• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why is Shula simplifying the offense?

SCP

I know this turned into a lighthearted thread, but my whole point kind of relates back to Zod's fears about Shula from his days in Tampa and Alabama. I'm sure he simplified things then as well. First you cut down the terminology and length of the play call. Then what, you cut back on plays that involve risk and pound it up the middle because a punt is not necessarily a bad play?

My jury is still out on Shula. I love his family's steakhouse though.

Why do so many Huddler's think Shula is going to 'pound it up the middle'???

I think many here (not saying you SCP) long for the days of John Fox and "Double Trouble", don't trust/see the ability of Newton, or remember Cam end of last year or his Rookie Season.

Shula, knows the strengths of this team are Cam. And I think that Cam will throw deep, throw short and intermediate (including to his backs), hand off in more traditional sets, as well as the read option. How does any of this mean he's going to have a ground and pound offense??

Shula knows that utilizing Cam, is the best way for this team to have success. At least I would like to hope so. 

I understand many are fearful of Shula's past. So was I. Shula certainly wasn't my first, 2nd or third even third choice as OC. Nonetheless, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, and rely on his experience being the QB coach (remember guys, he wasn't the "running backs" coach), that he'll get the best out of the passing, as well as the running game for the team. 

We'll see?

streamline the focus, streamline the verbiage,  streamline what goes on from play to play.

do whatever it takes to get the ball out quicker and get more plays off. i want this team to adopt the no huddle-hurry up offense and make use of this QBs improvisational skills and get this offense to wear out opposing defenses quicker and make it harder for defenses to adjust and adapt to what they do. 

i'd love to see this team streamline the formations they use and alter every  play to start off from just a handful of formations. this would cut out the amount of time needed to set up and make it harder for defenses to diagnose what the offense was up to.

speed and endurance kills. you want to dictate what the other team's defense does? you control the pace and make it impossible for teams to keep up.

streamline the focus, streamline the verbiage,  streamline what goes on from play to play.

do whatever it takes to get the ball out quicker and get more plays off. i want this team to adopt the no huddle-hurry up offense and make use of this QBs improvisational skills and get this offense to wear out opposing defenses quicker and make it harder for defenses to adjust and adapt to what they do. 

i'd love to see this team streamline the formations they use and alter every  play to start off from just a handful of formations. this would cut out the amount of time needed to set up and make it harder for defenses to diagnose what the offense was up to.

speed and endurance kills. you want to dictate what the other team's defense does? you control the pace and make it impossible for teams to keep up.

Just thinking about the endurance part...I bet with Cam losing the 12 pounds he may be in a little better shape at the end of games (not that he wasn't in shape before).  I expect to see more 50+ yd TD runs from Cam in the 2nd half of games next year, when the defenses are gassed.

I agree with everything you said. 

Plus, Cam and the offense have shown (until proven otherwise), that they're more effective, running traditional sets, due to Cam's uncanny passing and running threat that he possesses. 

More "Traditional" certainly doesn't mean slow or ground and pound, as some here think or would like!!

Last year, the Panther offenses TOP was less than many other teams with similar yardage (which affected their scoring opportunities), so I applaud Shula trying to get the plays out quicker. No matter what this team does defensively, the strength will be the offense, as long as Cam, Olsen, the RB's, a healthy offensive line and Smith are present. 

With a QB like Cam, you don't have to try to fool the defense (for example the Way Wash does with RG3) all the time, if it's well executed and Cam/the runners get the proper blocking. 

When I read "simplifying" and then I think back to the Peter Pan Tricky Fairy Dust Offense we ran last year I think "duh".

We all complained non-stop last year about how we kept trying to outsmart everyone instead of using our weapons for what they are. I, for one, will do a fuging happy dance in my living room if things come out slightly more straight-forward than they were last year. And if I never have to think "3rd down? The option will fool them for sure this time they'll never expect a third one" again so much the better.

Cam, Rivera, etc have all said we will run the same offense.

Yesterday, Cam only said calling his play would be simplified....bc everyone should know what to do instead of him barking out so much

Everyone talks like a 4 game window out of 32 is now "Chuds O" and the rest didnt exist

Rivera and staff are trying to figure out the reason for slow starts in each of the last 2 years.  The complexity of the playbook is probably one of the factors. 

Silatolu seemed to start getting it when the Panthers hosted the Bucs.  McCoy ate his lunch during the first encounter, around week 2, but he played much better durng the second meeting around week 10.  From that point, he played well down the stretch.

It seems that the Oline improved more than any other unit as the team turned the corner, even though Kalil was injured.  Part of that was the strength of schediule down the homestretch, however.  How complex does the read option need to be for the OL?  That could be a factor.

This could suggest that we will expect the new additions (Barner, Kugbila, and Hixon) to hit the ground running.  Specifically, Kugbila.  Kalil, Gross, Bell, and Hangartner are pretty smart guys.  Now we have Silatolu and Kugbila.  Confusing them is not the best approach,  

Cam, Rivera, etc have all said we will run the same offense.

Yesterday, Cam only said calling his play would be simplified....bc everyone should know what to do instead of him barking out so much

Everyone talks like a 4 game window out of 32 is now "Chuds O" and the rest didnt exist

That's not what were talking about. Those 4 games were atrocious and most of the situational play calling was as well.

But were talking about keeping everyone in rhythm. Getting to the line quick, Cam sending out the information and having time on the play clock. Too many times last year Cam was clapping his hands quickly to get the ball out before the playclock wound down.

I want this team to play faster.

This is exactly what I was worried about when I heard Cam say that yesterday.

I'm trying to be optimistic, but him doing the exact same thing now that he did in 1996 is making it difficult.

Archived