• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you take Peyton Manning as a first year OC?

Hotsauce

When he retires he isn't going to go into coaching.  He will go to TV where he will make more money in 5 years than he could make in a lifetime of coaching.

Think about it.

He is smart, looks good on TV, and is widely accepted as one of the best to ever play the position.

He will be the NFLNs answer to Jaws.

No,i would want someone with prior OC experience,something Manning doesn't have. However,i would welcome him as a QB coach,a lower positrion that he would probably feel was beneath him.

It seems like he has been an OC for the last five or six years he has played.

Manning would be one of the best OCs in the league, everyone will want him. The OC and the QB on the field communicate by radio, you'd basically be giving your QB Manning’s brain up until the snap

If he does go into coaching, he'd be a top flight OC for a few years before being made a HC. I'd like to see him become head coach at his alma mater Tennessee

That said, he'll probably either be a bigtime TV analyst or become a GM, Exec Vice President or part owner of a franchise like Michael Jordan, John Elway etc. I heard the Titans already have a spot waiting for him

Just because you can make a lot of audibles at the LOS doesn't mean you'd make a good OC.

And the offenses Peyton ran only worked because those offenses had Peyton.  They always abandoned the run game.  I don't really get why so many people think Manning is guaranteed to be an even decent coach.

He could also go into politics. QB Heath Shuler was drafted #3 overall out of Tennessee, was awful in the NFL, then ran for US Congress at age 35, beat out an 8-term Congressman, and then was a 3-term US Congressman himself before deciding he would not be running another term (he won his elections by 54%, 62%, 54%) and a took lobbying position with S&P 500 company Duke Energy (the largest electric power holding company in the United States) to direct its lobbying and government affairs in Washington, D.C.

Just because you can make a lot of audibles at the LOS doesn't mean you'd make a good OC.

And the offenses Peyton ran only worked because those offenses had Peyton. They always abandoned the run game. I don't really get why so many people think Manning is guaranteed to be an even decent coach.

It's not just making a lot of audibles at the LOS scrimmage. It is reading what the defense is giving you and calling the play that best takes advantage of it. Nobody does it better than Manning. If he was your OC he'd be doing the same thing, surveying the D from the press box then radioing the best play to your QB to take advantage of what the defense is giving you

SmartFootball.com:

"The Colts’ offense was, structurally at least, among the simplest in the league for the entire time Manning was there. They used only a handful of formations ... I know that sounds a little silly, especially since we’re constantly told that NFL playbooks are incredibly dense and huge and so on, but the Colts killed people with like fifteen, maybe twenty plays, and they did it for a decade. How? ... having a quarterback who could, because the formations were simple, identify weak spots in the defense and check into the right plays"

http://smartfootball.com/offense/peyton-manning-and-tom-moores-indianapolis-colts-offense#sthash.vWDKmFId.5fsl9u1d.dpbs

"The show Peyton runs is amazing ... they have run the same few plays for the last decade. They rarely shift and instead rely on Peyton to get them to the line and find the appropriate play. ... The theory for all this is simple. Although a defense has some options and disguise some things, there are only so many things a defense can do: they might be able to disguise press or loose coverage, or rotate the secondary or send an unexpected blitzer, but they can’t move a cornerback from one side of the field to the other after the snap, and there might be blitzers but there are only so many candidates. As a result Peyton gets his team to the line and surveys the defense..and Peyton makes his choice"

http://smartfootball.com/grab-bag/smart-football-super-bowl-preview-manning-vs-brees#sthash.LQyN5edp.IHBnY6LW.dpbs

Rex Ryan on Manning:

"He is one of the smartest guys. ... he dials his own plays up. ... The guy is tremendous. There is no one else like this guy in the league. Nobody studies like him. I know [Tom] Brady thinks he does. I think there’s probably a little more help from [bill] Belichick"

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-1/Rexs-Thursday-News-Conference/c21731af-f4f6-45b8-80b3-10c3148c48ba

Yes. He got Gase a OC job.

He helped Mike McCoy get the HC job in San Diego as well.

I would take Manning as an OC in a heartbeat. His film study/preparation, mental attitude, leadership, and work ethic would be incredible for any young QB to be around on a daily basis.

Archived