• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mitchell has been fined 5 times this year

Floppin

i would challenge the definition of the word "pussification" so that it does not include due diligence by the league in removing playing style that severely impacts the long-term health of its employees

They're going to create another problem.  You're going to start seeing DBs adapt to these rules and start taking out WRs' knees.  If flags keep flying on good, clean legal hits to the chest area, DBs are going to have no choice to target even lower and that's going to lead to knees getting taken out.  We saw it earlier this season when that GB WR got his leg broken.  He caught a pass over the middle and you could see the DB prepare to pop him in the chest, but he thought better of it and took out the guy's knees.  Aaron Rodgers confronted him and then spoke about it after the game and said the DB told him that he simply couldn't risk a flag, he had to hit him low and take out his legs.  Rodgers admitted he could kind of see that perspective.

Throw the flags as the rules state.  Don't throw flags on good, clean hits just because they were hard.

They're going to create another problem.  You're going to start seeing DBs adapt to these rules and start taking out WRs' knees.  If flags keep flying on good, clean legal hits to the chest area, DBs are going to have no choice to target even lower and that's going to lead to knees getting taken out.  We saw it earlier this season when that GB WR got his leg broken.  He caught a pass over the middle and you could see the DB prepare to pop him in the chest, but he thought better of it and took out the guy's knees.  Aaron Rodgers confronted him and then spoke about it after the game and said the DB told him that he simply couldn't risk a flag, he had to hit him low and take out his legs.  Rodgers admitted he could kind of see that perspective.

Throw the flags as the rules state.  Don't throw flags on good, clean hits just because they were hard.

i think the emphasis has been on protecting the head (as it should be) as opposed to extremities. sore joints post-career are one thing, rattled brain and concussion issues are another entirely. the rule changes we've seen have largely been a means to the end of accomplishing this goal.

i do agree hits shouldn't be flagged for simply being hard.

No doubt this guy pushes the envelope, but so far, it's easily been worth it.  In the preseason, even Luke got called for a HARD clean hit and we were all worried about a fine.  Speaking of Luke, in the recent Sound Fx video, IIRC I'm pretty sure it was Mitchell he has to calm down at one point, so yes, it  is something to keep a close eye on.

i think the emphasis has been on protecting the head (as it should be) as opposed to extremities. sore joints post-career are one thing, rattled brain and concussion issues are another entirely. the rule changes we've seen have largely been a means to the end of accomplishing this goal.

i do agree hits shouldn't be flagged for simply being hard.

I agree with you.  The NFL does need to protect the head and they're changing to do that.  However, the issue is when you're not officiating the game consistently.  Why is it only WRs and QBs who matter?  Just look at that block Smitty threw on Greenway a couple of weeks ago.  We all love it.  It was great.  However, flip it the other way around and have Greenway ear hole Smitty like that after a catch and flags would've flown from everywhere and Greenway would be villified as a dirty player.  Not fair.  Greenway was every bit as defenseless while focusing on pursuing the ball carrier as a WR is defenseless while focusing on the ball trying to make a catch. 

Why do legal hits get flagged simply because they're hard?  If they stop throwing flags on good, legal hits to the chest, we won't have the issue of DBs taking out knees, but if they continue to throw those flags it's going to become a problem.

That taunting fine was weak. To me the intent wasn't there. He was celebrating a positive play for his team and the Rams reaction drew the fine.

Same with Cam and the mask clips. He was targeted by a disgruntled Giants fan in the media and the NFL stuck it to him while looking past everyone else.

Steve got fined for hitting JJ in the head but it looked like a normal NFL play to me, it's called run blocking.

Archived