• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is it time to start worrying about Charles Johnson?

Mage

Ever since Hardy had been gone he has been seeing doubles all game. Both interior lines were exposed this game. Honestly our LBs gamble and they took advantage of that as well this game. Still you are not going to see every RB wait that long and get big gains out of this unit.

I read that too. It was difficult for me to believe because watching the games, I have rarely noticed Johnson. I have seen Kawann Short get into the backfield more than anyone on our defense this year - Short has been phenomenal.

Again, I have always been a fan. Would defend the guy from death from 2010-2013 and I still will - Johnson was beasting long before Greg Hardy became relevant. But he does not look like himself this season. If he doesn't turn it around, we will certainly have to look into figuring out what to do about his contract. We just have too many holes to tie up our money into a player that is no longer worth it.

Of course, I don't really know what we could do about his contract outside of asking him to take a paycut. What are the cap ramifications if we release him?

Thank god we restructured him out of nowhere this year and pushed about 5 million of his salary into the future as dead money. I'd have to look him up but he's solidly in our finances for a few more years whether he plays well or not

That was 2010/2011 it's 2014.

What have you done for me lately? I hate when people bring up the past, the past is the past let it stay in the past! We talking about the current Charles Johnson and right now he is not getting it done point blank.

Excuses want get you far in life. Man up and accept accountability.

My point is that the guy has produced for 4 straight seasons, with and without support along the D-Line. If every player who had 3 bad games (which is all he's had thus far) were immediately cut, a whole lot of great players would be out of jobs. Remember Peppers vanishing for all of 2007? No one is saying the guy gets a pass, but he has definitely earned a 'something must be wrong' at this point.

I was considering making this thread.  He's been virtually invisible all season long.  He and Hardy are combining for about $25M of our cap space and we're getting virtually nothing in return.  That's our biggest issue honestly.  If you look at our top cap hits, we're not getting much ROI.

1. Greg Hardy:  $13.1M - inactive indefinitely

2. Charles Johnson:  $11.2M - underperforming

3. Jon Beason:  $8M in dead money

4. Greg Olsen:  $7.8M - yay!  getting out money's worth!

5. Ryan Kalil:  $7.2M - tough to judge individually, but the unit as a whole certainly sucks

6. Cam Newton:  $7M - banged up

7. DeAngelo Williams:  $6M - banged up and largely underperforming

8. Steve Smith:  $5M in dead money

9. Jonathan Stewart:  $4.6M - banged up and largely underperforming

10. Luke Kuechly: $3.4M - yay!

That tells the story in a nutshell.  We're still 2-1 and tied for the division lead, but when you look at what we're getting out of our salary cap usage, it ain't good and you can't blame it all on Hurney either.  Hurney didn't tag Hardy or release Smitty.

I was considering making this thread.  He's been virtually invisible all season long.  He and Hardy are combining for about $25M of our cap space and we're getting virtually nothing in return.  That's our biggest issue honestly.  If you look at our top cap hits, we're not getting much ROI.

1. Greg Hardy:  $13.1M - inactive indefinitely

2. Charles Johnson:  $11.2M - underperforming

3. Jon Beason:  $8M in dead money

4. Greg Olsen:  $7.8M - yay!  getting out money's worth!

5. Ryan Kalil:  $7.2M - tough to judge individually, but the unit as a whole certainly sucks

6. Cam Newton:  $7M - banged up

7. DeAngelo Williams:  $6M - banged up and largely underperforming

8. Steve Smith:  $5M in dead money

9. Jonathan Stewart:  $4.6M - banged up and largely underperforming

That tells the story in a nutshell.  We're still 2-1 and tied for the division lead, but when you look at what we're getting out of our salary cap usage, it ain't good and you can't blame it all on Hurney either.  Hurney didn't tag Hardy or release Smitty.

Man that's ugly.. real ugly.

this is hard to tell...i wonder with Hardy being out does the lack of rotation hurt him or is he being complacent because he is used to having Hardy being opposite to him....he usually makes a couple key plays in the second half especially in the 4th when Hardy was there the last couple years and i think he made at least one against the bucs this season in the 4th Qt...Time Will Tell...i really think he might have had a bad game tonight, his worst ever i suppose but it just wasnt him

I was considering making this thread. He's been virtually invisible all season long. He and Hardy are combining for about $25M of our cap space and we're getting virtually nothing in return. That's our biggest issue honestly. If you look at our top cap hits, we're not getting much ROI.

1. Greg Hardy: $13.1M - inactive indefinitely

2. Charles Johnson: $11.2M - underperforming

3. Jon Beason: $8M in dead money

4. Greg Olsen: $7.8M - yay! getting out money's worth!

5. Ryan Kalil: $7.2M - tough to judge individually, but the unit as a whole certainly sucks

6. Cam Newton: $7M - banged up

7. DeAngelo Williams: $6M - banged up and largely underperforming

8. Steve Smith: $5M in dead money

9. Jonathan Stewart: $4.6M - banged up and largely underperforming

That tells the story in a nutshell. We're still 2-1 and tied for the division lead, but when you look at what we're getting out of our salary cap usage, it ain't good and you can't blame it all on Hurney either. Hurney didn't tag Hardy or release Smitty.

And some people don't understand why we didn't go on a free agent spending spree.

Next years list doesn't look much better.

And most of it can be blamed on decisions before DG. Releasing Smith actually saved us a little bit of cap room this year, and a considerable amount the next 2 years.

Archived