• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Captain Munnerlyn: It’s scary how good the Panthers defense can be

Im not worried about what anybody outside the panthers organization thinks/says.

I expect our defense to be a top defense.

I also expect any defensive player playing for rivera, damn well be confident, and to bring it, also

expecting for them to be a part of a top defense.

If they aren't, then I don't want them on the team.

Im not worried about what anybody outside the panthers organization thinks/says.

I expect our defense to be a top defense.

I also expect any defensive player playing for rivera, damn well be confident, and to bring it, also

expecting for them to be a part of a top defense.

If they aren't, then I don't want them on the team.

100% agree.

Your head coach is known for good defenses your DC has been apart of a top defense and a protege of one of the greatest defensive minds in the NFL.

There should be some sort of swagger. 

Yeah, I'm still wary, our secondary is terrible. Enough of boasting up our defense/offense and make it fuging happen. Actions speak louder than words.

I know it's been said many times, but it's true...if you've got a dominant front 7, you don't need a really good secondary.  What we have in the secondary will be enough if everything falls into place (Star being a star, Kraken taking the next step, LB's remaining healthy, etc).  That's a big "if", of course. 

If Star and/or KK can become a force sooner than later in the season....if Beaston can get back to pre-injury form and stay on the field....and if our secondary can just be slightly above average I see no reason why we cannot be a top 10 defense. Tough schedule or not.

I know it's been said many times, but it's true...if you've got a dominant front 7, you don't need a really good secondary. What we have in the secondary will be enough if everything falls into place (Star being a star, Kraken taking the next step, LB's remaining healthy, etc). That's a big "if", of course.

That would also mean that our pressure would have to be CONSISTENT, and still there are ways creative coaches like Sean Payton can game plan around it with shorter developing plays.

On paper the panthers definitely have the talent to be elite. It's probable that they go top ten. As far as making plays, creating turnovers, wreaking havoc at every level and generally being a matchup nightmare against any offense, ...well I'm more of a "believe it when I see it" type person and not so much of a "believe it until I see it not happen" type person. There's no shortage of the latter on this board.

Way to go on a limb on that one.  Top 10.  You are so generous.  Considering we were 10 top in 2012. 

Changing your tune in mid-stream?  Just last week you said

"Whoever says that our safeties could hang with anybody else's like you did has to be full of poo anyways..."  

Or does your talent to be elite not include our safeties?

Your comment "well I'm more of a "believe it when I see it" type person and not so much of a "believe it until I see it not happen" type person. There's no shortage of the latter on this board." 

"I would say There's no shortage of the former on this board"  

With the "believe it when I see it" mentality I guess management should never have a vision, right?   The whole concept of improving through the draft and free agency is "What this player brings to the table"  not throw him in there and if he doesn't work we'll do something else.

Rivera and McDermott have had defenses that wreak havoc.  You just got to have all the pieces.  I think in year three.  They do.  You can't be elite if you don't make plays, wreak havoc and cause turnovers. 

But now that we agree that we have the talent on this team to be elite.  Maybe you'll look at it in a positive manner than a negative one. 

DARE TO DREAM

All B.S. aside.  You have to take each season as something new.  No one knew Jake and the Cardiac Cats were going to explode in 2003.  Some may have been excited and probably a few who knew of Jake before in his College days may have known.   If you don't get excited and have some fun with it. Why even be a fan.  Sure I could be as you,  Davis's knee probably gonna blow out, Kraken has to prove it to me another year before I consider him elite pass rusher. Our safeties suck every year and we did very little to address it.

I was on the Nakamura bandwagon big time last year.  The man had been a backup to a great safety in Baltimore.  He had to have learned something.  Yet he bombed in a big way.  Does that mean Mitchell gonna bomb?  IDK for a fact one way or the other.  Neither do you.  What I do believe is Gettleman and Rivera believe he will be or could be a good compliment to Godfrey.

So I concede that NO ONE, not you or me knows exactly who will suck, and who will be a steal.  I just look at it like management does.  This guy has a chance to make us better.  So I look at it in a positve manner.

Will we suck? Pray not, Will we be #1 Defense..Hope so but I will take 5-7 in offensively and defensively.  I think those are very obtainable goals.  But like Kraken why not shoot for the moon and #1.

If you look at 2007 and 2011....I bet there are at least 5-6 guys that started games in those secondaries that were drafted in rounds 1 and 2.

Now I agree the NY secondary wasn't impressive I still think it is generous to act like we mirror them.

Regardless of round taken i don't remember ever hearing about a dominant or even an overly successful Giants secondary. They were always just the clean up crew to the rock stars up front. This is what we will have. Our two Defenses dont mirror each other but there are some similarities.

Could the defense this year be the sure thing that turns out to be awful like the offense was this time last year?

I think the last few years has made everyone believe that we can't be good on both sides of the ball and will only be able to manage one side or the other.  Both of us have been fans long enough to have seen us excel on both sides of the ball like in 2005.  I am rooting for us to get back to being a complete team that finally catches a break with all the injuries as well.  I may be wrong but for June that is where I am going to be until something happens to dissuade me from that view.

Frankly I am tired of this team being the weak sister that when other teams look at the schedule, they pencil us in as a win.  I want teams to look at us and wish we weren't on their schedule instead of being happy we are there.  

The main reason I feel comfortable that the D isn't going to turn out to be awful is because we have one man: Luke. I love Cam and think he's gonna blow up this year, but Luke has much more maturity and leadership on D than Cam did in the O the first two years which I think makes our D the more stable unit regardless of injury. I think we have much better depth on D too.

Archived