• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cris Carter on RW contract

unicar15

"Take less money and take care of Lynch and others so your team can continue to be great."

Cris...please call a certain QB in the 704 area code.

It wouldn't shock me at all if Wilson does this. I have a harder time seeing Cam doing it but if

he cares at all about winning he won't let the Seahawks gain this upper hand and will give us a team friendly deal. If all he cares about is the money...he'll hold us up for a massive contract.

"Take less money and take care of Lynch and others so your team can continue to be great."

It wouldn't shock me at all if Wilson does this. I have a harder time seeing Cam doing it but if

he cares at all about winning he won't let the Seahawks gain this upper hand and will give us a team friendly deal. If all he cares about is the money...he'll hold us up for a massive contract.

What about Cam makes you think he's less likely to make a team-first move like that? If anything, I'd say Cam's endeavors in sponsorship and other things (Bell) outside of football show that he's savvy enough to capitalize on other revenue streams and that he understands winning will make those increase exponentially.

Now, no one expects a ridiculous discount, but I could see a QB in this situation sacrificing a couple million a year (say, $17MM vs. $22MM) in salary to this end.

It's much easier to talk about less money when its not your money.  Chris Carter should take less money so the makeup artist, camera guy, boom operator, etc can make more money. 

Market value is what Cam deserves, Market value is what he should get.  Period end of.

What about Cam makes you think he's less likely to make a team-first move like that? If anything, I'd say Cam's endeavors in sponsorship and other things (Bell) outside of football show that he's savvy enough to capitalize on other revenue streams and that he understands winning will make those increase exponentially.

Now, no one expects a ridiculous discount, but I could see a QB in this situation sacrificing a couple million a year (say, $17MM vs. $22MM) in salary to this end.

$17 mil, huh?

That's what you think he'll settle for? :startle:

PS: Love how the OP made a thread regarding Cam and his disposition toward the Panthers and his contract, though Carter said/knows nothing of how Russell Wilson feels.

If anything, it sounds like Carter knows, Wilson's not the one that stirs the drink in Seattle, but doesn't want to call him out like that directly, so said what he said. So I'm not exactly sure what the relation was with Cam to the OP.

Because Russell Wilson is so articulate, such a high character guy, very intelligent, blah blah blah blah.

You know the real reason, sadly.

It's not necessarily a negative about Cam's demeanor it's more of a positive outlook to RW...the guy is just different from other players. His postgame interview after he threw that pass was incredible from a maturity standpoint.

The reason I think Cam is less likely is because there is a standard for former #1s and the fact that throughout this year we heard about Cam wanting 100+ million for this contract.

The argument about Seattle having players who need to get paid and Car not is dumb. Keuchly, Star, KK off the top of my head are all guys who will be in the top 2-3 FAs at their position. So...we have guys we are gonna want to resign. We are also going to have positions we want to upgrade.

All I'm saying is that in the salary cap era you see guys like Brady, Roethlisberger and others working with their team to consistently make them contenders. Wilson will be no different IMO and Cam COULD do the same but the banter during the offseason seemed like he was going to hold our feet to the fire. You want DG to build this team to compete with the Hawks...give him money and I guarantee he'll do it.

Please take less money so we can continue to surround you with garbage.

They had 4 years to take advantage of a QB on a cheap contract and failed to do so. Carolina can pay him or someone else will.

There's guys on Seattle that deserve big time contracts before RW, can't say that about the team in Carolina.

Would agree about Cam if I thought Carolina had any intention of continuing to surround him with garbage, but that's clearly not the case. Do agree about Seatlle.

It's much easier to talk about less money when its not your money.  Chris Carter should take less money so the makeup artist, camera guy, boom operator, etc can make more money. 

Market value is what Cam deserves, Market value is what he should get.  Period end of.

The problem is that market value wrecks salary caps, and Cam could easily make a 'discount' back and more by being on a winner.  Again, no way would he take a huge reduction under market, but if a team sells a star QB on their program and where those dollars would be going and that QB sees the bigger picture (which I believe that Cam does, given his savvy and marketability) then it is perfectly feasible to see such a QB taking a little bit less in salary to get a bigger overall return.

$17 mil, huh?

That's what you think he'll settle for? :startle:

PS: Love how the OP made a thread regarding Cam and his disposition toward the Panthers and his contract, though Carter said/knows nothing of how Russell Wilson feels.

If anything, it sounds like Carter knows, Wilson's not the one that stirs the drink in Seattle, but doesn't want to call him out like that directly, so said what he said. So I'm not exactly sure what the relation was with Cam to the OP.

Was just tossing that out as a general number - can't begin to guess what he would or wouldn't take and I'm totally speculating about the 'discount' as well. However, even a couple of million a year can be the difference between keeping/signing a talented player and not.

Would agree about Cam if I thought Carolina had any intention of continuing to surround him with garbage, but that's clearly not the case. Do agree about Seatlle.

The problem is that market value wrecks salary caps, and Cam can easily make that much back and more by being on a winner.  Again, no way would he take a huge reduction under market, but if Carolina sells him on their program and where those dollars would be going and he sees the bigger picture (which I believ that he does) then it is perfectly feasible to see him taking a little bit less in salary to get a bigger overall return.

Was just tossing that out as a general number - can't begin to guess what he would or wouldn't take and I'm totally speculating about the 'discount' as well. However, even a couple of million a year can be the difference between keeping/signing a talented player and not.

Kool.

But he ain't "settling" for a $17 mil average, especially if he has a great year.

If anything, it appears Newton may "settle" for a $20 mil average, and/or take more money up front for maybe a $18 or $19 mil average?

All speculation of course, like you. But that's my feeling, as the market will keep growing. And if Cam has a big season, he would be entitled to break the bank.

the QB you speak of may be back in the 678 area code.

Cams contract will be cap friendly for the first 2 years no matter what they negotiate. And after that it will be restructured like most quarterback contracts because they are so high.  By year 7 or 8 the cap will be higher and we will be able to fit his contract and others like Kuechly and Star under it as well.  It is not as big a deal as people make it out to be.  After all Newton's cap hit this year is already 14 million and we are still way under the cap after including the dead cap money and Johnson's 20 million contract for 2015. 

We will be fine.  The issue is simply the numbers at this point not the end result.  He can get a ton of money up front and we can work it into the cap.  The concern is that we might not be able to afford him in 5 years from now but that is a long way off.  Lets see if we have rings by then or we could be moving on anyway.

Archived