• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

WR or OT

SgtJoo

Cooper is a pipe dream I'm afraid. He may even go #1 overall and will almost certainly be out of our reach, IMHO. While that sucks, it's OK because I'd rather have an OT.

i highly doubt he'll go #1 overall and we'll probably be picking in the top 5

The real question is will an OT of value make it to the 2nd round. Considering our luck in the 1st round, are you guys willing to trust our record on 2nd round picks to be the blindside protector of Cam?

Just as RBs are undervalued in the draft OTs are generally overvalued. Once you get past the first few in the draft I would guess they are rarely BPA. As others have stated I would hate to count on a later round reach to fill what is probably our biggest need.

With that being said, if I am picking in the top 10 I'm not just looking for a quality starter. I'm looking for that player who could be a perennial all pro. Cooper might fit that profile better then any of the tackles in the draft.

Maybe we can sign a quality tackle in free agency and still draft Cooper......I can dream right?

if we "reach" i will not be mad.  he/she/it will be better than (insert name here)

You say that now, but do a little time travel to 2007.  The Raiders Needed a QB and took Jamarcus Russell.  The pick behind him.  Calvin Johnson went #2 to the Lions.  The Raiders passed on one of the greatest WR's of all time for a Bust of a QB, because well you know, they needed a QB more.  It should always, ALWAYS be BPA.  

By the way Amari Cooper is being compared to AJ Green and Julio Jones.  

Just as RBs are undervalued in the draft OTs are generally overvalued. Once you get past the first few in the draft I would guess they are rarely BPA. As others have stated I would hate to count on a later round reach to fill what is probably our biggest need.

With that being said, if I am picking in the top 10 I'm not just looking for a quality starter. I'm looking for that player who could be a perennial all pro. Cooper might fit that profile better then any of the tackles in the draft.

Maybe we can sign a quality tackle in free agency and still draft Cooper......I can dream right?

I just have nightmares of starting Bell at LT again next year. There are a couple OT's coming up next year in free agency but most are RT's and will likely be retained by their teams. The only LT I can see jumping ship is Roos who's 33 coming off injury. I'd imagine Barksdale, Derek Newton, Bulaga and Free will be retained but they're just RT's. 

I understand the Cooper hype, I'd cream my pants too if we could grab him but if we can't trade or address the LT position through free agency or the draft how can we honestly expect Cam to stay healthy? I know being a high pick isn't a guarantee of success but I honestly don't feel confident in Gettleman's ability to judge OT's after being satisfied with the Bell/Chandler combo. 

if we end up with a top 5 pick i believe you have to go bpa.  our next picks at the top of the second and third rd will be better than what we have currently in most positions of need i.e wr/ot/s/cb/rb/.  

You say that now, but do a little time travel to 2007.  The Raiders Needed a QB and took Jamarcus Russell.  The pick behind him.  Calvin Johnson went #2 to the Lions.  The Raiders passed on one of the greatest WR's of all time for a Bust of a QB, because well you know, they needed a QB more.  It should always, ALWAYS be BPA.  

By the way Amari Cooper is being compared to AJ Green and Julio Jones.  

i was talking about reaching in the 2nd rd.  im bpa in the first all the way at this point.

Td I love ya like family but no with the BPA. It doesn't build franchises.

Thanks for the family sentiment.

Well, I think BPA is debatable especially in the first couple of rounds. But, you know me, the next draft I am taking a WR with my first pick, unless there is a LT that is simply a sure thing.  But between Cooper and Scherff (let's say), then Cooper is my guy (or maybe some other WR).  

For the record I would much rather pick up a competent veteran at LT in FA  (or possibly a trade) if one becomes available. This philosophy should extends to the whole of the OL, in my opinion, because at least you know what you're getting.  As for BPA, my problem with Gettleman is that he apparently believes in BPA "'til it hurts", if you know what I'm saying.  I think that if you go BPA at all costs, without taking the bigger puzzle into account, then you're apt to get something of the mess that we've seen this year.  

For me, there has to be a compromise between BPA and need within the confines of your own unique bigger picture (including what you were and weren't able to do in FA). At least that's how I would look at it, if any of this makes any sense.

Archived