• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Florio interview on WFNZ that was actually very good

rayzor

http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2013/03/13/mike-florio-panther-fans-need-to-step-back-and-let-it-play-out/#.UUCqn6KJznM.twitter

i can't stand florio and don't listen to wfnz to be annoyed or love it, but this interview was really good.

talked about the deadspin thing and free agency so far.

word to fans freaking out about the stadium deal and JR asking for money even tho there's a profit...the profit wasn't that big and quite a few teams are doing the same thing with their own cities mainly to keep from being in the situation the vikings were where they were told by the league that if they don't do something soon, there is a city wanting to take their team.

word to fans freaking out about us being inactive in FA...take a deep breath. teams that are hyperactive now are spending because 1) they have a lot of cap room (mainly because they haven't been using it) and they have to. pointed out that there was only one team that miami was bidding against for wallace, and that was miami. also pointed out that it's incredibly rare that teams who make a lot of noise in FA right away have it pay off and turn their teams around. said that drew brees going to NO and reggie white going to green bay are very rare examples of players picked up in FA that turn their teams around. most of the time it's a very short term benefit.

he said a whole lot more about it, but i don't feel like typing more.

anyway...surprisingly good listen.

Yea those are pretty much my thoughts. But I'm not gonna lie, if we signed a big name i would scream like a little girl. I just know it isn't realistic and awful financially. We've got talent at some key positions we just need to become more well-rounded.

yeah, i'd get a bit giddy as well, but then i'd probably look at that deal a couple years down the road and feel the same way i am about the deals with williams, stewart, beason, anderson, godfrey, and gamble.

also pointed out that it's incredibly rare that teams who make a lot of noise in FA right away have it pay off and turn their teams around. said that drew brees going to NO and reggie white going to green bay are very rare examples of players picked up in FA that turn their teams around.

Jake Delhomme coming to Carolina

*ducks and runs

The premier FAs rarely live up to the contracts they sign. Remember when we went on a spending splurge and got Mike Wahle, Justin Hartwig, and Ken Lucas? All were solid players for us, but none of them were what we signed them to be.

and that's not just here...it's most teams.

florio asked, when was the last team that made huge splashes in the opening of FA who went on to be great that year? it just doesn't happen all that often.

certainly not using what Miami did yesterday as a measuring to stick for activity

on paper they look great...but so did the eagles a couple years ago with the dream team and the redskins for years who were hyperactive in FA. the bucs last year seemed to light it up and finished where we did.

had it not been for bad coaching in both games, they would have been swept by us or at least split with us but their activity in FA didn't seem like it did much to help.

you don't have to spend a ton of cash to benefit from FA, but you absolutely have to utilize it (which i'm sure we will) and you have to be smart with it. i don't see miami as being smart with it, tbh.

Archived