• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why is Russell Wilson a better quarterback than Cam Newton? - Seattle Times

Car123

I've read through the article three separate times.

I really think it's you that is struggling with the reading comprehension of this article.

First, the title of the article is "Why Russell Wilson is a better quarterback than Cam Newton". That leads me to believe that the article is indeed written about why Russell Wilson is a better Quarterback.

You've read it three separate times and still can't get the title right?

It's not "Why Russell Wilson is a better quarterback than Cam Newton".

It's "Why is Russell Wilson a better quarterback than Cam Newton?" It's a question, and it's one that the author immediately shoots down in the subheading when he writes "But some of the success Wilson has enjoyed comes from the playoff-ready Seahawks team he plays for."

There's no question that Wilson has had more overall success in the league so far than Newton has, but the article points out that it's not due to Newton being a crappy QB or anything like that. He writes that it has more to do with Wilson being asked to be a cog in a machine and play his role perfectly while Newton has been forced to shoulder the entire team in Carolina.

Yeah, the article makes a couple of mentions of Newton's flaws and his supposed need to be more mature, but overall, it's a very positive look at Newton (including lines like "In 2011, Newton began his NFL career with back-to-back 400-yard passing performances, and he became the first rookie to throw for more than 4,000 yards. His skills — the big arm and good touch on deep throws, the fast and powerful running style, the charisma, the confidence he inspires — are ridiculous.").

You've read it three separate times and still can't get the title right?

It's not "Why Russell Wilson is a better quarterback than Cam Newton".

It's "Why is Russell Wilson a better quarterback than Cam Newton?" It's a question, and it's one that the author immediately shoots down in the subheading when he writes "But some of the success Wilson has enjoyed comes from the playoff-ready Seahawks team he plays for."

There's no question that Wilson has had more overall success in the league so far than Newton has, but the article points out that it's not due to Newton being a crappy QB or anything like that. He writes that it has more to do with Wilson being asked to be a cog in a machine and play his role perfectly while Newton has been forced to shoulder the entire team in Carolina.

Yeah, the article makes a couple of mentions of Newton's flaws and his supposed need to be more mature, but overall, it's a very positive look at Newton (including lines like "In 2011, Newton began his NFL career with back-to-back 400-yard passing performances, and he became the first rookie to throw for more than 4,000 yards. His skills — the big arm and good touch on deep throws, the fast and powerful running style, the charisma, the confidence he inspires — are ridiculous.").

fug backhanded compliments

But it’s not just because Wilson is a perfect study, and Newton is flawed and freewheeling.

There are more reasons why Russel and Cam are different besides the obvious reasons of "Wilson is perfect" and "Cam is flawed and freewheeling"...

What in the actual fug is this?

I just want to get this right in my head, the author accepts the "facts" that Russel is perfect and Cam is flawed, but he doesn't want to stop there.  He says that Russel's overwhelming intelligence and demeanor have to be mentioned but they should not be used as attacks on the lesser QBs like Kap and Cam.

This pretentious, self-righteous muckraker has attempted to mask his hit piece on Cam in a twisted worship piece on Wilson.  There are not many if one Panther fan I know or media member that would take the low road like this because we all pretty much respect Wilson for what he has accomplished.  

The author really missed the mark if it was supposed to paint each QB in the best light while illustrating the actual differences without letting personal feelings or hearsay enter the equation.  Some of the things in this article are just flat out fiction.

The only thing I got from this article is the evidence that weed is now indeed legal in Washington.

I smoke weed daily and I have never said anything that fuging retarded. How do these writers have jobs? Or is it just a blog? If im the owner of a company I'd at least want some thought put in the article. This dude clearly has no idea what he's talking about. How is Cam spoiled? If anything Russel is the spoiled one. Cam has done nothing but over come adversity since he got here, day 1. Russel was drafted on a team where he could play the choir boy routine to a T. Cam doesn't work hard and only relys on his talent/athleticism to get by? Have you seen Cams supporting cast this year? How about his oline? Cam has worked for EVERYTHING he has gotten. Sorry this post isn't directed at you uncpanther I've just had enough of these bullsh*t "professional analysts" they don't know a fuging thing.

Did't read the article/

As I've said over and over again - the biggest variable that sets them apart is RW's consistency. I will add that RW probably does put more time into preparation and studying. Definitely not suggesting Cam doesn't do those things because he obviously does. With that said there isn't a QB in the league I want over Cam Newton. He impressed me more this year with everything he went through and came out fighting and putting the team on his back. Cam leaves it all on the field every game. If people don't realize that, then they shouldn't write uninformed and opinionated articles.

As someone who can look objectively, yea, Russel does have Cam in the Maturity category, but to say he's the "hard worker" while Cam isn't?...um, no.  Cam is one of the hardest working people in the NFL.  He's crazy and erratic because I'd venture to say he plays with his emotion too much.  When he's out there having fun, slinging the rock around and enjoying the game, he is unstoppable, but he does let his mistakes stick in his own head and he rides himself too hard...hardly the "spoiled" persona exemplified in that statement.  At the end of the day, sometimes emotional and sometimes crazy guys can not only get the job done, but can be NFL greats, just look at Brett Farve.

Archived