• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Big men allow you to compete,"--Dave Gettlemen

MHS831

I love how fans feel that our GM is ignoring the issue.

But they want him to do something right now!!!!!  This second.  We should have 2 guards and a new RT today.  Because all the other teams with OL issue, Atlanta, Dallas, etc..etc.. are all bringing in talent while we are sitting on our hands!!!!...  Wait you say everyone is waiting on cuts as well?  So they aren't trading away talent and what depth they have to upgrade their lines?....Well..um...um...

Then Dave G should be screaming in the press about how we need OL help and basically screw up any negotiating leverage we have.  I think he is probably just watching OITNB on netflix instead of scouting OL and secondary options.

I love how fans feel that our GM is ignoring the issue.

Bc the fanbase was so off base pointing out stuff with the last GM?

But I think DG has a big plan....and since we don't know that....we just speculate. His plan may be good or it may not be.

Ok.. lets break this down rationally.

Trade value of running backs:

Deangelo Williams 30yr old ..plus expensive

Stewart .....broken plus expensive

Everyone else... no one is trading a starting quality guard for.

Trade value DE:

Charles Johnson...aint happening

Greg Hardy... right now cheap.  Playing in a contract year..probably gonna be franchised by us next year.

Frank Alexander. ...Maybe? But not worth a starting quality guard imo.  There are plenty of DE's that show spark in limited playing time.  More value to us than anyone else.

Everyone else... no one is trading a starting quality guard for.

So what does that leave?

WR... ROFL

DT..... PFFT.....

Secondary.... I would pay for someone to take Nakurmura.

Special teams......Giggles.....

LB position.......I'm sure we never lose linebackers during the year.  So we have awesome depth (sarcasm).

So what does that leave? 

Derrick Anderson?  There was a reason people weren't beating down the door for him. 

Jimmy Clausen?  Why get 2010 Jimmy Clausen when 2008 Jimmy Clause a.k.a Matt Leinart is a free agent?

The OP makes it sound like all we have to do is dangle a player out there and magically a starting level guard is going to appear.  People stock pile OL talent.  That's where a lot of injuries happen.

So to sum it up.

1. Dave G. has nothing to trade with.

2. He is probably going to scoop up people he is scouting after the cut down. 

3. I think injuries have more of an effect on whether or not we get new OL.  I honestly believe that our FO believes we have talented players who just aren't playing to potential.  I don't believe it but I think they do.  Look at how Rivera talks up Bell in interviews.

4. Just because you have 15 mill in salary cap space doesn't mean you should spend it.  Especially if you don't get value for it.  That is a Hurney move.

5.  If you all have not figured it out, the team ie .. Jerry Richardson philosophy is to build through the draft.  We are probably never going to bring in the big name free agent as long as this is the case.

Hey, I def see this perspective, but there are a few options.  We could rework and extend Hardy before trading, for example.  Then there is the obvious option--draft picks.   I personally do not like that idea, but...

Thanks for the time this took--nice work.  I agree with about all of it.  However, I would have never thought we would have signed as many free agents as we did and be sitting way under the cap in August.

It seems the huddle is neglecting quite a few things in regards to our roster this year.

1. We are in cap hell. We will be in cap hell for a number of years. Hurney bent us over a barrel and showed us the 50 states in this department. Yes we have restructured some of our crappier deals, but they don't help us completely in the long run. If I am not mistaken, I think we are still over the cap for the next number of years and we have a few studs on our roster that we need to re-sign including Cam, Hardy, and Luke. We freed up, what was it, about 13 mil under the cap this year, but I'm pretty sure Gettleman did it in order to roll it over for next year, putting us in a better financial situation for the future. We have a bunch of dead money in contracts coming up with Deangelo, and Beason, and we need a way to pay for it. 
  2. He addressed one of the biggest pressing issue this franchise has had over the past 6 or 7 years in drafting 2 DTs and re-signing Edwards. He seems to be building us from the ground up through the draft, and he seems to be better at it than Hurney already.
  3. He has signed stop gap players for this and next year, something Hurney never seemed to do.
  4. There is no one worth picking up that is available as an O-Lineman at the moment. 
  5. We have nothing to trade in order to get one. 

