• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Gregory is being released.

Ruff

gregory >>>> godfrey.....and a lot cheaper.

gregory is a good SS. not great, but good and he would help make this defense better on the back end. he's really good against the run. he's good at reading the QBs eyes and disrupting plays. he's got a good motor. and he's great on special teams.

he's just plain solid all the way around.

Why force yourself to make a dumb move when you can just make Godfrey take a paycut? Still has Lester for depth.

Have you seen Godfrey play?  He's awful and he's certainly not going to get any better after blowing out his Achilles.  I have no idea why Hurney gave him all that money.  Everyone focuses on DeAngelo and J. Stew, but Godfrey's contract was one of the worst he handed out. 

Agree, on FB MM didn't mention anything about talks with the Panthers in his congratulatory post for Gano, despite the fan input.

Interesting.  It is also interesting that there were people critical of signing Mitchell  last year--called him a bust in Oakland. 

Mitchell came into a good situation, following Nakamura and Sherrod Martin.  Hard to look bad. While I love his fire, he has some weaknesses that were lost in the winning a bit.

Interesting.  It is also interesting that there were people critical of signing Mitchell  last year--called him a bust in Oakland. 

Mitchell came into a good situation, following Nakamura and Sherrod Martin.  Hard to look bad. While I love his fire, he has some weaknesses that were lost in the winning a bit.

Could be one of those situations where he and his agent are overestimating his value and G-man may be willing to let them test the market banking on his estimations being closer to the reality of the situation than there's.  It's good for us that the team that has the most salary cap to play with is the same team where MM was labeled a bust.  Pretty much takes them out of the running.

who is this guy?

He is a solid SS from Syracuse (I think).  He is 31, had almost 80 tackles in 11 starts over 14 games last season for New England.  He actually had one of his best seasons.  I would love the pick, especially if it means cutting Godfrey.

Have you seen Godfrey play?  He's awful and he's certainly not going to get any better after blowing out his Achilles.  I have no idea why Hurney gave him all that money.  Everyone focuses on DeAngelo and J. Stew, but Godfrey's contract was one of the worst he handed out. 

I do not like Godfrey a bit too, but I'm not sure Gregory is much of an upgrade. Unless, he's just that cheap.

I do not like Godfrey a bit too, but I'm not sure Gregory is much of an upgrade. Unless, he's just that cheap.

He can't be much worse than Godfrey.  Godfrey is a truly terrible safety.  He was constantly out of position but luckily had good speed and could often make up for his terrible positioning.  I doubt he has that same speed coming off of a blown Achilles.  Without his speed and range, I doubt he'll be in the league for long.

Could be one of those situations where he and his agent are overestimating his value and G-man may be willing to let them test the market banking on his estimations being closer to the reality of the situation than there's.  It's good for us that the team that has the most salary cap to play with is the same team where MM was labeled a bust.  Pretty much takes them out of the running.

I feel that way too. I have heard nothing about him, and I was a bit surprised that he seems to be treating Munnerlyn the same way--again. Maybe this is his philosophy--he is going to find value by letting the market drop the price--at least for average talent.  Mitchell was a breath of fresh air and I loved him, but from a GM's eyes--he was probably average.

gregory >>>> godfrey.....and a lot cheaper.

gregory is a good SS. not great, but good and he would help make this defense better on the back end. he's really good against the run. he's good at reading the QBs eyes and disrupting plays. he's got a good motor. and he's great on special teams.

he's just plain solid all the way around.

Cut by the Patriots for cap reasons. 31 years old with 79 tackles and 3 defended passes in 14 games last season. he started 11 games for the Patriots

What's up with Panthers fans wanting to settle for mediocrity?

You can't have a Cam Newton at every spot.

You also can't afford to have Fua's on the roleplayer spots. Dude is a legit S.....much better than a healthy Godfrey

Archived