• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What would you consider a successful FA period?

charlottenian

At this point I really believe they are depending on the draft, I dont see many circumstances of us having a better roster than 2013 but we will be younger.

-sign hardy long term and backload contract

-long term deal for cam

-resign munnerlyn, Wharton, ginn

-restructure or cut godfrey(already lost mitchell)

-sign cheap vet wr (maybe britt to prove himself... I think nicks and decker will want top tier $$)

-sign one cheap vet DB

Draft:

-2 wr

-1 OT

-2 DB

-1 lb

Same plan as last year, wait out FA and swoop like a vulture on the scraps. Drafting has been above average the past 2 seasons so ill give them benifet of the doubt they get at least 1ot 1wr and 1cb in the early rounds.

A successful FA period is one that sets us up to be able to take BPA in the draft and not have to reach on a need. Our chances of achieving a complete success are slim but I think we can get a minor victory. We'd need to get a starting LT, a serviceable CB and a starting quality WR (no Legatrons who only start due to lack of options). It's gonna be tough, but doable.

I've been thinking about what a "good" FA period for us would look like prior to the draft.  So I looked at this list of available FAs, and I'm going to say that these guys will not  be signing mega deals at all.  These will be more 1 year, value deals.  

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/45947/309/2014-nfl-free-agents

Oh, and a side note:  I think the draft had an effect on the FA numbers.  Notice how many WRs hit the bank?  Interestingly, there were a lot of linemen locked up to big time deals when we have a deep OL draft... Or really how deep is it?  Hrm...

So for us:

1. OT - Someone like a Michael Oher because he has the physical ability and a possible coaching change may do him wonders.  Other guys with names who are OL:
  2. OT - Charles Brown (former Saint who didn't play terribly but was benched for rookie who gave up 4 sacks to Hardy)
  3. OT -Mike Otto (OK, just pulling a FA name to be honest).  The rest is very dry, but then again I'm not a talent scout.
  4. CB - Tillman (smoke to fire???)
  5. CB - Captain (find someone willing to give you more than $1 million and they are yours!)
  6. S - Chris Clemons (someone might overpay
  7. S - Major Wright (1 year show me deal a la mitchell)
  8. S - Steve Gregory (someone was trumping him after his release).
  9. WR - Nicks?  Why not right?  Match made in heaven on a 1 year prove it.  After two crappy years, he's got some image rehab to do.  
  10. WR - Sidney Rice - Hey, same deal as Nicks.  
  11. WR - LaFell - c'mon!  He's cheap, and while he wasn't a world beater, he wasn't a scrub,
  12. WR - Kinny Britt - hey, why not another rehab guy!?  
  13. WR/KR - Jacoby Ford - Shorter Ginn?  
  14. WR/KR - Teddy Ginn - might get something worked out as we were the first team since Miami to allow him to actually play WR.

Those are just some crazy ideas I pulled out of thin air.  But I don't see any budget breakers.  The only place where I have real concern is the OT.  Which makes me think that we're either 1.  Starting a Rookie, 2.  Going to find a way to maximize a lesser player with scheme.

Is say that if we can draft 3 players who can start in game 1 at OL, CB and WR we had a successful draft.

As far as Free agency goes, I really like Ginn as a return guy but don't think he is worth much more than what he made this season...certainly not 5x as much, like Mitchell. So signing a KR guy as effective as Ginn will work for me and there is bound to be some guy out there with that kind of speed and maybe Ben better hands, because Ginn scared me with some drops that he somehow gathered without turning it over, so I'm pretty confident he can be replaced with a similar contract then what he received last year.

If we can re-sign Wharton or find an equal OL in FA, I will be pleased. I think we draft a starter at a guard position and at worst still have Bell for RT, who I think improved as the year progressed. We have Kalil, Kugbila, and Silatolu already but think at least one of those guard positions should be upgraded before the season starts. Just need some depth and an upgrade or two.

If we let Steve go, which I think is the correct thing to do, as playing him pat June 1st will kick in an incredible amount of cap $ that will really hurt our chances of signing Luke and star to long-terms, we have to get a #1 wideout. I don't know how we pull that off without Smitty, but I'm hoping that Benjamin, Matthews or Moncrief are drafted and that they can be that #1 that we can count on for the future.

We need an experienced safety and I know we can find that in a Mitchell-like player at a Mitchell-like contract. There are lots of safeties out there playing behind more talented starters who can still get the job done behind our front-7. So signing a guy is key here and we have to get rid of Godfrey's contract, because without that money, it's gonna be a pinch to get all these contracts signed under cap.

We need to either draft or sign a backup QB. Tahj Boyd, Connor shaw, bryn renner, Derek Anderson would be great if he did another vet-min.