And the fact Newton will routinely turn what would be sack for the majority of starters into this league into a positive play...

Eventually, you would have to assume playing with fire will get you burnt....and Newton hurt.

Don't take this the wrong way, but, huh? In one sentence you love Cam and his running. But in the next, you are worried about it?

There are a LOT of QBs that can avoid pressure and make a positive play. Does that mean they all have pooty O-lines? Or does it mean Cam is better? He ran out of trouble 3 times the other night, and only got 1 first down.

Um, yeah, fire hurts. We had this same, almost, O-line at the end of last year. Cam and the O played well. Mostly because the penalties went away and we weren't shooting ourselves in the foot.

It is much easier for Cam to scramble for 5-7 yards and a first down. With penalties, like last night, those 3rd and 15 scrambles are a lot tougher. So cut out the penalties and Cam is more effective.

you acknowledge rome wasn built in a day so whats the point of the thread? 

we addressed the DL this past offseason and we will address the OL next offseason. 

Well, to me, that leads us directly to the question of expectations (which I have mentioned before). It seems like most people are calling for Rivera's head if we don't get to the playoffs, but when you look at some of the play of our O-line, and (I dare say) our receivers, you must ask yourself if we really have the tools to make it to the playoffs.  Moreover, if we blow the motherfuger up at the end of the season and stunt our overall growth based upon disingenuous expectations, then we will undoubtedly push our date with the postseason even further back.

There is some perverseness here somewhere.

But they want him to do something right now!!!!!  This second.  We should have 2 guards and a new RT today.  Because all the other teams with OL issue, Atlanta, Dallas, etc..etc.. are all bringing in talent while we are sitting on our hands!!!!...  Wait you say everyone is waiting on cuts as well?  So they aren't trading away talent and what depth they have to upgrade their lines?....Well..um...um...

Then Dave G should be screaming in the press about how we need OL help and basically screw up any negotiating leverage we have.  I think he is probably just watching OITNB on netflix instead of scouting OL and secondary options.

Come on.   We/He knew in February the right side of the line was poor--answer:  4th round G from Valdosta State who was projected by most to go 7/FA.  I think Gman has been watching the wire for a good RT / vet RG for a while.  He brought in Wharton for a reason.  To suggest that everyone wants it done "right now" is inaccurate unless by "right now" you mean the entre offseason, but it does serve your argument well.

Let;s pretend for a moment that one person unaffiliated with the Panthers and the NFL does not have all the answers:  There is no right answer, no simple solution. There are many ways to address the issue, but the issue must and will be addressed.  Is "do nothing" an option?  If you want to tank the season.

Don't take this the wrong way, but, huh? In one sentence you love Cam and his running. But in the next, you are worried about it?

There are a LOT of QBs that can avoid pressure and make a positive play. Does that mean they all have pooty O-lines? Or does it mean Cam is better? He ran out of trouble 3 times the other night, and only got 1 first down.

Um, yeah, fire hurts. We had this same, almost, O-line at the end of last year. Cam and the O played well. Mostly because the penalties went away and we weren't shooting ourselves in the foot.

It is much easier for Cam to scramble for 5-7 yards and a first down. With penalties, like last night, those 3rd and 15 scrambles are a lot tougher. So cut out the penalties and Cam is more effective.

I got no problem with Cam choosing to run....but that is past the line of scrimmage. As a runner he sees where the bodies are coming from.

The most dangerous place for Cam is in the pocket....and I was referring to linemen simply not doing a sufficient job and him pulling Houdini acts. Guys get on Cam too quick too often...scrambling for his life in the pocket bc guys can't block isn't the "running" I support.

There are not a lot of QBs that can get out of some of the mess Cam has....he is the only starter in the league with the skill set to have a shot at a couple of his magical escapes....

We also played weaker defensive lines as the season progressed

Sure there will be plenty of O-linemen cut in the coming days. But there are plenty of teams that still need O-line help. Is some guy going to choose us over Dallas? Very few teams can cut O-linemen that can actually contribute.

Please do not hold your breath waiting on a RG or RT to be brought in to save the day. I do not know CPR, so you would be putting yourself in undo danger.

Archived