• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do we have a better chance than last year?

UKPanther94

As weird as it is to think, it's possible that as a unit, the roster as currently constructed is better than last years 12-4 Panthers even though we're only 8-8-1 but do we actually have a better chance of winning in Seattle than we did of beating the 49'ers last year?

The defense is now certainly upgraded, the secondary can hold its own without living purely off the pash rush like last year, all it's missing is Hardy who ultimately went MIA against SF anyway.

Offensively now we have Olsen at the best he's ever played and we have a 1000 yard WR, even if he still is raw, last year all we had was Smith who was touch and go with injury, although he did manage a TD but was kept in check after that by 49'ers defense

Now we have a chance to keep momentum rolling and without being stifled by the bye week, not to mention we're decisively thumping teams while we sorta limped to the post season last year with a blowout loss in NO followed by 3 tight nail biting wins against Jets, Saints and Falcons

I the defense is definitely more balanced than last year. Our secondary is a good one now and are actually helping the d-line. Our pass rush was down right scary last year. But on the chance that you could stand them up our secondary could be exploited. Now we have starting material in the secondary, while the d-line is starting to find itself with fresh players.

Offensively though I'd say no. Run blocking/Push is better this year and certainly having Stewart play his ass off helps but the weaponry is not as beneficial.  With Ginn running down Cam's deep balls, and Smith being captain clutch I still think that offense is a little better and more vertical certainly. But also keep in mind KB has dropped a lot of huge plays. Cam was also better last year in certain aspects.

Actually on second thought. The offense this year is better or has the potential to be. This group is not as flawed in the receiving core but there's a lot of inexperience there. Im in the bandwagon that Smith could have stayed and would make devastating with KB. We are running the ball now on true authority and not just on the attention Cam gets from the defense. But I still say this current offense is not nearly as vertical and the fact that Cam was big time clutch last year. 

This is 100% a house money game.

I think the Panthers win. I just hope they have something left for next week.

Still, here's my mindset for this game:

"I'd rather get blown out in Seattle and know that the Panthers couldn't beat them than lose in Green Bay and forever be left thinking that they could've beaten Seattle if that was who they got this weekend."

I will never believe the opposite, even if the Panthers lose and Dallas destroys Green Bay.

I literally feel NO PRESSURE about this game on Saturday. This is a strange, but good feeling, for once.

Vegas and the prognosticators have made it clear you're outmanned and outclassed. That you're lucky to even be where you are. You should feel ZERO pressure.

Repeat after me: "HOUSE MONEY," baby!

Honestly, we'll be lucky to advance this year. Whereas, I think with last year's team we could have won the super bowl. It's not impossible this year, but very less likely.

I wouldn't go that far. The team last season still had the same flaws offensively, but special teams was drastically better last season. Gano was much more accurate and Ginn was actually a threat to bring the ball upfield on punts.

Cam was "healthy"(even though he'd need offseason surgery eventually) and there was alot more veteran experience which helped produce big plays late to win some classic games.

Though Ealy has performed admirably down the stretch, he's obviously not the Hardy of the second half of last season.

Biggest difference though is offensive coaching. Rivera's change into Riverboat showed his confidence in the offense which seemed to spread to the entire team after the Giants win. This year, the aggressiveness has disappeared and, if not for some outstanding defense and mediocre division and Ryan Lindley down the stretch, this team would not be in the position it's in right now.

Archived