• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will these last three games make Newton a bunch of money?

PantherAZ

Lol

Nah - good "rookie contract" QBs get locked up quickly. Always have and always will and we would be a dumb team to be the first to play the franchise game with a QB. It doesn't happen. (Brees doesn't count)

This isn't Madden. We will be falling over ourselves to get Cam a new contract

It's pretty much us and the Bengals in this new CBA. It'll be interesting from a QB perspective to see how much Dalton demands and if he'll get his extension this offseason. Mind all of you, I'm not comparing Cam to Dalton in terms of QB skill, but in terms of rookie contract. I know Red Rocket was a 2nd rd pick too, which makes the QB rookie contract comparison even more silly...(but I'm not going to consider Gabbert, Locker or what's his face in Minny). What the Bengals do with AJ, and the cards do with PP will be intriguing as well.

This is the reason why Cam will never get the money he deserves. Way to much false media framing of how he's actually performing and way to many blind prejudices and bais thinking for any real level of objective thinking to seep into the picture as far as Cam is concern.

Also, when you say Cam is "inconsistent" are you comparing him as a player or the team as a whole? When Cam has no consistent WRs or RBs to give the ball to week in and on, then inconsistency is expected. I think some of you seriously believe that Cam is responsible for making all the other positions on the team shine; instead of like it is with the QBs like Brees, Peyton, Luck, and Tom, where the players around them are suppose to play damn well to help them shine.

Cam needs weapons for sure. How many times ave I harped about this.  As for "consistency", anyone who is half-way objective (which I believe that I am, especially considering that most of my family considers me a blind Cam Homer), don't have to look too hard to see the overthrows that Cam has. Hell, he missed Olson badly last game. Brady, Brees, Manning, and Flacco would have put that one right on the money. And, don't tell me that it's not fair to compare him to the top paid guys, because that's what we're talking about: money. Cam's game has not risen to that level. Hell, Flacco's game hasn't risen to the level of his insane contract.  Anyway, getting back to Cam, the reason that he misses so many open receivers can be almost solely attributed to inconsistent mechanics (originating from bad footwork). Now of course he gets hyped, or has to run for his life on occasion, which tends to lead to some errant throws, but anyone that has been watching Cam and being honest knows that he gets a little flighty with his mechanics unnecessarily at times. While Newton needs to continue to work on his mechanics, I am largely happy with his improvement in making reads and overall decision making. Man, has he gotten exponentially better at protecting the ball and getting it to the obviously open guy. Where Cam also just naturally excels is running the ball which has to be taken into account during contract time. 

Lastly, there is something to be said about the QB making everyone else better. It's not like Brady, Brees or Flacco have had all-star talent around them during their entire careers, but yet and still they have been in the post-season mix more times than not. That being said, we need an upgrade in talent at some offensive skill positions to help Cam erase any doubts that he should get paid like one of the top QBs in the league. Unfortunately, I just don't see it at this point. We can't bankrupt the team's future under any circumstances, or even get close to that point if you have a QB that can't win games by himself (which no one can).  $20 mil a year is just pushing the envelope If you are serious about keeping quality players to surround your franchise QB.

A lot depends on how far we go in the playoffs

Not really.   Given that we've given Cam nothing to really work with on offense.     Oline is slacking,   WRs are lacking,  and the running game ,  without Cam actually running the ball,  is not something you can look at with pride. 

Basically saying "Okay,  Cam,  we're hoping that you don't call our bluff,  but,  if you can't get this rag tag offense moving,  and go deep into the playoffs,  we're not going to pay you."  Maybe we'll go after Alex Smith afterward,   He's just a "winner" lately. 

Not really.   Given that we've given Cam nothing to really work with on offense.     Oline is slacking,   WRs are lacking,  and the running game ,  without Cam actually running the ball,  is not something you can look at with pride. 

Basically saying "Okay,  Cam,  we're hoping that you don't call our bluff,  but,  if you can't get this rag tag offense moving,  and go deep into the playoffs,  we're not going to pay you."  Maybe we'll go after Alex Smith afterward,   He's just a "winner" lately. 

The question is why have we done so little on that side of the ball. Cam is the only offensive draft pick since he was drafted that plays on sunday. Think about that.

I feel Cam will get no less than a 4 year extension, worth at least $ 62 Million with bonuses and incentives added.

There is a bright side,even if I am way off in my estimation we still have  ample time to worry about Newton's extension. Between the five-year rookie contract (with fifth year option), and two potential franchise tags -- the earliest the Panthers would need to get a deal done is following the 2015 season, and even then they could keep him through 2017 with tags.

Any fears of Cam leaving are premature, and don't have much basis in reality. It's rare to see players leave teams of their own choice in the NFL when fair contracts are on the table, especially quarterbacks

If we don't pay Cam, somebody else will.  I guarantee that if he becomes a free agent (an angry one pissed of about the 5th year option/franchising) there will be a 'Battle Royale' style bidding war for his services.  GMs on certain teams will be hiring hiring ninja assassins and poo.  The big market teams that will need a QB around that time (hint: Dallas) are the most worrisome part of that scenario.

Lol

Nah - good "rookie contract" QBs get locked up quickly. Always have and always will and we would be a dumb team to be the first to play the franchise game with a QB. It doesn't happen. (Brees doesn't count)

This isn't Madden. We will be falling over ourselves to get Cam a new contract

you're the one playing madden.

Wanting to throw.money that isn't yours at a player for no reason other than ya think ya should.

That's not how to run a team.

Cam us the first qb contract under the new/current CBA. You have no idea what's gonna happen.

The team is holding all the cards right now.

we'll lock him up. Just no reason to do this offseason.

There are lots of reasons to do it this off season.

1). We lock him up

2). He will improve so his value may be lower than next off season

3). Waiting until next year will give Luck and Wilson an opportunity to balloon the market even more with their extensions due.

This off season we can get the extension done for likely cheaper than next year.

Archived