FA signings already...Dockery, Hardy and Bell is a great start. Our big splash came from within our roster and that's what I love to see...Panther-raised badasses!!!

Yep...that's about all I can think of right now.

I would like some proven linemen, I would like Thomas decoud, and Patrick Chung, I would also like to see a corner or 3 come in the cheap, and compete. I think the draft needs to go best player available looking hard at WR OT and DB.

Sent from my C811 4G using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Unfortunately, I expect more of the same from Gettleman. Honestly, we all know Hurney put the team in its current position with the horrible contracts, but I feel (and I'm sure I'll feel the wrath for this) that keeping Hardy was a mistake with the amount of holes this team has. Granted you can't replace the personality of the Kraken, but you could match production. As it stands right now, Panthers are paying Hardy $5M more this year than the top contract signed yesterday by a DE

Anyways - this is how I expect Gettleman to work..

1) Sign a OT on a 1 or 2 year deal - Tyson Clabo makes sense since Gettleman will get a margin after the year Clabo had.

2) Sign 2 WR - Nicks is ideal and I think it happens. One of Ginn, Jones, or Hester will be signed as a #3/4 or I can see them going with Holliday just as a returner. I wouldn't be surprised if they considered Lance Moore, James Jones, or even Miles Austin.

3) Sign a 2 CB - I think Munnerlyn is resigned, and Gettleman brings in former Giant Aaron Ross or Corey Webster

4) Sign a SS - James Ihedigbo

Kraken deserves every bit if that money too. He got paid like 3 mil last season and that should be taken into consideration.

He hasn't slacked of on a play since he got here and brings the right type of energy without taking penalties.

He's only 25 trimming years old and will be getting 15+ sacks every year for the next 8 seasons as long as he stays healthy, making the pro bowl or all-pro team every one of those years. HOF lock of he does that and you'll be kicking yourself in the teeth every time we have to play against him. Just hearing the name "kraken"' will make you sick to your stomachs and every other fan base in the NFL will turn the phrase "release the Kraken" into a running joke about our franchise and fan base.

I ain't down with that. Sorry.

I've been thinking about what a "good" FA period for us would look like prior to the draft. So I looked at this list of available FAs, and I'm going to say that these guys will not be signing mega deals at all. These will be more 1 year, value deals.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/45947/309/2014-nfl-free-agents

Oh, and a side note: I think the draft had an effect on the FA numbers. Notice how many WRs hit the bank? Interestingly, there were a lot of linemen locked up to big time deals when we have a deep OL draft... Or really how deep is it? Hrm...

So for us:

• OT - Someone like a Michael Oher because he has the physical ability and a possible coaching change may do him wonders. Other guys with names who are OL:
  • OT - Charles Brown (former Saint who didn't play terribly but was benched for rookie who gave up 4 sacks to Hardy)
  • OT -Mike Otto (OK, just pulling a FA name to be honest). The rest is very dry, but then again I'm not a talent scout.
  • CB - Tillman (smoke to fire???)
  • CB - Captain (find someone willing to give you more than $1 million and they are yours!)
  • S - Chris Clemons (someone might overpay
  • S - Major Wright (1 year show me deal a la mitchell)
  • S - Steve Gregory (someone was trumping him after his release).
  • WR - Nicks? Why not right? Match made in heaven on a 1 year prove it. After two crappy years, he's got some image rehab to do.
  • WR - Sidney Rice - Hey, same deal as Nicks.
  • WR - LaFell - c'mon! He's cheap, and while he wasn't a world beater, he wasn't a scrub,
  • WR - Kinny Britt - hey, why not another rehab guy!?
  • WR/KR - Jacoby Ford - Shorter Ginn?
  • WR/KR - Teddy Ginn - might get something worked out as we were the first team since Miami to allow him to actually play WR.
Those are just some crazy ideas I pulled out of thin air. But I don't see any budget breakers. The only place where I have real concern is the OT. Which makes me think that we're either 1. Starting a Rookie, 2. Going to find a way to maximize a lesser player with scheme.

Some of those signings would be nice, decent list

Kraken deserves every bit if that money too. He got paid like 3 mil last season and that should be taken into consideration.

He hasn't slacked of on a play since he got here and brings the right type of energy without taking penalties.

He's only 25 trimming years old and will be getting 15+ sacks every year for the next 8 seasons as long as he stays healthy, making the pro bowl or all-pro team every one of those years. HOF lock of he does that and you'll be kicking yourself in the teeth every time we have to play against him. Just hearing the name "kraken"' will make you sick to your stomachs and every other fan base in the NFL will turn the phrase "release the Kraken" into a running joke about our franchise and fan base.

I ain't down with that. Sorry.

what's up greg hardy.

Archived