• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Josh Norris will be on WFNZ at 910

Ruff

Backup defensive ends actually see the field a lot more than other backup positions.

They come in when the starters need a breather and in obvious passing downs we sometimes kick Hardy inside which gives them another opportunity.

If we drafted Kony he'd have plenty opportunity to see the field, that is if he could beat out Alexander, Addison and Horton, and if he's BPA in the first round he should be able to beat out those 3.

So again getting a backup (when you already have good backups) in the 1st round is a good move??

This is a silly argument against BPA.

Explain to me how is it different? ?

You have just as much money young talent and depth at the DE position as you do at RB, And Dt.

You have young stars at DE just like MLB and QB.

So explain the difference.

Also you don't know what the picture is or what it will look like in the 1st place genius.

What if Horton, Alexander or Addison make a CJ like jump in production this year? They are all young. So you would have drafted a player at a position where you were all ready developing players. Is that smart "big picture" thinking?

This is something the FO will think about. Do they think we have players to make that jump. If we draft a DE early it will be because they don't think so.

how weak is your argument that you have to sit around asking things to be explained to you? being unable to understand/conceptualize alternative points of view is not a strength.

So you can't tell me a difference right?? Lol

This is a silly argument against BPA.

Actually it isn't...we have 2 young stars at DE and young stars at MLB and QB...the RB situation is a money thing...but so is DE...and if we draft a 1st round DE who turns out to be a stud...we'd have to pay him in a few years as well as whoever we keep between Hardy and CJ anyway....so the situation could repeat itself.

CJ was a 3rd rounder and Hardy was a 6th so if we want to develop one of their replacements we should use similar round drafting philosphies such as Alexander when we got him in the 4th round(and traded a 3rd round pick to move back into the 4th to get him)

So if this team is trading picks to pick more DEs in later rounds(like we did with FA0, it doesn't seem to smart to go 1st round DE this year either. I'd be for drafting a 3rd or 4th round DE though....

Drafting a DE first round would be an arrogant move avoiding a pressing need at WR. I'd be all for it in the later rounds but not the first, no fuggin way.

You guys can talk about how deep the WR class is all day. Every year they say position is deep and come draft day all that talent is taken up in the first few rounds. We can't afford to do that BS.

Actually it isn't...we have 2 young stars at DE and young stars at MLB and QB...the RB situation is a money thing...but so is DE...and if we draft a 1st round DE who turns out to be a stud...we'd have to pay him in a few years as well as whoever we keep between Hardy and CJ anyway....so the situation could repeat itself.

CJ was a 3rd rounder and Hardy was a 6th so if we want to develop one of their replacements we should use similar round drafting philosphies such as Alexander when we got him in the 4th round(and traded a 3rd round pick to move back into the 4th to get him)

So if this team is trading picks to pick more DEs in later rounds(like we did with FA0, it doesn't seem to smart to go 1st round DE this year either. I'd be for drafting a 3rd or 4th round DE though....

Thank you.

Explain to me how is it different? ?

You have just as much money young talent and depth at the DE position as you do at RB, And Dt.

You have young stars at DE just like MLB and QB.

So explain the difference.

Umm the QB, MLB, and DT positions you are talking about, will be locked up long term.  You are missing the point.  No way we can keep both CJ and Hardy.  One will be gone after next year.  Again, we have to plan 5 years down the road.  

Drafting a DE early isn't an arrogant move, it's a long-term move, especially if a stud player is sitting there and is BPA.  OT/WR are huge holes for us to fill, but being short-sighted is what separates the good from the great teams.  I'd prefer a stud OT or #1 WR at 28, but if we come away with a DE/CB/S that slips to 28, and the value is there, I'd take him.  Imagine a DLine this year rotating between CJ, Star, KK, Hardy and Ealy would be gnarly.  Ealy is crazy athletic and a serious threat at getting to the QB.  You could even move any of the DEs inside the way the NYG used to do.  Not my first choice at 28, but if all of the OTs are off the board, and there's a run on WR before our pick, I wouldn't be disappointed.

Archived