• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Further evidence that WR trumps O-Line as a need (PFF edition).

panther4life

Read the title, and I'm pretty certain he is counting both as a need. Giants do real well drafting late round lineman too. Doesn't mean the same will hold true for Gettleman, but I hope so.

I did read the title, and I never said he wasn't, I just don't think that one trumps the other in terms of need. I think we need WR help as much as we need help on the O-Line, and I trust Gettleman will get us that.

...Both Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles both can see we need another viable WR....

I think we need a #1 WR. Smith would be awesome in the slot. But this is about needs, and most coaches and experts would not bring in a new WR without addressing the weaknesses on the right side of the line.

The run game suffered in 2012. Cam was constantly stepping away from inside and outside pressure on the right side of the OL, which can account for holding the ball longer.

We need a veteran RG, draft a later-round rookie T, and bring in a top WR. However, that does not (IMO) make WR a bigger need.

Did I mention Armanti, wise ass? Why would you assume I meant a WR who rarely plays? Do you really expect stats that cannot be compared due to various offensive strategies to be used to determine that WRs are more important than offensive linemen? My theory is that you have to change an opposing viewpoint in order to argue against it.

Wow. PFF has a loyal follower.

For your 1st question, No.

2nd question. Armanti, Pilares, Gettis,Ginn are the depth chart in some order behind Lafell.

3rd question. If you read my commentary next to each bolded stat I tried to be very objective about it and even conceded some of those stats are skewed because of scheme. Granted after weighing all the info and relying on my memory of watching games I still believe Cam would benefit from another weapon more than he would a new o-lineman and provided many panther specific reasons to back that up.

I also am humble enough and open for discussion to hear other opinion's(read my first sentence in the op) or why else would I share my thoughts on a message board if I didn't want to hear varying opinions?(rhetorical question)

Yes I loyally pay my $26/year to get the most comprehensive stats in the industry. If you follow any NFL writers on twitter they reference PFF often as does ESPN. Personally I don't take everything they say for gold(I constantly point out flaws in their grading system) but I like the access to the stats.

There is also the arguement that elite QBs can make average to below average receivers look great. I think Cam will eventually be that. OL and WR are the top 2 weaknesses at the moment. But protecting your franchise QB should always be priority #1. At least we have 2 starters at WR and Olsen at TE. The right side of the line is just a couple of backups thrown into the starting lineup.

Anyone that attended games last year will tell you two things.

1. Cam didn't have enough time to throw the football.

2. When he did have time there was usually not an open reciever.

It's a double edged sword both work together. I think WR is the bigger issue as the roster sits at this point. Bell and Amini will continue to get better while I don't think Lafell will ever be a #1 target and we need smitty in the slot to extend his career.

For your 1st question, No.

2nd question. Armanti, Pilares, Gettis,Ginn are the depth chart in some order behind Lafell.

3rd question. If you read my commentary next to each bolded stat I tried to be very objective about it and even conceded some of those stats are skewed because of scheme. Granted after weighing all the info and relying on my memory of watching games I still believe Cam would benefit from another weapon more than he would a new o-lineman and provided many panther specific reasons to back that up.

I also am humble enough and open for discussion to hear other opinion's(read my first sentence in the op) or why else would I share my thoughts on a message board if I didn't want to hear varying opinions?(rhetorical question)

Yes I loyally pay my $26/year to get the most comprehensive stats in the industry. If you follow any NFL writers on twitter they reference PFF often as does ESPN. Personally I don't take everything they say for gold(I constantly point out flaws in their grading system) but I like the access to the stats.

If you are "humble and open to hear other's opinions" then great--I will agree to disagree all day and we both grow wiser for it.. However, do not get anal and go wise ass if someone presents a different perspective. I appreciate the effort and the sharing. However, I think there is a difference between the offenses you present, not the QBs as much. I can get rid of a slant much faster than a hitch and go.

Thanks for the insights, however. There is some validity in them and they make you think. I do not agree that they tell you what you say they do--nothing against you. THanks for the civil explanation.

If you are "humble and open to hear other's opinions" then great--I will agree to disagree all day and we both grow wiser for it.. However, do not get anal and go wise ass if someone presents a different perspective. I appreciate the effort and the sharing. However, I think there is a difference between the offenses you present, not the QBs as much. I can get rid of a slant much faster than a hitch and go.

Thanks for the insights, however. There is some validity in them and they make you think. I do not agree that they tell you what you say they do--nothing against you. THanks for the civil explanation.

All is good bud,and I am glad you are able to be civil as well...no way I was gonna extend this thread 15 pages beefing like other members do.

Now that I no longer worry obout my post count I'll play. As the smartest person in my house, let me give you guys/gals some sage advice.

You build your line to fit your scheme. If someone is there that fits the criteria, you take him. Whether that is Oline or Dline. You take him. Quick and mobile, big and plodding, strong and athletic, whatever your preference, you take him.

Football games are won on the lines. If you don't believe that. Look no further than our own Dline. When you have better lines, it is easier for you to set the tone. To exert your will so to speak.

Skill position players have their place. Don't get me wrong. And you can draft them at almost any time. But if there is a linemen that fits your scheme sitting there. You... that's right... take him.

Linemen make the engine go. Ergo, they are more important. We were pretty darn good offensively once we got it together. And that was with a poooty line. Imagine that offense with a decent line? Or even, dare we pray, a very good line?

So don't be suprised if we do go for a linemen at 14. Or not.

Forget protecting Cam, if we're going to win it will be as a RUNNING team, not passing, like the 49ers were. We're not keeping the highest paid RBs in the league to pass first. If we can establish a power running game, Cam will have plenty of time to throw 20-25 times a game. Running wears on a defense, takes the pressure off ours with more time of possession and keeps the ball away in the 4th quarter. The right side of our line will determine our success. FIX IT!!

Archived