• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Charles Davis reaffirms he is the biggest idiot in sports media

JawnyBlaze

Did you even listen to what they said? It wasn't so bad. So he thought Richardson was a better fit for what we do, so what! Regarding Smitty, he was pretty much on point as far as I'm concerned. You do have to remember that these are national analysts, not diehard fans.

exactly. Anyone bashing the guys wasn't listening to what they said. Most of it was pretty spot on...preferring Richardson is just a guess but nothing crazy.

I mean, Billick isn't wrong... We DO need to give help to Smitty/Cam/the offense. There's also need on the oline. We just have so many holes, it's going to be hard to piece all of them together in one draft.

However, I do like the Star pick. But, I think he's just like Charles says. He's a 34 DE (much like Ngata) or he's a 43, 3tech. He's a better player than Charles makes him out to be, most definitely. He's strong, he's powerful, and he can make plays. I think he'll be an awesome addition to our defensive line moving forward.

Ask yourself this: if Davis and Mayock are such geniuses at talent evaluation why haven't either of them been hired away by an NFL team?

I like Davis and Mayock but at the end of the day they are talking heads and I take everything they say with a grain of salt.

exactly. Anyone bashing the guys wasn't listening to what they said. Most of it was pretty spot on...preferring Richardson is just a guess but nothing crazy.

I listened to what they said. Thrice through. Saying that the Panthers would be cursing the fact that Richardson was taken before them with Star still on the board is beyond crazy. Saying Richardson fits what we do more than Star is crazy. Richardson's best fit is 3-4 DE in my opinion. At that spot he has Watt potential. Implying Star fits as a 3-4 DE more than Richardson is crazy. Star is the very prototype of a 4-3 DT, whereas Richardson is just about the prototype of a 3-4 DE.

Billick wasn't nearly as off the wall as Davis, but he implied we should have taken a WR instead of Star. There's not a WR in this draft, even if not a single one had been taken, that's even in the ballpark of Star. Billick brought up the Ngata comparisons and they were both shaking their heads like it was just ridiculous. Ngata's a proven guy, but to say Star has Ngata potential is not a stretch by any means. Ngata was no more proven or talented coming out of college than Star.

They both were saying the pick of Star was "ok" or "eh, good". Pretty much everyone else in the media, everyone here, fans of division rivals, just about everyone else everywhere is saying this is a great pick and a great player.

With two of the best 4-3 DE's in the game and a solid pass rusher in Dwan Edwards, rushing the passer is not our problem. We don't need Star to be a pass rusher. In time I think he'll be effective at it but we need him to take up blockers and stuff the run and he was the best in the draft at that.

The 2nd round pick has to be a WR in my opinion.

No idea why people get upset over different opinions about which of two highly rated players to take. if it gets you worked up enough to insult somebody then you might have personality issues.

I've been saying Davis is an idiot for years. And calling him an idiot doesn't mean someone gets so worked up they might have personality issues. It means they call it like they see it. I don't get "worked up" over talking heads' opinions. I didn't even get worked up over Nawrocki's slanderous opinions of Cam. I just laughed about it and thought he was an idiot.

By your logic I could just as easily say that you getting so worked up over someone on a forum calling a draft analyst an idiot might mean you have personality issues.

not sure what everyone is complaining about. He said right out that we have had a screaming need for DT for a long time, and that it seemed like we didn't like any of the receivers enough to take them at 14. Sounds accurate to me. He also said that we can now address the receiver need, finding a quality guy later in the draft since only 1 went off the board. Sounds good to me. Someone has their panties in a wad.

I listened to what they said. Thrice through. Saying that the Panthers would be cursing the fact that Richardson was taken before them with Star still on the board is beyond crazy. Saying Richardson fits what we do more than Star is crazy. Richardson's best fit is 3-4 DE in my opinion. At that spot he has Watt potential. Implying Star fits as a 3-4 DE more than Richardson is crazy. Star is the very prototype of a 4-3 DT, whereas Richardson is just about the prototype of a 3-4 DE.

Disagree. Star IS a 3-4 NT and 3-Tech DT which implies he can play to the outside of the guard or take up position inside of them. He's quite versatile in this regard which allows him to play in a 4-3.

Sheldon actually fits the 4-3 better because he's undersized and more of a UT, which is what Dwan is and why we didn't need him. He was a redundant player for our line.

Actually, Richardson is widely regarded as a one-gap player so he's considered a poor fit for a 3-4 scheme.... he's the classic 3-technique and wouldn't be much of a NT.

Star is considered to be much more versatile, he can play NT and has flashed pass rushing potential.

Star would have been a much better fit in a 3-4 then Richardson AND he is more versatile in a 4-3 then Richardson.

Disagree. Star IS a 3-4 NT and 3-Tech DT which implies he can play to the outside of the guard or take up position inside of them. He's quite versatile in this regard which allows him to play in a 4-3.

Sheldon actually fits the 4-3 better because he's undersized and more of a UT, which is what Dwan is and why we didn't need him. He was a redundant player for our line.

heh, we'll just agree to disagree then :)

I agree Star is versatile enough to play any DT position (including 3-4 DE), but I think he's best as a 4-3 DT. Not pigeon-holed into UT/NT, not every 4-3 team operates that way. He's just a big nasty DT that collapses pockets and holds the point of attack.

I think Sheldon fits 3-4 DE better BECAUSE he's undersized. 3-4 DEs are usually DTs that are a little taller, longer arms, and leaner than your average 4-3 DT. Ngata isn't the standard for 3-4 DEs, he's just the best because he's so athletic for his size. Guys like Seymour, Watt and Justin Smith are all taller, longer, leaner guys that are under 300 lbs and are the mold for 3-4 DEs. They could all function in a 4-3 as an UT I'm sure, but are better as 3-4 DEs, just like Richardson. Just my opinion though :)

Archived