• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Talking Punt Returners

Zod

The Panthers need to fill a huge hole left by Ted Ginn in the punt return game. Ginn was the first legitimate threat the Panthers had had in many seasons, replacing him won't be easy.

Yesterday at OTA's the order of punt returners went as follows:

Antoine Cason

Marvin McNutt

Philly Brown

De'Andre Presley

Cason and McNutt got the majority of the punts. The other two fielded at the end of the drill.

Antoine Cason returned punts in San Diego for the last several games of the 2010 season. Then San Diego Defensive Coordinator Ron Rivera must have taken note. This could be Cason's real purpose this season. Cason returned punts in college, running back two for touchdowns. He is the front runner for the spot.

As far as I can tell, McNutt has no punt return experience.

Philly Brown is a promising prospect at punt returner. He could be fast enough and shifty enough to win the job. He also does have experience, including this run back against Wisconsin. I can see him competing with Cason.

De'Andre Presley, who played QB, WR, CB and also returned punts at App State has an outside shot, but will need more snaps to impress. He was last in line to return, and only had a single grab.

Click here to view the article

• Pie 1

Mcnutt seems way to big to be returning punts

My thoughts as well, but 6'2 isn't all that big these days. It does seem to me with King getting more snaps at WR than McNutt the coaching staff may be giving McNutt every opportunity possible to make the team, including PR.

I don't know maybe someone becomes available as teams make roster moves. None of those players are guys I would feel great about. Ginn was pretty damned good on punts when he had the chance. His biggest issue was calling "poison".

I've just always wanted a small guy that could stop, start, and blow by people. Trindon Holliday or a young Steve Smith. I would prefer someone reliable and experienced but those guys cost money.

Losing Ginn is very much a concern but it is telling that Mcnutt may be on the outside of the WR crew if he does not impress as a punt returner.

Id love to see Philly Brown provide that speed sizzle he had in college where Cason seems like a stop gap PR.

I am suprised Kenjon Barner is not in the PR mix and may be a sign he will not stick as a roster spot if he continues to fake a seizure every time he carries the ball.