• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mitchell has been fined 5 times this year

Floppin

Why would Goodell care to target Mike Mitchell?  In the grand scheme of things, he is quite irrelevant.

At least in the case of Suh, he was a highly touted player coming out of college and is talked about in the media a good amount.  Nobody talks about Mitchell.  Mitchell is routinely fined because he plays like a lunatic, which I enjoy, and not because Goodell has a vendetta against him.

Mitchell is this years Shockey

hate him anywhere else he is, but now that he's on our team, i wouldn't have him play any other way

he plays on that very fine line between clean and dirty.  imo he's stayed on the clean side more than not this season, but when you have a reputation, some people can and will only see it and only call out what points back to that reputation.  great play be damned

Why?  The game has changed tremendously in the last decade.  There's a reason why you're seeing ridiculous passing and receiving stats being put up.  QBs and WRs are becoming virtually untouchable.

the game has always evolved. it's not "pussified" it's just different

the game has always evolved. it's not "pussified" it's just different

How would you describe it then?

If the rules were applied as written, I wouldn't have a problem.  However, that's not what is happening.  If there's a big hit on a QB or WR, flags fly whether the hit was technically legal or not.  Remember Hardy blasting Carson Palmer and getting flagged?  Even Palmer said that hit was perfectly legal.  And every Sunday we see a couple of flags where a DB hits a WR hard in the chest, no contact even close to the head, but flags fly because the pads pop.  That's pussification, not evolution.  The NFL has essentially outlawed big hits, but they can't figure out a way to write that into the rulebook. 

How would you describe it then?

If the rules were applied as written, I wouldn't have a problem.  However, that's not what is happening.  If there's a big hit on a QB or WR, flags fly whether the hit was technically legal or not.  Remember Hardy blasting Carson Palmer and getting flagged?  Even Palmer said that hit was perfectly legal.  And every Sunday we see a couple of flags where a DB hits a WR hard in the chest, no contact even close to the head, but flags fly because the pads pop.  That's pussification, not evolution.  The NFL has essentially outlawed big hits, but they can't figure out a way to write that into the rulebook. 

i would challenge the definition of the word "pussification" so that it does not include due diligence by the league in removing playing style that severely impacts the long-term health of its employees

i would challenge the definition of the word "pussification" so that it does not include due diligence by the league in removing playing style that severely impacts the long-term health of its employees

If the above statement were applied uniformly to all players on the field, then you might have a point.  I wouldn't agree with it, but you might have one. 

Archived