• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Future Cap Space? Keeping our Core

Catalyst

Does anyone know what our cap situation is going to be over the next few years? I'm sitting here thinking of all the big contracts we'll need to hand out to keep our core players and frankly I'm not sure it'll be possible. Just off the top of my head:

#1: Cam - Obviously the top priority will be getting Cam locked up for the long haul. This deal will be in the area of $150 million if recent deals signed by Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees are any indication and when adjusted for the usual increase in NFL contracts each year.

#2: Greg Hardy - Kraken will also command top dollar. I fear we may not be able to keep him, though Gettleman does put such a premium on the pass rush he may view Hardy as a must to keep. At any rate I just don't see how we can keep both Cam and Hardy unless our cap situation clears up significantly in the next year or two.

#3: Brandon LaFell - Jury's still out on whether he'll be re-signed, but he's a solid #2 with room to still improve. If he comes out this year and has a big year it could further complicate matters.

#4: Luke Kuechly - The new rookie deals aren't as long as they used to be, so his extension will be coming sooner than we may think. We should have cleared up our cap situation by then, but if we are to sign Cam and Hardy to big extensions, how much will be left for Luke?

The cap is supposed to increase significantly in 2 years. Cam will obviously get a huge contract but until he takes us into the deep into the playoffs, I don't think he is up there with Rodgers and Bree's. of course we also have to see what else Gettleman has up his sleeve concerning players like Beason and Deangelo.

That's why I think we should go ahead and lock up the Kraken for the next 6 years now.  He doesn't seem like the type that would just coast after getting his payday, seems he thrives off the competition and the opportunity to punish QBs.  If we go ahead and sign him to an extension now, it won't be nearly as big as what we'll have to pay him next year if he repeats this past year.

Cams contract wont be that big unless he wins us a superbowl. even brees and rodgers 2nd contracts were around 60 million. If he gets superbowl mvp he probably will make around 100 million for 5-6 years.

1. Cam will be a top 10 paid QB at least, but it's more likely to be a top 5 type of contract. With the make up of the rookie contracts he's already got a 5th year option worth top 10 salary. 

2. With Hardy having Rosenhaus as his agent, I'd imagine that this deal will be pretty massive. I mean the Panther's two DE's have two things in common. Rosenhaus as an agent and double digit sack seasons. That combination = massive big time money. 

3. Lafell is a really good third option and that's about it right now and unless he makes a huge jump this season he's likely gone. He could stay if he agreed to a small deal as a third option.

4. Kuechly still has his rookie contract of 4 years with a 5 year option. Still a couple years away from even being able to extend him. 

1. Cam will be a top 10 paid QB at least, but it's more likely to be a top 5 type of contract. With the make up of the rookie contracts he's already got a 5th year option worth top 10 salary. 

2. With Hardy having Rosenhaus as his agent, I'd imagine that this deal will be pretty massive. I mean the Panther's two DE's have two things in common. Rosenhaus as an agent and double digit sack seasons. That combination = massive big time money. 

3. Lafell is a really good third option and that's about it right now and unless he makes a huge jump this season he's likely gone. He could stay if he agreed to a small deal as a third option.

4. Kuechly still has his rookie contract of 4 years with a 5 year option. Still a couple years away from even being able to extend him. 

Hardy and Johnson have one big difference: Hurney's no longer the GM. Hurney leveraged his business sense to a frightening degree, assuming that he would find a way to wiggle out of cap hell whenever he felt like it. Those paydays hopefully never pop up again.

I agree with everything else. See no reason to pay LaFell at all, and Cam will likely get a big deal that will stop short of hamstringing the team. I don't think it's time to panic yet.

Cam will get his pay day, but that is after all the Beason/Stewart/Williams money is off the cap so no problem. 

Hardy is gone, enjoy him this season and and curse Hurney next year and be done with it. We will just not have the money to pay him. 

LaFell??? What is his place in this thread. A decent receiver that is nothing special.

Luke will get some money as well but as he is a lb (with Hurney gone) I do not see us breakning the bank to get him (worst case is the 5 year rookie deal plus taged for a year). 

Archived