• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Okay...about that Oline.

iamhubby1

Kugbila didn't even make training camp with pads on! Who knows what he's gona be, Bond couldn't make the Vikings roster, Williams sucked in ore season then he got injured! Bell sucked at RT, Amini wasn't playing well before his injury in Arizona, only line man with any credibility IMO is Kalil! I'd draft three linemen in first five rounds.

With the exception of center I am not confident that we have a group that can both improve our running game and protect our QB. 

At this point I will have to trust that our FO knows what they are doing and will bring the necessary talent to get the job done though I am a skeptic.

I do not buy the idea of moving Bell to LT nor do I know how to grade Chandler,Bond or Kugzilla. I would have felt better if Wharton was back but being I am not the team owner no one gives a poop what I think. 

I think Cyrus or Moses in the draft will help but I am not comfortable with either as a starting LT this year . 

People keep mentioning Kugbilla but even the Panthers don't know what they have in him because all he has done is rehab. If I'm Gettleman I go OL early and use as many as 3 picks on OL. Play out 2014 with our overpaid RBs and make do with the WRs we have. Beef up the oline this year then find offensive play makers next year.

Rotoworld wrote this today: "The Charlotte Observer projects the current Carolina line as follows: LT Bell, LG Amini Silatolu, C Ryan Kalil, RG Chris Scott, RT Nate Chandler. It's a major problem area for GM Dave Gettleman."

it was based on an article today in the Observer that projects our 2-deep OL as:

LT Bell / To be filled

LG Silatolu / To be filled

C Kalil / Folkerts

RG Scott / Williams

RT Chandler / Williams

Rotoworld wrote this today: "The Charlotte Observer projects the current Carolina line as follows: LT Bell, LG Amini Silatolu, C Ryan Kalil, RG Chris Scott, RT Nate Chandler. It's a major problem area for GM Dave Gettleman."

it was based on an article today in the Observer that projects our 2-deep OL as:

LT Bell / To be filled

LG Silatolu / To be filled

C Kalil / Folkerts

RG Scott / Williams

RT Chandler / Williams

Good lord seeing it in print hurts my eyes. If this ends up being our line, which very well might be the case, we are in some trouble. What happened to Gettleman's "Big men win football games" philosophy?

Good lord seeing it in print hurts my eyes. If this ends up being our line, which very well might be the case, we are in some trouble. What happened to Gettleman's "Big men win football games" philosophy?

Well they are big? But other than that I got nothing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

NBC Sports Pro Football Talk:

"Bell has made 40 starts at right tackle for the Panthers over the last three years and his performance is one of the reasons why the Panthers need to focus on upgrading the offensive line this offseason. It wouldn’t be a surprise if Bell was no longer starting come the regular season."

ESPN:

"No member of the Carolina Panthers 'offensive line took more heat last season than right tackle Byron Bell. He first came under fire last season after Buffalo's Mario Williams had 4.5 sacks from his side in the second game. The heat continued most of the season. Pro Football Focus gave him a season rating of minus-2.8 (the 43rd-ranked offensive tackle in the league last season). To put that in perspective, Gross had a rating of 33.5. That's not the kind of rating a franchise quarterback wants to hear." (Bell's 46 QB pressures allowed were the most of any Panthers offensive lineman last season).

Rotoworld:

"Coach Ron Rivera confirmed at the league meetings that the Panthers are considering shifting Byron Bell to left tackle. 'I don't think it's a bad move if he ends up being our left tackle,' said Rivera.

It's a scary possibility because Bell has been a liability at right tackle, and would face more athletic edge rushers on Cam Newton's blind side. He'd almost certainly be a disaster on Cam Newton's blind side. Bell has been one of the worst starting right tackles in the league over the last two seasons. The Panthers tried him at guard for one game last year, but he was a disappointment. The Panthers' O-Line is a bigger concern than their receiver corps at this point. The Panthers can patch the interior of the line together, but they need two new tackles. Ideally, the Panthers would turn Bell into a swing tackle off the bench after he again struggled badly last season. But in the wake of stalwart left tackle Jordan Gross' retirement -- and with no real in-house options to replace him -- they're going to have a very hard time finding two new starting tackles. Just finding one is hard enough."

note Rivera said this about Bell two years ago (July 2012) after we traded Jeff Otah who Bell had filled in for during most of 2011:

"(Bell) played pretty doggone well last year," Rivera said. "We were one of the top scoring teams in the league last year with him in there at right tackle. We think a year of experience bodes well for him and he'll continue to grow."

Kugbila didn't even make training camp with pads on! Who knows what he's gona be, Bond couldn't make the Vikings roster, Williams sucked in ore season then he got injured! Bell sucked at RT, Amini wasn't playing well before his injury in Arizona, only line man with any credibility IMO is Kalil! I'd draft three linemen in first five rounds.

the sky is falling! the sky is falling!

no... lets not trust people who work in a NFL franchise's front office, especially after the terrible offseason and painful 2013 season the Panthers experienced...

the sky is falling! the sky is falling!

no... lets not trust people who work in a NFL franchise's front office, especially after the terrible offseason and painful 2013 season the Panthers experienced...

Was kugbila not injured? Was bell not garbage? Was amini not playing bad before his injury? Oh that's right they were all valid points I made, so shall we keep these guys on the line or draft replacements? you just don't like a realistic point of view as opposed to a we had a winning season so all is not so bad logic! You can win but fail in areas you know, every team is looking to improve and we should too, the line was horrific but was held up by kalil and gross and wharton! The rest were poor to average! No run game unless you all your qb scrambling for his life and gaining us yardage as a run game! I'm not negative just a realist who thinks the line is the most important need on the whole roster! And when Gettleman drafts three oline men il be satisfied whereas most who want recievers won't be! No good having a star qb and star receivers with the star qb sat flat on his ass.

Archived