• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dan Patrick vs. Cowherd

Johnny Rockets

Ive always liked Cowherd in small doses. Its entertaining and I dont need to agree with everything a person says.

Patrick is good but I find it quite boring. I at least have an opinion or response to what Cowherd says.

He really is not though, he has very well developed arguments and always tries to take a unique take on sports. People love to hate on him without every listening to a word he says. 

Cowherd's "takes," just like Bayless and everyone else at ESPN, are designed to get people riled up. Among some of his "greatest hits"

- Immediately labeled John Wall a bust and a selfish, me-first player who would fail in the NBA because he did the dougie during the introduction of his debut game. Wall has gone on to be a fixture in the DC community and helped resurrect the Wizards after the debacle that was the end of the Gilbert Arenas era.

- Blames the fact that players wear hats backwards as a sign of immaturity and poor performance or something like that...

Cowherd helps perpetuate the Cam Newton towel and celebration narrative while propping up Andrew Luck as the next NFL savior.

His takes are borderline racist and perpetuate the "TMZ" era of sports news that we live in today. The depth of his analysis treats listeners like they're thirteen years old with no concept of how sports or the real world works (which makes you wonder if ESPN programming because of the Disney connection is actually geared toward that demographic hence the complete reimaging of how they cover sports now as opposed to their heyday which, ironically, DP was a part of, but that's another thread.)

Dan Patrick, because he is on a smaller network understands that his audience knows sports and doesn't want to be talked down to. He doesn't go for the low-hanging fruit and doesn't try to make the show about him. He's great at interviews and doesn't try to troll the audience just for attention, and as you can see in this thread, it's very appreciated.

Cowherd is a douche.

You listen to his show and he will rail on and on for 8 minutes about the same point repeating what he's already said 3 or 4 times. And generally he has his head up his ass opinion wise.

Tune in an hour later and he's doing the same thing all over again on the same topic.

Only one great morning drive Sports personality I consistently liked and that was Lee Hacksaw Hamilton on 1090 in San Diego but that station has fugged with him so many times you never know if he's on the air or in what time slot.

I'm just glad Mark Thompson (Of Mark and Bryan KLOS days) has come back to the morning drive on 100.3FM in SoCal.

Mark is a huge Panther fan.

Cowherd relates life to sports, and I appreciate that. He admits that he talks about what is buzzing, and, yes, he does stir the pot and talk out of his ass sometimes.  Patrick is more of the traditional sportscaster/interviewer who sticks to the script, so to speak. Rome's shtick is interesting, as is his listener-generated material, but it does get tiring, repetitive and too cute at times.  Sometimes his show doesn't have enough meat in my opinion, and too much potatoes. I could argue that Patrick's show has too much meat and not enough potatoes. Cowherd's show is somewhere in between.

I think that all of them are good at what they do, otherwise no one would be talking about them.  Cowherd is in the local market, so I listen to him.  Rome is on an AM station that I can't pick up at work, otherwise I'd probably listen to him also (but I refuse to pay for his pod casts).

He really is not though, he has very well developed arguments and always tries to take a unique take on sports. People love to hate on him without every listening to a word he says.

Granted calling out Dan Patrick is idiotic, but 95% of the time he is a great listen.

You're obviously welcome to your opinion but I disagree. I listened to him from the beginning. I felt he started purposely taking the unpopular viewpoint because stirring the pot gets ratings. I stopped listening when he became unbearably smug. He cuts callers off and makes fun of them when he starts to lose an argument. Man does he like to toot his own horn. People listen for sports news, not for parenting advice from someone who doesn't even live with his kids.

Cowherd's "takes," just like Bayless and everyone else at ESPN, are designed to get people riled up. Among some of his "greatest hits"

- Immediately labeled John Wall a bust and a selfish, me-first player who would fail in the NBA because he did the dougie during the introduction of his debut game. Wall has gone on to be a fixture in the DC community and helped resurrect the Wizards after the debacle that was the end of the Gilbert Arenas era.

- Blames the fact that players wear hats backwards as a sign of immaturity and poor performance or something like that...

Cowherd helps perpetuate the Cam Newton towel and celebration narrative while propping up Andrew Luck as the next NFL savior.

His takes are borderline racist and perpetuate the "TMZ" era of sports news that we live in today. The depth of his analysis treats listeners like they're thirteen years old with no concept of how sports or the real world works (which makes you wonder if ESPN programming because of the Disney connection is actually geared toward that demographic hence the complete reimaging of how they cover sports now as opposed to their heyday which, ironically, DP was a part of, but that's another thread.)

Dan Patrick, because he is on a smaller network understands that his audience knows sports and doesn't want to be talked down to. He doesn't go for the low-hanging fruit and doesn't try to make the show about him. He's great at interviews and doesn't try to troll the audience just for attention, and as you can see in this thread, it's very appreciated.

Like I said 95% of the time, you picked out like 3 examples out of tens of thousands of arguments he has stated. Jesus you people bitch and moan about sports being way too PR and never interesting, then someone comes along who has a different take on things and unlike Bayless backs up what he says, and you hate on him. No wonder no one wants to go out on a limb. 

If you think he is racist there is nothing I can do for you my friend, because that is a completely different argument and I never have heard him say anything like that. 

Finally, he raved about how well Cam played vs. the Seahawks. 

This post basically screams I don't listen to Cowherd but I heard him say 4 things I don't agree with. You don't have to like him, but you can't say that he is a bad radio show host. 

Archived