• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Gregory is being released.

Ruff

What's up with Panthers fans wanting to settle for mediocrity?

This pesky thing called the salary cap means that you can't have an All-Pro at every position.

Though that same pesky salary cap means that a small market team can actually compete with the big market teams on a level playing field year in and year out.  That's why I love it.

I think the Panthers will probably just roll with Robert Lester at SS and hopefully re-sign Mitchell at FS.  For many reasons they should and will probably cut Godfrey so I'd anticipate them signing a FA like Gregory or maybe even bringing Mikell back if he's cheap.  Honestly though Mikell didn't play all that great, especially at the end of the year.  Two plays stick out in my mind - Jimmy Graham jumping over him for a TD in Week 16 (yes I know there's a huge size difference) and him completely whiffing on Kapernick's TD scramble in the playoffs. 

One he's all we can probably afford at this moment in time, two he's an upgrade over mikkel so why not?

This pesky thing called the salary cap means that you can't have an All-Pro at every position.

Though that same pesky salary cap means that a small market team can actually compete with the big market teams on a level playing field year in and year out.  That's why I love it.

Why force yourself to make a dumb move when you can just make Godfrey take a paycut? Still has Lester for depth.

I am not sold on Lester yet.  About "settling for mediocrity"--you really have to find role players. However, if you are not going to bring in good CBs, you need some good, smart Safeties.  Maybe this guy is that.  We need another SS anyway.  If Lester beats him out, great.

I think the Panthers will probably just roll with Robert Lester at SS and hopefully re-sign Mitchell at FS.  For many reasons they should and will probably cut Godfrey so I'd anticipate them signing a FA like Gregory or maybe even bringing Mikell back if he's cheap.  Honestly though Mikell didn't play all that great, especially at the end of the year.  Two plays stick out in my mind - Jimmy Graham jumping over him for a TD in Week 16 (yes I know there's a huge size difference) and him completely whiffing on Kapernick's TD scramble in the playoffs. 

Re-signing Mitchell---I am hopeful, but skeptical.  I think this is a pretty sound assessment of the situation.

Archived