• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So I got punched in the face today

Captroop

I play flag football Sunday mornings with a group on Meetup. Well today, while playing on line, one of the guys I was blocking got his panties in a wad because he thought I was blocking high on him. Well after one play, after he releases he punches me square in the mouth busting my upper and lower lip.

To be honest, I was totally caught off guard. It's been longer than I can remember that someone actually took a swing at me. Then he says, "How does that feel?" (obviously a reference to me blocking high on him. But I'm at least 5 inches taller than him, and he's doing spin moves and everything. I can't help it if when I try to get my hands back on his chest after he spins or swim moves on me, I might bump his head a little. And I was blocking 3 different guys that day, and he was the only guy that complained.) So then he squares up and puts up his fists like he wants to fight.

I just stare at him and say, "Seriously?" In a way that was more satisfying than actually fighting him. I think I crushed his ego. He delivered a haymaker cheap shot straight to my face, and I didn't even budge or wince. I just went back and lined up for the next play.

(You might ask if I drove him into the ground, or popped him on a later play. But after that, the guy stopped playing on D Line so I really didn't get the chance)

Now I honestly I want to know your guys' opinions. Would you have fought him? Does the code of masculinity ordain that when you take a shot you have to engage in fisticuffs? I didn't because honestly I think getting in a fistfight over a game of flag football is one of the most pathetic demonstrations of masculinity I can imagine. It's right up there with a fight over a TV on a black friday doorbuster sale. But then again, in the words of a southern gentleman, he offended my honor and I want satisfaction.

So what would you do in my shoes?

Follow up question, what would you do next week at the game? Throw his ass to the ground, stomp on his foot "accidentally" or just start with a clean slate and chalk it up to the heat an exhastion getting to him this week.

Yeah, flag football is a bad reason to fight. However, getting sucker punched is a great reason to fight.

You are a bigger man than me, for sure. If it were me, dude would probably have two glass eyes right about now.

So... block low next time. The liver sticks out a few inches below the right side of the ribcage (your left).

Reminds me of an altercation I had back when I was 22.

Had to defend my property (my car) from a guy that didn't yeild to my warning. This guy had 5 inches and at least 40lbs on me. As I was pulling him him out of the drivers door of the car, he got in a sucker punch that caught me off balance...slipped in the snow to the ground. My intentions were not to fight thus guy, but after the sucker punch, I began to feel my blood boil. Never a good thing. As I came up off the ground I speared him up against the front fender of the car, pinning him there momentarily with my forearm against his throught.

I warned him if he continued to escalate the issue, that both he and I would end up regretting it.

He finally began to calm down.

Of course, there is more to this story than I'm sharing, but the point being, fights don't have to resolve altercations.

Honestly, the guy was lucky I wasn't much younger, when I lacked the maturity and control of my temper.

Perfect response. 

You were the bigger man and everyone that witnessed the exchange realizes it.  

This guy sounds like a hot head with a Napoleon complex.

Hopefully he regrets his behavior and will have calmed down by next Sunday. 

If not, you may be dealing with an individual that has some serious emotional issues.

Archived