• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Begin Head Coach Search?

carp24000

If the season was lost, I may agree. But we've only played three games. Three.

At this point, we're likely to turn off some quality candidates instead of attracting them by us handling things this way. Bottom line, Richardson should have nutted up and paid the money to fire Rivera this year if he was so unsure. Instead, we are now creating needless distractions.

I'm withholding judgment on whether it was the right decision to retain Rivera till later in the season.

And honestly, I don't think it reflects badly on us unless we leaked it, which I have a hard time buying into.

Of course there hasn't been any actual noted contact, that's against league rules assuming that the coach is employed in the league. However, it says that there is enough interest "so much so" that one person knows. I'd say that's enough contact.

I know you enjoy adding your subtle "I know more than you" to most of your posts, but it's possible that you read into things differently than someone else. That doesn't mean you're right.

And with that, I'm doing responding to you. Ever. So, please humor me and do the same for me.

Not saying I know more than you, but believing that what's being said here indicates "contact" requires reading something into it that isn't being said.

The only definitive statement we have is that they're doing background checks.  Saying one guys knows about it and saying we contacted him are very different conclusions, one supported by facts, one not.

this is kind of ridiculous, sorry, but I don't support Gettles doing this right now...

edit: at least, contacting candidates and the like.  but meh, we'll see, maybe he thinks he can motivate rivera this way.  just seems like it could be a huge distraction for players & coaches

There's no indication that he's contacted anybody.

All we know about is "background checks" which don't require, and generally don't involve, contact with the person being checked out.

• Pie 1

I think that only applies to fans and fringe media.  Most understand the context and take it for what it is.  Just like real insiders scoff at the comparisons draft pundits make every year.   

I believe the most important thing you can take from those comparisons is how Rivera sees those players being used. 

The point I make is aligned with yours--the fans and the media will remember those comments and the player will be reminded of these expectations through twitter, interviews. etc.  I understand what he means, but he needs to understand the potential consequences of his illustrations. 

He called AJ Klein "Luke Kuechly 2.0" or something.  This team needs focus--not pressure and distractions. 

Jesus guys-- we don't know if someone was talked too (which happens all the time regardless of rules) or they just are doing a background check (which is ridiculous for people who have already made it to that type of echelon in the coaching hierarchy)

Its a moot point either way--And damn sure not worth arguing over.

I'm withholding judgment on whether it was the right decision to retain Rivera till later in the season.

And honestly, I don't think it reflects badly on us unless we leaked it, which I have a hard time buying into.

I think it's pretty obvious the leaker is the "1 candidate [that] knows"

i mean i guess you can call it an "accusation" but i just call it how i see(read) it.

Meh, I am fully aware I view things different than what a "average" fan. Most fans IMO are more loyal to players than I am.

I just think perspective matters, like RR....I have been more positive toward him than most. My "negativity" is largely pieces I think that make it harder on him. But collectively the fanbase is negative on RR....therefore that isn considered negative but the norm.

I merely am in his corner....I think to win a FO has to put that first and I think with both GM situations he has had.....deck has been against him

But Rivera's not lame duck. He has a legitimate chance to stay if he can step up to the plate and turn this team into a winner. If not, then he hasn't earned the right to stay. But to say he is lame duck would imply that he is gone no matter what, and I don't think that is the case at all.

What the Panthers are doing is pretty standard for teams with coaches on their last chance.

He isn't a lame duck in the sense Fox was.....

he was a coach that has very limited chance to retain his job and a FO that didn't hire nor was all in on him

But Rivera's not lame duck.  He has a legitimate chance to stay if he can step up to the plate and turn this team into a winner.  If not, then he hasn't earned the right to stay.  But to say he is lame duck would imply that he is gone no matter what, and I don't think that is the case at all.

What the Panthers are doing is pretty standard for teams with coaches on their last chance.

Hard to say without knowing what our owner is thinking. But at this point it's looking more and more like lame duck though.

Information like this getting out so early in the season after a blowout win doesn't exactly instill confidence in Rivera.

Meh, I am fully aware I view things different than what a "average" fan. Most fans IMO are more loyal to players than I am.

I just think perspective matters, like RR....I have been more positive toward him than most. My "negativity" is largely pieces I think that make it harder on him. But collectively the fanbase is negative on RR....therefore that isn considered negative but the norm.

I merely am in his corner....I think to win a FO has to put that first and I think with both GM situations he has had.....deck has been against him

shotty coaching decisions like most recently the Bills is the biggest reason why he has the deck against him.

Personnel has been atrocious in the past but he has made some incrediblly idiotic decisions late in games. And the record proves that.

You can only blame the players for so long

• Pie 1

This is always like Peyton Place with this team.Just go the hell out there and win the damn game. Doesnt matter about Beason or RR on the hot seat in the big picture. They are big boys and should have the mental and emotional fortitude to kick ass when the bell rings.Leave all the excuses in the locker room guys,cause if not then most of you will be down the road with RR next year. So do your damn jobs.