• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Steve Smith has a torn PCL

also if Steve is out, do we move someone up from the PS, bring someone in off the street?

In the words of Gettlemagic... "the answer is already on the roster," if that is the case. McNutt and King are already on the active roster, they just haven't been active on Game day.

yep but like you, I just dont see how the fug he couldve "popped" it completely without tearing anything else. . . especially on the play in question

Hearing a pop from your knee is really bad and like I said the PCL is hard to injure. A PCL tear is usually called a dashboard because it's typically injured in car wrecks. 

Since he says he heard a pop, I'd say it's likely a partial/fully torn ACL and PCL tear. Generally a pop in the knee represents a tear of some sort and with the PCL being so hard to tear, it's unlikely he tore just the PCL. Which unfortunately means either the ACL or MCL got damaged along with the PCL in some sort of fashion.  

Edit: What makes me think it was the ACL is the fact that he didn't fall down on the knee and wasn't touched when he injured his knee, which likely represents an ACL injury combined with the popping sound. 

King has potential. Hixon showed yesterday that he could be reliable. We know how good Lafell, Ginn, and Olsen are. It would definitely suck but I think that we can still win against the Falcons and in the playoffs without Smitty. But we have a lot better chance with him then without him.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Hearing a pop from your knee is really bad and like I said the PCL is hard to injure. A PCL tear is usually called a dashboard because it's typically injured in car wrecks. 

Since he says he heard a pop, I'd say it's likely partial/fully torn ACL and PCL tear. Generally a pop in the knee represents a tear of some sort and with the PCL being so hard to tear, it's unlikely he tore just the PCL.

hopefully the ligament was just caught on some other tissue and "popped" back in place. I doubt that is the case if he was feeling pain though. . . which you havnt mentioned yet. That is probably a better indicator than hearing something.

hopefully the ligament was just caught on some other tissue and "popped" back in place. I doubt that is the case if he was feeling pain though. . . which you havnt mentioned yet. That is probably a better indicator than hearing something.

He didn't look good when he went back out and looked to be in a lot of pain when he fell originally, the fact he's really down on his injury likely means he knows it's serious. 

The question becomes does Smitty want to come back next season if it's as bad as it looked considering his age. 

He didn't look good when he went back out and looked to be in a lot of pain when he fell originally, the fact he's really down on his injury likely means he knows it's serious. 

The question becomes does Smitty want to come back next season if it's as bad as it looked considering his age. 

Well in the grand scheme of things a PCL tear isnt something that saps the leg's strength as much as an achilles tear does. Its not a good thing, but its not that bad either.

and yea, the only time Ive ever even seen a PCL tear in person was when a guy jumped 3 feet in the air and came down with his left leg completely straight. BAM hyper extended, blew PCL and the ACL, crushed the joint and cartilage. That was one of the nastiest injuries Ive ever witnessed on field.

On the one hand, it sucks because Smitty is such a great player and makes so many plays. 

On the other, it opens up an opportunity for us to see who we really have besides Smitty. Who is gonna step up? Is Hixon gonna show out next week and show that he has earned his spot here for good? Maybe another WR?

I want to see Smitty on the field in the playoffs. It will suck if that deep ball in the 1st quarter is the last great Smitty moment we have this season. But, if he is done, I think the team rallies around that and guys step up big time.

Well in the grand scheme of things a PCL tear isnt something that saps the leg's strength as much as an achilles tear does. Its not a good thing, but its not that bad either.

and yea, the only time Ive ever even seen a PCL tear in person was when a guy jumped 3 feet in the air and came down with his left leg completely straight. BAM hyper extended, blew PCL and the ACL, crushed the joint and cartilage. That was one of the nastiest injuries Ive ever witnessed on field.

The reason I asked the question does he want to come back is because if it's an ACL/PCL or MCL/PCL grade 3 sprain then he's done for 6-12 months. Considering his age, it's likely closer to 8-10 months at best probably which means he wouldn't be ready for the start of next season. He could be back in June/July but that's kinda pushing it, more likely he'd be back in August/September at the earliest with a possibility of missing the whole season and being 36 attempting a comeback. 

The reason I say he could miss the whole season is I don't think the team would keep open a roster spot if he didn't make it back by say late October/Early November. 

Archived