• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Serious question: Is it time to move on from Smith?

Rags

And who was covering him in the Giants (3-40) and Buffalo(5-52)? He hasn't really shown up much at all this season.

He is old

He pretty much is a possession WR now

We still treat him like he is a #1 stud....he struggles in that role and force balls to a guy not beating good CBs

That said, he has one good game and this board will do a 180 on him and think he is still good enough for the role we have him in

I think some on here joked that Smitty was pissed when DeAngelo caught a TD and he didn't. Some even claimed that Smitty said something to DeAngelo was wasn't very supportive.

Fast-forward two weeks later, after such a fantastic game where Cam was throwing to every Receiver and Ginn and DeAngelo were getting much media love, Cam starts forcing balls to Smitty despite him not being open as if he's the only one on the team.  The previous two games, when Cam was doing the same thing, many blamed Cam and felt he wasn't comfortable with playing with the other Receivers. Yet, he turned around in the game against the Gaints and showed that such was not the case.

I remember reading a while back, how Smitty use to bully and berate Clausen when he didn't give him the ball. I doubt he's doing the same with Cam but I do believe that he is creating a negative culture in the locker-room if he's bitching about not getting the ball enough. Which then forces Cam, who isn't a Vet as yet, to look out for him. Remember most of the palyers, including Cam a juniors to Smitty and he knows it. I am also sure the endless media attention DeAngelo was getting didn't help either.

Plus Smitty knows, when it comes to Cam, many want to see him fail, so they will blame any and every team mistake on him before they will look else where and even worst blame the much beloved Receiver.

But, I did say this last season, there seems to be something wrong with the culture of this team and I asked where are the Vets and wondered if maybe the problem was one of the Vets who cannot stand any one of the younger receivers doing better than him.

Move him off the roster?  No.

Get a new number one?  maybe.

The question is, will he be humble enough to take a back seat to a younger receiver taking over his spot? Will he guide and nurture the young receiver or will he undermine him.

IMO, Smitty, should be nurturing the new crops of receivers on this team. I think many of you want to believe he is but something tells me, he still see himself quite capable and isn't ready to give up his number one slot to anyone.

Hence you have Cam throwing to him and he's dropping or having balls Intercepted. IMO, when the Team's mindset it that the QB works for the Receivers and not the other way around like those top winning teams, then u are going to continue seeing the problem this team is having.

Can u imagine, those receivers telling Peyton, Brady or even Luck, what they want them to do with the ball? It's one thing for them to ask to receive the ball but not demand it.

Lafell had some nice plays and he had some boneheaded ones... he'll do that to you, he's not a #1 but is a solid receiver.

Smitty is a great receiver, and I'm glad he eats up the other team's #1 CB on most plays, but he really isn't doing quite what he used to.

Still, if his vocals are why Cam is forcing the ball to him, this is an issue that Cam and the coaching staff NEED to address.  There's no excuse for the way Cam played today, and just because Smitty wants the ball, doesn't mean smitty NEEDS the ball.

Can u imagine, those receivers telling Peyton, Brady or even Luck, what they want them to do with the ball? It's one thing for them to ask to receive the ball but not demand it.

Smith would have no problems telling any of them what to do with the ball. 

Archived