn't get some of that corporate welfare too.

Archived