• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Franchise tag it is

SCP

I'm all in. Obviously we wanted him at a smaller number and more years but he really is a cornerstone piece of our team.

I know there's a lot of hand wringing in. Panther Nation....and rightfully so....but for the first time in years I'm extremely confident that our free agency and draft will ultimately be a success.

Think about it.  We can handle the tag amount by restructuring a few contracts and it allows us to see if Hardy can do it again.  He again remains in a contract year meaning we get maximum effort and we have no guarantee money going forward.

He gets to see what he is worth and we can match it or get two 1s in return unless we want to agree for less compensation.  If we get 2 1s, then see you Hardy it was real.  He can talk to other teams but unless they are willing to part with the picks, if they make an offer all we have to do is not match it. He has already said he will play for the tag so we don't risk him not signing it and we can trade him to anyone if we decide to take less compensation.  The problem would have been if we were crippled by the tag like we were with Peppers and that won't be the case.  It is a no lose situation for us.

We can always lift it or trade him or sign a longterm deal. This doesn't confirm anything. All it does is keep all options intact. 

It confirms he won't be walking in free agency which seemed like a very real possibility with our cap situation. So yes, this is big news. I don't see why the tag would be lifted.

Archived