• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Gettleman be tempted to draft Gurley @ 25?

CatMan72

Part of the reason running backs are devalued in the draft is because you can replace their production relatively cheaply in free agency.

A mid to late 1st rounder is going to cost you around 2 million a year regardless of his position. 2 million will get you a lot more in the RB free agent market then the OT or WR market.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign a veteran cheap RB and also draft one in the later rounds.

how is his rehab coming along anyway?  i tried to look into it but didn't find much.

gurley's injury wasn't nearly as bad, but i remember a lot of the same talk surrounding marcus lattimore going in to the draft.  he was considered a steal in the 4th for the 49ers but never even played a snap before retiring.

-the top 3 WR, top 3 LT and Landon Collins will likely be gone by #25. (3 biggest needs) 

-Gettlemen will not reach just to fill a need. (i.e. Devin Smith, Sambrailo)

-Gettlemen will take BPA.

-Gettlemen will likely fill some needs in FA especially OL & WR. 

-No telling how long D.Will, Hardy or Charles Johnson will be around. (hopefully Hardy is re-signed and CJ is extended)

...so at this point, (before the combine & FA ) I think the Panthers could take RB Todd Gurley, CB Marcus Peters or DE Alvin Dupree because they could be BPA and fill a need. 

Gettleman has repeatedly said that he will pick the BPA, not the best value available. He has also put this in action in both drafts. If Gurley grades out as the best (which is possible, though not probable IMO), we will pick him.

On this...

They had Marquis Lee ever slightly ahead of KB when it came to grading them out. They flagged Lee as undraftable due to injuries though and went with KB.

2348214_o.gif

Well that's not very appropriate when referencing someone with the talent of Todd Gurley, but to each his own.  

I have read a few articles suggesting that Gurley may still get drafted in the first round if he gets the thumbs up by teams' medical staff.  Even if he doesn't, the only reason that he won't be a first round pick is due to the injury, so I still think that your response is over the top.

Well that's not very appropriate when referencing someone with the talent of Todd Gurley, but to each his own.  

I have read a few articles suggesting that Gurley may still get drafted in the first round if he gets the thumbs up by teams' medical staff.  Even if he doesn't, the only reason that he won't be a first round pick is due to the injury, so I still think that your response is over the top.

i would like to think we've moved on from overvaluing RBs and drafting them in the first round.

i would like to think we've moved on from overvaluing RBs and drafting them in the first round.

Well, everyone has an opinion, but I agree with this one:

Third round? That's ridiculous. He'll be long gone by the time we pick in the second. He could even be gone by 25 tbh. This "RB position is dead" "take" is completely overblown. The only reason a RB hasn't been taken in the first recently is because there hasn't been one worth taking. Gurley is the best talent since Peterson and will almost certainly go in the first round if he's cleared medically. Daniel Jeremiah put it best in his podcast recently. If you have a stud RB talent and so-so talent at other positions you take the RB. That's going to be the case as the bottom half of round one shakes out. 

no way will i be disappointed if we pass him by.

we have huge needs at OT and WR and could really use help in the secondary.

RB needs are easily enough met by guys picked later or out of FA. a better line and improved passing game will do more for the run game than picking some RB in the first. i don't care how good he is.

and this team will be better off addressing those needs at OT, WR, and in the secondary early than if we spent/wasted another early pick on an RB.

Archived